• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (38 Viewers)

Birding at the Moors.
From 9am the 80% of ice covering the pool soon decreased to about 20% due totally to the freezing NE wind.
The North east woodland ( can anyone suggest a more evocative name8-P), was alive with birds even while we were working. Treecreepers, great spotted woodpecker, 6 each of siskin and redpoll, a variety of finches and hoardes of blackbird and tits.
The pool had a surprisingly good amount of species considering the icy start.
sppecies counts: GCG 3, Cormorant 8, mute swan pr, shoveler 7, teal 30, mallard 30, shelduck pr, pochard 11 (8 males), tufted 29, coot 128, water rail at least 6 called around the pool and north moors. Curlew 17, lapwing 120, Herring gull c20 overhead, green woodpecker 2, siskin 6 , redpoll 6, reed bunting 15 on feeding station. and a raven landed in the paddock opposite the NE wood
JohnB :)

Last edited:
Please note there is NO access to this section of the reserve.

I meant now there is no access, you know what I mean boss 8-P8-P8-P
Phil its been a long day mate:t:

PS - Phil I topped up the Flashes feeding table, quite a lot of food left from the weekend though

Last edited:
January ends with a total of 82 species recorded, slightly down on previous years.

New birds for the year that may be encountered in February include:
Barnacle Goose, Goldeneye, Avocet, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Dunlin, Golden Plover, Red Kite, Little Owl, Nuthatch, Stonechat, Brambling, Yellowhammer

A more outlandish potential sighting at the Flashes is the outside chance of a finished and useable hide .....

before and after work party today
1. view along east track before
2. after work. coppiced poplar tree, and trimmed all along west side of track.
which included sycamores, willows and non native trees.
3. Shows the overhanging oak before work.
4. after work. we removed some large , shadow forming branches.
the dead hedge was also strengthened.
:t:john

Attachments

• 1Moors east trak b4 work Jan 12 (2).jpg
    1Moors east trak b4 work Jan 12 (2).jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.forum 31st jan east track.jpg
    2.forum 31st jan east track.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.Oak 2 b trimmed Jan 12 East track (2).jpg
    3.Oak 2 b trimmed Jan 12 East track (2).jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 80
winter feeding station

With the current cold spell setting in for a few days , it might be worth giving the 2 feeding stations a bit more attention.
At least 10 bullfinch , 15 reed buntings and green and great spotted woodpeckers were around yesterday.

Attachments

• FORUM reed Bunt FStn Moors 31J 12 (2).jpg
    FORUM reed Bunt FStn Moors 31J 12 (2).jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Forum log ttit.jpg
    Forum log ttit.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 88
Had a play with my new scanner that one of my Daughters had bought me for Christmas.
So much easier to upload my old pics.
I have put a different slant on this tour. By that, I mean, have a guess where these pics where taken. The clue is, the year is 1988

B :)John
the 2nd and 4th pics show the same views 24 years on. the 3rd pic to follow

Attachments

• 1.for Forum NE wood 1988 (2).jpg
    1.for Forum NE wood 1988 (2).jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 69
  • NE wood hist view no 1 24yrs on from 1988 (2).JPG
    NE wood hist view no 1 24yrs on from 1988 (2).JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.NE wood from life styles 1988.jpg
    2.NE wood from life styles 1988.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 59
  • hist view no 2 24 yrs on.jpg
    hist view no 2 24 yrs on.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 57
the second pic shows the view today 24 years on from the 1st pic.

Attachments

• 3.NE wood from east gate 1988.jpg
    3.NE wood from east gate 1988.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 72
  • hist view pic 3 24 yrs on.jpg
    hist view pic 3 24 yrs on.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 82
Today's highlights on a day when I was fully expecting to see the Moors Pool frozen. In fact there was very little ice. The Flashes and North Moors were frozen.

MOORS:
Teal (26)-------------------Pochard (8m+3f)
Tufted Duck(24)-----------Shoveler (4)
Snipe (3)-------------------Curlew(17)
G C Grebe (3)--------------Mute Swan (2)
Buzzard (3)

RIVER SALWARPE:
L S Woodpecker (f) reported on PF side of river near A38 bridge.
Blackcap (m)---------------Kingfisher (2)

ED RES/S POOL:
Lesser Redpoll (3)---------Treecreeper
Mute Swan (6)

Des.

Notable movement of waders (Dunlin, Knot, Sanderling) across the West Mids in recent days - worth keeping your eye out next time you are down at Upton.

Just back from a 95% frozen Moors pool.
The number of birds was high enough to keep this small section open.
species counts.
Mute swan pr, Wigeon 3 (2 males), Shoveler 6, Mallard 145, Teal 14, Pochard 10, tufted 29, coot 144, snipe, curlew 14, lapwing 50,

spoke to Bob H who informed that one of the curlews was looking very sick yesterday on one of the scrape's islands - no sign of it today.

The sailing pool was even more frozen out with a GCG, 75 mallard and 4c mute swans ( 1 ad + 3 juvs)

The Flashes were totally frozen. the feeding station was very busy - bullfinches reed buntings etc.
The hide was being worked on, all the cladding was on and stairs were in place plus handrails.
B :)John

Attachments

• iced moors forum.jpg
    iced moors forum.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 74
  • wig forum.jpg
    wig forum.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 79
  • hide forum.jpg
    hide forum.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 145
photo of hide looks like a guards watch tower at PoW camp

Achtung! Gruppenfuhrer Corfield will enjoy his new observation point (Stalag Luft 3.5 - the number of months it will take to build); shame he will have to share it with us English swinehunts! ;)

Good to see the broken fence panel still gaping ....

Last edited:
Lots of decent birds within a 10 mile radius of Upton - Iceland Gulls at Westwood, Wildmoor and Bartley and 2 Grey Plovers at Bittell. Hopefully some decent coverage this weekend will result in some interesting sightings. Today's Wigeon shows that there is some wildfowl on the move.

The North east woodland (can anyone suggest a more evocative name8-P), was alive with birds even while we were working. Treecreepers, great spotted woodpecker, 6 each of siskin and redpoll, a variety of finches and hoardes of blackbird and tits.

In honour of Big Terry, stalwart of many a work party over the years, couldnt this be our very own Wells Wood? :-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back