• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More with the Ricoh GX100 (1 Viewer)

Neil

I'm still quite impressed with the Ricoh. I noticed today with some rain about and slightly cooler temps that there didn't seem to be as much noise in the images. Here are a couple of non-birds taken at about 7 metres with Self-timer. Neil

Ricoh GX100 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
August 2007

Attachments

• dragonfly.gx100.raw.crop.adj R0014099.jpg
    dragonfly.gx100.raw.crop.adj R0014099.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 260
  • dragonfly.gx100.iso80.10.5mm.crop.adj R0014191.jpg
    dragonfly.gx100.iso80.10.5mm.crop.adj R0014191.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 260
Jules,
I used the EVF for these shots and AF. I'm still finding that my manual focusing skills are not that good. The EVF is nice to have on a straight scope when you don't want the camera at eye level.
Although I like this camera I can't recommend it's price performance. It is expensive with the EVF. The Nikon P5000 is half the price and the Fuji F31fd is 1/3 the price. Quite a premium for RAW,24 mm and EVF. I would prefer a rotatable screen to it's EVF if I could get one. This is why I would still like to try the Canon G6 if I could find one.
Neil.

Thanks for the info Neil. It is indeed very expensive. Anyway, it is not wise to to buy a P&S since August is a big announcement month - Canon in particular (30D, A640 ???). In Sept. we will have the choice between new models and the discounted discontinued ones.

Jules,
Yes , I've heard there will be big DSLR announcements from Canon and Nikon too. Neil.

Yea... I'm watching this daily on DPreview.com. My 20D would be due for a replacement and I would'nt mind a A640 with IS.... or a faster P5000 We'll see... :-C

Regards
Jules

A640 macro

Yea... I'm watching this daily on DPreview.com. My 20D would be due for a replacement and I would'nt mind a A640 with IS.... or a faster P5000 We'll see... :-C

Regards
Jules

Hi Guys, as you mentioned the A640, thought i`d post this taken with one the other day in fairly blowy conditions. Yes it would be an even better camera with I.S.
Rob.

Attachments

• C.Emerald.JPG
    C.Emerald.JPG
    754.9 KB · Views: 224
Jules,
I can understand your view after reading the DPReview. But what about the resolution test? Impressive. I'm going to be shooting mostly in RAW with this camera. Ricoh have brought out several Firmware updates to correct minor problems.
The attached photo was taken with the GX100 in RAW with the Nikon 3x tele-extender.
Neil

Attachments

• test.gx100.nik3x.raw.crop.adj R0014216.jpg
    test.gx100.nik3x.raw.crop.adj R0014216.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 246
Jules,
I can understand your view after reading the DPReview. But what about the resolution test? Impressive. I'm going to be shooting mostly in RAW with this camera. Ricoh have brought out several Firmware updates to correct minor problems.
The attached photo was taken with the GX100 in RAW with the Nikon 3x tele-extender.
Neil

The resolution is indeed superb as well as your photograph by the way. However, IMO a DSLR is better suited than a P&S to photograph flowers and other macro work when high resolution is desired if one has both.

I am not sure that the difference in resolution between decent cameras is such a big factor in digiscoping. It seems to me that the 2 main factors for quality pictures in digiscoping are:
1- The photographer !
2- The suitability of the camera for digiscoping: small diameter lens, low zoom, manual controls, focus speed, RAW, swivel LCD or viewfinder, etc.

As an example, if I look at your water lily photographs, there does not seem to be a difference to the eye in resolution between the different RAW pictures, even if the GX100 is said to be the best. IMO, the difference in resolution is so small that it will not show up on a bird photograph at 30 meters. I am not even sure that we would see a difference between a JPG and a RAW picture taken with the same camera at that distance - of course, RAW would show its colours in post-processing.

What do you think ?

By the way, the important weaknesses of the GX100 (for my needs) after reading the DPreview are:
1- High ISO noise
2- Low quality viewfinder
3- 5.5 sec. to save a RAW pic
4- So-so video quality
5- Price

Jules,
I agree with your comments. One of the points I try to show in the photos that they can all take good digiscoped images and the differences are minor as you say.
The AF on the Nikon 8400 and Olympus 7070wz are still better than some of these new cameras.
I just posted some Ricoh GX100 images on PBase.
http://www.pbase.com/neilfif11/inbox

Neil.

Jules,
I agree with your comments. One of the points I try to show in the photos that they can all take good digiscoped images and the differences are minor as you say.
The AF on the Nikon 8400 and Olympus 7070wz are still better than some of these new cameras.
I just posted some Ricoh GX100 images on PBase.
http://www.pbase.com/neilfif11/inbox

Neil.

Yeah, I digiscoped with my old Oly C5050 for years and never had a problem with the Af once. Not like the F31 although now I've got it set up on the adaptor I only get it now and then.

Nice pics on pbase btw. In good light the camera works well. There's some backround noise in a couple but on the whole they are all good and the subject matter is good in all of them which is what counts.

Paul.

I just discovered something interesting with the Ricoh GX 100. I went out in the rain this afternoon to test the camera in RAW and B and W modes. I selected B and W , and then RAW and the screen goes to B and W. When I looked at the photos on the computer the RAW files were in color and the JPEGs ( the camera takes a RAW plus JPEG ) were in B and W. I think this is a nice feature to get both. Of course I could do it in the computer later.
I also upgraded the Firmware to the latest version 1.16 (this is my second update ).
Walking around the streets you soon find the advantage of the 24 mm lens when photographing buildings.
Neil.

I have noticed a bit of noise with the Ricoh, as pointed out by DPReview, but I decided to wander around Hong Kong in the rain today to test out the B and W feature and the Noise.
The image on the left is straight out of the camera (RAW) and the right hand image has been run through Noiseware and adjusted. I'm not an expert with Noiseware so I usually just use the Weaker Noise setting.
I'm happy to get some reasonable images in this low light situation. Neil.

Ricoh GX100
Hong Kong,
China.
August 2007

Attachments

• wanchai.iso800.orig2 R0014355.jpg
    wanchai.iso800.orig2 R0014355.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 235
  • wanchai.iso800.nware2 R0014355.jpg
    wanchai.iso800.nware2 R0014355.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 232
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back