• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (57 Viewers)

Phil,

The Purple Heron in 2000 spent most of its time at the Moors.

The '66 RBS was around the paddock area at the Moors. The breeding Marsh Warblers, Caspian Tern and Leach's Petrel were also, I believe, at the Moors.

The 82 was at the Flashes 3rd Flash, me and SMW found it.
the 2000 or 2002 bird was perched at the top of the north moors in a tree, then flew south , briefly landing in the hen pool.

Hi all, new to the forum so go easy 8-P

Tought I would mention this as I know we are missing a bittern at Upton warren at the moment. Well my dad was walking into work at cadbury in Bournville first thing this morning and a bittern flew over his head heading east.

Mentioned it as Bournville isn't a million miles away.

James

welcome James, with the weather all over the place at the moment there is still an outside chance of 1 coming to Upton.
B :)John

welcome James, with the weather all over the place at the moment there is still an outside chance of 1 coming to Upton.
B :)John

Cheers for the welcome John :t:

Yeah it certainly shows they are on the move! Hopefully it will liven up the reserve at the moment with a lack of a hide at the flashes.

James

Let's try that again then with the corrections and additional information:

MOORS POOL - 37
Blue-winged Teal (1968, 2 in 1980), Ferruginous Duck (1980, 1989), Purple Heron (2000), White Stork (1993), Great White Egret (2011, 2012), Spoonbill (2010), Leach's Petrel (1978), Spotted Crake (1981, 1984, 2001, 2009), Corncrake (1972), Honey Buzzard (2008), Pectoral Sandpiper (2003), Red-necked Phalarope (1972), Grey Phalarope (1996), Iceland Gull (1991), Roseate Tern (1999), Caspian Tern (1971), Alpine Swift (1973, 1992), Bee-eater (2007), Hoopoe (2011), Red-rumped Swallow (1992), Savi’s Warbler (1985, 1994), Marsh Warbler (2 in 1973, 1978), Red-backed Shrike (1966, 1977), Great Grey Shrike (1974, 1975, 1998), Rustic Bunting (1987)

FLASHES - 53
Blue-winged Teal (1989), Ferruginous Duck (1993), Great White Egret (2007), Purple Heron (1982), Spoonbill (1988, 2011, 2011), Montagu’s Harrier (1995, 2009), Spotted Crake (1999), Black-winged Stilt (2006), Temminck’s Stint (1990, 1991, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006), Least Sandpiper (1988), Pectoral Sandpiper (1970, 1971, 1972, 1984, 1986, 2003, 2010), Wilson’s Phalarope (1985, 2007), Red-necked Phalarope (1989, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011), Grey Phalarope (2007, 2008, 2010), Long-tailed Skua (1987), Laughing Gull (1996), Sabine’s Gull (1994, 2009), Iceland Gull (1994), Shorelark (3 in 1996, 2008), Richard’s Pipit (1967), Bluethroat (1982, 2011), Marsh Warbler (2005), Yellow-browed Warbler (1986), Red-backed Shrike (1999), Great Grey Shrike (1993)

SAILING POOL - 2
White-winged Black Tern (1971), Hoopoe (2007)

EDUCATION RESERVE - 5
Honey Buzzard (2004), Hoopoe (1985), Yellow-browed Warbler (2003), Golden Oriole (1982, 2000)

I haven't posted a table for a bit so here's one showing the variation in performance between the two sides of the reserve over the last 45 years when it comes to rarities / scarcities. The Moors out-performed the Flashes until the early 1980s but since then its been the saline side all the way (boosted by the phalarope explosion of recent years):

Attachments

• Moors vs Flashes.jpg
    Moors vs Flashes.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 65
One could wax lyrical for post after post about the virtues of both the Flashes and Moors Pool, not forgetting the Sailing Pool and Education Reserve. Whilst I could recall the head-shaking display of Great Crested Grebes and head-bobbing courtship of Ruddy Ducks at the Moors Pool, or the frantic activity of the Little Ringed Plovers at the Flashes, I will keep this post to good, old-fashioned rarity hunting.

I have documented below those species that have occurred at Upton Warren that appear on the national rarity scarcity channels of the bird information services; this does throw up some oddities when comparing national scarcities to local scarcities (eg Upton has had more Red-necked Phalaropes than Dippers, Temminck’s Stints than Gannets, Pectoral Sandpipers than Slavonian Grebes, Blue-winged Teals than Velvet Scoters etc). Where a bird visited several parts of the reserve I have allocated it to the area it mostly frequented.

I think that's true of most inland sites;)

Brian

The latest update on the Trust website reads:

"The finishing touches are currently being made to the Avocet Hide at the Flash Pools and we will open it as soon as possible ....... we'll let you know when the Avocet Hide has re-opened. We apologise for the delay in the work"

As long as they have apologised thats OK.

Been down the Mecca for a few hours today.
Birded at the Moors (report later)then went to the Flashes.

here are some pics of the hide
Still a bit of work to be done to path, screening and interior. I think the builders have packed up and gone as the external build appears to be completed.
I am sure we are on the final leg.

Attachments

• 1.view from north side.JPG
    1.view from north side.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 2.view from south (2).jpg
    2.view from south (2).jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 3.from front.JPG
    3.from front.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 139

Still a bit of work to be done to path, screening and interior. I think the builders have packed up and gone as the external build appears to be completed.

Looks a bit wonky to me mate 8-P

The main Moors pool was about 80% frozen.
The temperature was at freezing point when I arrived at 11am, rising to 2 degrees by 3pm with a moderate South easterly making it feel even colder.
A slight increase in duck numbers since Tuesday (7th Feb). Very few passerines about.
species counts at Moors
GCG, Little grebe, greylag pr, canadas 80, mute swan pr, shoveler 7 (3prs + male), Teal 8, Mallard 30, Pochard 27 (18 males), Tufted 35 (19 males), Coot 175. water rail - heard, lapwing 1,Herring gull c35 moved south amongst 45 LBBG, buzzard,
moors feeding station: bullfinch c10, reed bunting 12

at the Flashes
pools totally frozen.
10 teal and 20 mallard were on the grass in front of the sewage works.
at the feeding staion: 7 bullfinch, 10 reed bunting and 3 robin. Put a load of food out and a cover over the part of the cage. Anyone going down tomorrow can you take some food.

sad news: a curlew was seen to do the splits on the ice a few days ago. Later it was sprawled out on one of the islands looking quite ill and sometime afterwards was killed and eaten by crows.:-C
john

Attachments

• 80% frozen 10th Feb (2).jpg
    80% frozen 10th Feb (2).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

If someone asked me how much that cost........What a pile of ****! How embarassing. :C:eek!:

did they have some odd windows left over from three previous jobs also i think they need their spirit level checking!

Does anyone else get this message (or something similar) when trying to access Brian's site?
Server Error in Application "49251048-WORCESTERBIRDINGNEWS.CO.UK"

is this relevent it is'nt really bringing anything to the table is it!:-O ain't been down for a little while busy with this and that but unable to make this w'end due to having crushed my little finger at work hope to get down soon and should be ok for the last work party, see ya all soon, soz about 1st line, could'nt resist!

is this relevent it is'nt really bringing anything to the table is it!:-O ain't been down for a little while busy with this and that but unable to make this w'end due to having crushed my little finger at work hope to get down soon and should be ok for the last work party, see ya all soon, soz about 1st line, could'nt resist!

Easy Trace ;)

Would be good to see you at the work party on the 4th March (next one is actually on the 19th Feb).

NEW HIDE*****NEW HIDE******

I know there's a lot of ill feeling about this and I totally understand everybody's frustration and anger but we really need to move on. We have a new hide, it will be open soon, and I can guarantee everybody, that when we're sat in there come the spring, watching the activity on the Flashes, we'll be wondering why we were getting our y-fronts in such a twist. Unfortunately, the cost of progress can sometimes be painful, but we learn from our errors and make sure next time we don't repeat them.

Paul, I truly admire your optimism and happy-go-lucky attitude. I've become very cynical over the years but I'm a realist. Unfortunately, this hide is completely woeful in every aspect. It should be condemned fortwith. I'm sorry, but that is my honest opinion.

Our NEW HIDE!

NEW HIDE*****NEW HIDE******

I know there's a lot of ill feeling about this and I totally understand everybody's frustration and anger but we really need to move on. We have a new hide, it will be open soon, and I can guarantee everybody, that when we're sat in there come the spring, watching the activity on the Flashes, we'll be wondering why we were getting our y-fronts in such a twist. Unfortunately, the cost of progress can sometimes be painful, but we learn from our errors and make sure next time we don't repeat them.

Personally I can't wait to use it! What it looks like probably doesn't matter to most people - as long as our viewing angle and position is similar to the older one, that there is more space and it is safer to access then I am sure it will be fine. Doubters will soon get use to it I expect? We may have to make some adjustments to how we set up our cameras and tripods but we'll soon adjust I'm sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back