• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (3 Viewers)

like that bottom sketch very much, maybe cropped a bit so we have a bit more bird...
. . . just the one drawing here, I think. Very clever to 'see' this composition in the first place but the working out of the reflections is Pythagorian; at first glance it would appear the reflections are too 'flat' and shallow, but when we factor in the angle of the steep bank and the perspective issues in depth of field, then the calculations are spot-on.
However all this clever mathematics shouldn't overshadow what is a wonderfully naturalistic take on this scene; birds, mud and agriculture combine perfectly. CFT will be smiling down.

really? how silly of me, but this is what I saw and a scratched border at the slightly below mid mark

Attachments

• edUntitled-1.jpg
    edUntitled-1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 57
All very interesting! I too saw it as one piece and really loved much of it. But I found my eyes going back and forth like a highly energized ping-pong ball between the verticals at top and the ones at bottom and never having the time to slow down and see anything else.

And yet I didn't know what to say. How could I criticize a drawing that I like so much? I'm not sure if Tim sees it a bit the way I do since he also notes the reflections. But I do think it is a really strong drawing, and it reminds me how much I like Ed's sketches. Maybe just something to tone down the vertical reflections a bit? I'm really not sure. I do think a little time spent staring at this will end up with the basis for one of your best paintings

Very interesting piece, Ed. Another fine example, like Ken's recent postings, of something different.
I'm currently 'dabbling' with technical pen as the illustrative road is one I'd really like to take. I'll be posting some efforts in the New Year for your perusal!

Have a great festive time and all the best for the New Year.

Russ

Very interesting piece, Ed. Another fine example, like Ken's recent postings, of something different.
I'm currently 'dabbling' with technical pen as the illustrative road is one I'd really like to take. I'll be posting some efforts in the New Year for your perusal!

Have a great festive time and all the best for the New Year.

Russ

go for it- it would be nice to see another flurry of black n whites

I took the advantage of a Christmas visit to my parents to nick Keeble senior's copy of Ennion's The Lapwing which I am now lovingly skimming thru for learnings and inspirings

also briefly took a pot at the pic that was Teal, now SEO and hopefully did justice to some of the wise comments upthread:

now time get out and about for some new images

Attachments

• 550 q9 DSC_2049 copy.jpg
    550 q9 DSC_2049 copy.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 64
go for it- it would be nice to see another flurry of black n whites

I took the advantage of a Christmas visit to my parents to nick Keeble senior's copy of Ennion's The Lapwing which I am now lovingly skimming thru for learnings and inspirings

also briefly took a pot at the pic that was Teal, now SEO and hopefully did justice to some of the wise comments upthread:

now time get out and about for some new images

I think your thread must have gotten buried Ed. Otherwise there would be more comments about what a beautiful painting this is! Really strong I think. And now the owl seems perfectly placed. A real beauty!

much improved Ed, you did lift it up and show the beauty of that moment.

How do you feel about it? what pleases you or doesn't?

I like the result on the owl piece, Ed!

However, I must say that I found the fence-and-bird sketch wonderfully unique! At first I saw it as two pieces, but then the actual scene popped out and it was very impressive. That's a complicated image to sketch but the result was well worth it.

Have a very happy new year!

How do you feel about it? what pleases you or doesn't?

that's a good question Colleen - I got pleased with the owl, once with everyone's help it was safely resized and nudged up towards the top left

but colourwise, the pic as whole is still too far on the garish side of expressive: too much paint straight from the tube

moving along, I have some waxwings on the go- I heroically waited and left local-ish birds untwitched until there was a flock right on home territory, these feeding at eye level against a dark background

basic background is in place, with some green moss to go on the main branches and a curtain of brighter branches and berries to go in front of it all-oh and the birds to be done

very happy new year to all

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_2195.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2195.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 76
  • q9 550 DSC_2190.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2190.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 67
you have a very original vision of things Ed....I've found not every thing that catches my eye, or makes a good photo even will make a great painting...and I never know until I try....maybe after one has done realism for 20 years the eye would be developed and the skills to match, to know ahead of time...

Excellent stuff, Ed! What strong, eye-catching and vibrant work. If only I could be as adventrous as this! 2B now welded to my right hand.

Russ

these waxwings look very exciting indeed. The sketch is a finished piece in its own right.

I can only echo these comments...[and maybe add the word 'marvelous']....!

ps....we have a lot of Waxwings in Leicestershire at the moment but so nomadic are they that trying to catch up with them is like trying to catch the proverbial wind....:smoke:

I echo Nick's comment about the sketch being a finished piece - wonderful! You've captured the sense of a waxwing flock as its own bustling entity, more than just the sum of the individual birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back