• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help, I'm losing my mind over finding new Binoculars! (1 Viewer)

Wow, everyone!
I didn't expect that large volume of reply in such a short time. I must say now I have a whole new line to compare. I will say that I like the comparison chart that J. Moore posted. I looked at it ones before but then couldn't find it again. That chart is the reason I was think of the vortex razors. As for the SLC I don't like the idea of the focus wheel being in the front. I know that it all comes down to personal opinion. That is why I'm having such a hard time with the purchase.

I guess I should have add that I wear eye glasses. Someone sent me an email suggesting the Atlas but their eye relief is only 15 that would be big step down from what I have now and I think that would be the biggest downfall that I would notice.

Also I live in Bristol. I guess I should say TN. I love Eagle Optics they have help me so much in the past. I usually ask them for help, but they are a company and sometimes it nice to hear what other have to say.

Thank you everyone and keep them coming.

Also sorry about the username, my name is Zak. I wish I could have used that but after 6 failed attempt in creating a username I resorted to using one that never has let me down. Lets just say I have been a fly fisherman for a long time.

I thought that was funny ronh.

My post was not intended as a personal attack, not sure why you interpreted it that way. (You did in fact state in another thread that you thought the review I cited was biased because it ranked Meoptas low.) Sorry to others for the distraction.

In any event, I think the chart I linked to in my previous post is quite useful (to OP esp.) since it summarizes lots of info about a number of brands on a single page. Though I agree its rankings should be taken with a grain of salt because they are just a summary of preferences of several individuals engaged in a comparison test.

Best,
Jim

LOL... and you keep talking...

Last edited:
Wow, everyone!
I didn't expect that large volume of reply in such a short time. I must say now I have a whole new line to compare. I will say that I like the comparison chart that J. Moore posted. I looked at it ones before but then couldn't find it again. That chart is the reason I was think of the vortex razors. As for the SLC I don't like the idea of the focus wheel being in the front. I know that it all comes down to personal opinion. That is why I'm having such a hard time with the purchase.

I guess I should have add that I wear eye glasses. Someone sent me an email suggesting the Atlas but their eye relief is only 15 that would be big step down from what I have now and I think that would be the biggest downfall that I would notice.

Also I live in Bristol. I guess I should say TN. I love Eagle Optics they have help me so much in the past. I usually ask them for help, but they are a company and sometimes it nice to hear what other have to say.

Thank you everyone and keep them coming.

Other than listing some objective data, I wouldn't put too much stock in that chart. If you stay around here for any length of time you will find some very honest opinions by highly qualified and experienced optics experts that are diametrically opposed. Just in looking at that chart I take objection with the fit and feel scores of my Ultravids, a few points low one one subjective catagory can skew the final score, and the one tenth of a point difference between the Ultravids and ELs is way too close to call. Like I said there are equally reputable folks here who pick either Nikon, Zeiss, Leica or Swaro as having the absolute best optics.

You really have to try with your own eyes, but in your price bracket I would definitely give the Meoptas, Nikon LXL and Zen EDs a try.

John

Also sorry about the username, my name is Zak. I wish I could have used that but after 6 failed attempt in creating a username I resorted to using one that never has let me down. Lets just say I have been a fly fisherman for a long time.

I thought that was funny ronh.

Zak,

And here I thought you were an Italian making an alphanumeric phonetic spelling for your name Fiachi Ferrar. :)

Well, if you were losing your mind to begin with, reading the posts on this thread probably drove you full tilt Bozo! :)

As Martin mentioned earlier, a Meopta that might please both you as a newbie binofan (but not newbie birder) and a more discriminating birding optics aficionado like Jim is the Meopta 8x32.

Read Frank D's review:
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14996

Note his comments about the color bias, or lack of, Jim.

Frank's photo of the 8x42 and 8x32 together also gives a sense of scale.

As far as the reported "Ambervision" color bias of full sized Meoptas, Clay from Swarovski explained on another thread how earlier Swaros had a yellowish bias for hunters who use their bins in awful weather (like today's "white out" conditions in some parts of PA) and for "glassing" against the snow.

Although I don't hunt, I do "bird" in the winter, but I would rather have a bin with bright "neutral colored" images and high ER so if necessary, I could use sunglasses to tone down the glare of snow cover in the winter while still providing me excellent color fidelity in the spring, summer, and fall.

According to Frank, it appears Meopta designed the 8x32 model with birders in mind and so made them more "color neutral".

So for those who don't like the "pinky focuser" on the 8x30 SLC, the Meopta 8x32 might be a suitable alternative.

I hope to try one next spring.

Last edited:
You are within a $100 of this binocular. 30 day return policy, but item has to be in new condition.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...cnew-8x30-wb-binocular-with-snap-shot-adapter

I would agree with Mooreorless. Stretch it another $100.00 and get the Swarovski's. If I had $800.00 to spend I would definitely try for a Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica. I would not hesitate to order the Swarovski 8x30 SLC's from Eagle Optics.You will be happier in the long run if you do. When you order them get the winged eyecups because they really make a big difference and they are only $19.95(http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/swarovski/swarovski-slc-8x30-binoculars-eye-shield).Eagle Optics is an excellent place to deal with.You can not beat that bargain! If you want to risk E-bay here is a pair of the Swarovski's 8x30 SLC for $749.99 which is in your price range and they are new in the box. I would jump on that. In fact I might buy them myself! That is a bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swarovski-binoc...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efb01c1c8

Last edited:
On the Swaro, bargain, yes, pinky finger focus, no! I tried the Nikon 8x32 that Cesear recommends and thought it very nice in the well lit store.

Zak appears to be an actual ornithologist. What if he has to go count owls? He will wish he had that 8x42. Don't let em whittle down the objective lens for you.

Top brands are tough as nails. I have had great luck buying used, and you can save a bunch that way. Here, and Cloudy Nights, and Astromart, are good places to buy in a cozier atmosphere than Ebay, which feels vast and largely unknown, like the Solar System, to me.
Ron

On the Swaro, bargain, yes, pinky finger focus, no! I tried the Nikon 8x32 that Cesear recommends and thought it very nice in the well lit store.

Zak appears to be an actual ornithologist. What if he has to go count owls? He will wish he had that 8x42. Don't let em whittle down the objective lens for you.

Top brands are tough as nails. I have had great luck buying used, and you can save a bunch that way. Here, and Cloudy Nights, and Astromart, are good places to buy in a cozier atmosphere than Ebay, which feels vast and largely unknown, like the Solar System, to me.
Ron

The focus actually works quite well on the Swarovski 8x30 SLC because the binoculars balance so well with the focus there. Alot of the alphas 30mm and 32mm's are going to be almost as bright as a less expensive 42mm because of the better coatings. I agree with you in that I would look for a used alpha before I would buy a less expensive binocular new. For $800.00 you can find a Swarovski, Zeiss, or a Leica on E-bay or Astromart.

The SLC focus wheel is really misplaced. Feels very awkward. Also I prefer the view of the zen over the slc. Try to compare em side by side if you don´t belive me. Perhaps some bf:er live close to you?

I agree with Kristoffer. If you are a serious birdwatcher, you won't take a binocular with slow and awkward focus.

I bought my binoculars from a guy on ebay (he is a member of this forum, too, with same nickname). I can totally recommend him and some of the bins he has currently for sale.

Hi everyone,
I have thought about vortex new Razors, Bushnell Elite, or maybe Kowa BD.
I want something that is 8x40 or close to that.

My real problem is that I have not tried any of these. There isn't a store around that has any type of selection. So it's a blind buy.

Sorry long post. Any help and I would be thankful.

Here is a comparison review among Kowa XD, Meopta and Vortex Razor

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kowa85x44.html

Another bino to consider is ZEN ED 7x36
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/zen7x36.html

If it was me I would go with something with lifetime warranty, and there are quite a few binoculars that have that or at least the people that sell them say so. The original post he did say he was looking for 8x40 or some such. I have recommended the Swarovski 8x30 SLC and this doesn't fit the 8x40 range. IMO the full size Swaro and Meopta binoculars are too heavy and is why I said about the Swaro 8x30 SLC and I must say the focuser located at the front is no problem for me and I actually like it better and to all the naysayers I say 8-Po:D Some of the best bang for the buck out there right now are the EO Atlas Optics Intrepid ED 8x42 with ER of 17mm,close focus 6.5 ft. weight 26.6 oz. for 289.99 shipped, this has EO Platinum Protection unlimited, unconditional lifetime warranty. Another would be the Zen-Ray of similar specs. The Bushnell 8x42 Legend roof prism with 18ER and weight of 24.5 oz. is another one that even Frank D on here recommends cost $209 shipped but out of stock right now at EO.

If money no object the Zeiss 8x42 FL would be the way to go, not sure on long term build QC but they have lifetime warranty. Some have complained about diopter adj. and or where it is located, I found it no problem.

Regards, Steve

The SLC focus wheel is really misplaced. Feels very awkward. Also I prefer the view of the zen over the slc. Try to compare em side by side if you don´t belive me. Perhaps some bf:er live close to you?

Kristoffer: Have you owned the SLC 8x30 and become acquainted with it?

You seem to have an almost daily push for the ZenRay. You recently complained of the troubles with the diopter. :-C

The Swaro. is in a different league. I think it is a very nice choice. I too, would recommend the Swaro. 8x30 SLC Neu.

For the original poster, as a professional user, a quality Alpha like a Swaro. is a much better choice.

Last edited:
I must say I did recommend the Zen-Ray but the diopter control on the 7x36 I have use of is somewhat stiff to move up to adj. but has worked ok other then I had trouble setting for 0 while using my glasses. I don't wear glasses when I use binoculars most of the time. I think I am spoiled by my Nikon [SE & LX]and Swarovski 7x30 SLC. I agree with NDhunter that the little Swaro is in a different league. Swarovski had parts to fix my 20 yr. old 7x30 and to me that does mean a lot.
Regards,Steve

The focus may be a little awkward but at least it's not so hard like the Zen-Ray. I prefer 20 oz. or less nowdays but's that just my opinion. If I had $800.00 to spend I would buy German or Austrian. That's a pretty big chunk of change and you can get an alpha if you look around.

If this is ultimately going to be your profession borrow a few more bucks and get a Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss or top of the line Nikon. Use the best tools available! And you don't have to limit yourself to 8 x 42. Jerry Ligouri, who wrote the popular book HAWKS From Every Angle states in his book that he personally uses a 7x binocular while hawk watching because he prefers an extra wide field. See page 10 under the paragraph Optics for hawkwatching.
Cordially,
Bob

Everyone you are great! I like some of the more heated post. I hope no one gets upset, but it shows passion. That is something I want to see that you believe in your post and not just saying it because it is top seller. I am thinking about holding out and buying top of the line and even looking into ebay. I bought my scope there and could be happier. I was afraid that maybe some of the new one might outperform the older Lieca, or others. Old meaning not have HD or ED. But I really don't see that happening. Ceasar I feel you on the 7x but I like 8x. To me that is the middle and most usable. I want to clear something up. I have tried the SLC and they are nice but after using them all day I welcome my old Talon Vortex. My picky can’t take it. You must admit it is great having so many options.

Everyone you are great! I like some of the more heated post. I hope no one gets upset, but it shows passion. That is something I want to see that you believe in your post and not just saying it because it is top seller. I am thinking about holding out and buying top of the line and even looking into ebay. I bought my scope there and could be happier. I was afraid that maybe some of the new one might outperform the older Lieca, or others. Old meaning not have HD or ED. But I really don't see that happening. Ceasar I feel you on the 7x but I like 8x. To me that is the middle and most usable. I want to clear something up. I have tried the SLC and they are nice but after using them all day I welcome my old Talon Vortex. My picky can’t take it. You must admit it is great having so many options.

If you are getting top of the line. IMO try the Zeiss 8x32 FL or 8x42 FL.

Seems you were happy with Vortex so you should go with what you know in an ED version. As I have mentioned I would not pay more than $500 for any birding bin that did not have ED glass and you will be hard pressed find any 8x40mm-sized ED glass Euro bin under $1000 now. There are lots of 40mm-sized sub-$500 bins though without ED glass from optics manufacturers such as Nikon, Pentax, and Minox I would be happy to own.

happy holidays,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back