• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (22 Viewers)

Did anybody else find the photos of the S Heron on the Spurn website hilarious. What a setting, it just needed an umbrella under its wing to cap it off, poor little thing!!!! What a bird though.

Has there been many records of this in Yorks? Im sure Ive heard of others in the recent past but was just wondering how regular they were in our region.

Did anybody else find the photos of the S Heron on the Spurn website hilarious. What a setting, it just needed an umbrella under its wing to cap it off, poor little thing!!!! What a bird though.

Has there been many records of this in Yorks? Im sure Ive heard of others in the recent past but was just wondering how regular they were in our region.

Hi John

As far as I can work out (from birdguides data) it would represent the 5th Yorkshire record... (accepted)

1844 - West Yorkshire - Pontefract (dead)
1902 - East Yorkshire - Everingham (picked up alive)
1979 - East Yorkshire - Easington (c16/17 days)
1994 - South Yorkshire - Doncaster (c5 days)

So definately a good yorkshire bird! I would have liked to have seen it, I had to make do with the Notts Great White Egret today - which showed well this am (photos on my blog)

Cheers, Andy

It WAS quite amusing! Aside from the fact it was a lost bird making the best of it in a howling gale, it's worth mentioning that I've seen a lot of squaccos along the Nile & they do seem happy enough in 'odd' situations for herons: roadsides, hotel patios (!), roofs in quite built-up areas, boats etc etc. Some can be quite distant from water (not the boats, obviously...)

At the start of the new year, in part due to the costs of fuel, I started to watch "my local patch" (Cottingham) closley. I set myself an area of 1 square mile from my home, ie walking distance, and today recorded my 50th species, a pair of tree creepers. Not a massive list by any means but is becoming a little addictive

My birding is similar these days, virtually all on foot in the area around my Dad's house, though my visits are only one weekend a month. I've notched up about 130 in the last 4 years of doing this... 110 so far this year.

Jane Turner, who is a regular on BF, has recently recorded her 193rd garden tick on the Wirral. That takes the serious biscuit. And there was me happy with 25 magpies on the roof opposite:eek!:

Hi Mannix, I would be very interested in seeing the local counts from other areas, I have now "hit" 51 as I had 9 Mistle Thrushs' today|:D|

Dave

Hi Dave. I realised that my lane is not really for this section as it is just over the Yorks border in Notts by about 500 yards but just to let you know that this lane is about three quarters of a mile long, has flood fields for the river Idle on one side of it and a sand quarry on the other and along it in my 4 years of birding I have noted 109 species.
Cheers.

Strid

Had trip up to Strid today, saw Nuthatch, Dipper, Gooseander, Buzzard, Mandarin and a gull catching a crayfish.

Attachments

• Dipper.jpg
    Dipper.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Mandarin.jpg
    Mandarin.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Gull-Crayfish.jpg
    Gull-Crayfish.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 97
Hi John

As far as I can work out (from birdguides data) it would represent the 5th Yorkshire record... (accepted)

1844 - West Yorkshire - Pontefract (dead)
1902 - East Yorkshire - Everingham (picked up alive)
1979 - East Yorkshire - Easington (c16/17 days)
1994 - South Yorkshire - Doncaster (c5 days)

So definately a good yorkshire bird! I would have liked to have seen it, I had to make do with the Notts Great White Egret today - which showed well this am (photos on my blog)

Cheers, Andy

When I got the Thorpe Marsh bird I wasn't seriously Yorkshire listing and didn't realise its significance as a county tick. I was pre-occupied with it being a lifer! I'm surprised at the few records for the county. I would imagine the bird the other day was quite popular.

Thanks for the info on the S heron Andy. I knew it was a special bird but didnt realise how few records there had been for Yorkshire. Those who managed to see it must have been well chuffed. Well, its been westerlies all week, will anything turn up, lets hope so!

That looks like a signal crayfish to me... that gull is doing us all a favour.

Theres loads of those 'yanks' in The River Wharfe between Ilkley & the Strid, I know a guy who goes 'fishing' for them to try and lower the numbers, he had one in a bucket last month when I was over that way and if you have not seen one they are big blighters, more a small lobster with a right pair of nasty pincers. Not good.

hatfield moors

hi folks. I have been trying to find a map which shows the different areas of hatfield moors but without any sucess. any help would be gratefully accepted.
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back