• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (27 Viewers)

Thing is, it's a long journey if it's going to be so windy that the birds are all hunkered down in the bushes. Wish I could get on Monday, it looks ok for then.

Looking windy at Spurn tomorrow but enjoy it. Popped over today with Graham, not an awful lot about and the wind too high to keep anything in view for long.

Comedy classic: Long Tailed Skua was reported over the radio.

Andy: There's some people wanting to know the best place to view the LTS
Answer: Lincolnshire

Other birds of note were a Jack Snipe that didn't move for hours, Lapland bunting that flew past us and then disappeared and a Yellow Browed Warbler that was trapped at Kew, shown to the assembled crowd and then disappeared.

Looking windy at Spurn tomorrow but enjoy it. Popped over today with Graham, not an awful lot about and the wind too high to keep anything in view for long.

Comedy classic: Long Tailed Skua was reported over the radio.

Andy: There's some people wanting to know the best place to view the LTS
Answer: Lincolnshire

Other birds of note were a Jack Snipe that didn't move for hours, Lapland bunting that flew past us and then disappeared and a Yellow Browed Warbler that was trapped at Kew, shown to the assembled crowd and then disappeared.

You can't tick dead birds Jim!

Oh no, it bobbed, it preened but stayed in the same place for ages.

as many expletives and vile swear words as you wish to put in........I wish I had been there! That is my main bogey bird.
I have been where jack snipe are supposed to be active all day, where they play around like mad things, where they are so common you fall over them....have I seen one..... have I f.... no!

Both tarts ticks at Pugneys!

Also sootie, bonxie and redwing today.

Attachments

• IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
A fun day out with the RSPB members group on Saturday north of the border to Teesmouth. Windy day but it stayed dry. Low tide at Greatham Creek produced a very smart looking Greenshank and a few Blackwits. The attached pic does actually show some basking seals just below the power station on Seal Sands (honest).

After lunch it was of to the reserve at Saltholme. Added Curlew Sand, Little Stint and Ruff to my year list. Perhaps the most spectacular sight was large flocks of Goldfinch looking very pretty in the late afternoon sunlight and being able to year tick the transporter bridge.

Finally a quick stop off just south of the reserve at a roadside lagoon produced several Spotshanks, Black-necked Grebe and a couple of Little Egrets bringing the day total to 5.

Attachments

• Greatham Creek thumb.jpg
    Greatham Creek thumb.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Transporter Bridge thumb.jpg
    Transporter Bridge thumb.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
A fun day out with the RSPB members group on Saturday north of the border to Teesmouth. Windy day but it stayed dry. Low tide at Greatham Creek produced a very smart looking Greenshank and a few Blackwits. The attached pic does actually show some basking seals just below the power station on Seal Sands (honest).

After lunch it was of to the reserve at Saltholme. Added Curlew Sand, Little Stint and Ruff to my year list. Perhaps the most spectacular sight was large flocks of Goldfinch looking very pretty in the late afternoon sunlight and being able to year tick the transporter bridge.

Finally a quick stop off just south of the reserve at a roadside lagoon produced several Spotshanks, Black-necked Grebe and a couple of Little Egrets bringing the day total to 5.
Our local club (Nidderdale Birdwatchers ) had a trip up there a couple of weeks ago and had a great day out,always plenty to see both on the reserve and in the surrounding area some great cakes in the reserve cafe for soft old beggars like me who need a top up at the end of the day.

most spectacular sight was large flocks of Goldfinch looking very pretty in the late afternoon sunlight and being able to year tick the transporter bridge.

Saw that bridge on the 'Coast' tv program for the first time a couple of days ago, and chanced on it again here. Does look quite bizarre. Nice one.

Had my first proper crack at sea watching yesterday. Went to Spurn in the hope of catching up with some of the more scarce sea birds. Couldn't get there 'till half 3 and it seems most of the goodies had passed by then. I missed Leach's by 10 minutes apparently but grey phal, cory's and both pom and LT skua had been reported earlier in the day. Still managed to get onto plenty of sooties, a few manxies and RT divers and the highlight were 3 blue phase fulmars moving north. Also had 2 arctic skua south and 2 bonxies north. Despite the inevitable lulls, I actually really enjoyed it.

Called in at canal scrape hide on the way home for my first effort at digiscoping. Results weren't great to be honest; they certainly don't merit being posted! I'll blame the fading light and try harder next time!

Looks like my visit was a day too early anyway. Red brested fly, wryneck, little bunting, yellow browed warbler all new in today and all target birds for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back