• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Eastern Phoebe? (1 Viewer)

knnthdhrvy

Ken Harvey
My best guess on this bird is Eastern Phoebe, but it's not identical to one I posted earlier. Request confirmation or better ID than I can come up with. Thanks all. Outside shot--Western Kingbird? Photo taken deep south Texas two days ago, Estero Llano Grande State Park, Westlaco, TX

Attachments

• P1010708 (3).jpg
    P1010708 (3).jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 38
This is definitely not an Eastern Phoebe, and not a Western Kingbird as it does not have white edges on the tail and the yellow underside goes clear up the breast. It is either a Tropical or Couch's Kingbird, which are very similar species and I'll let somebody that has more experience with them try to make that separation.

It is a Western Kingbird, Phoebe would never be this yellow, also has a different bill shape and much smaller bill. Tropical Kingbird also has a much larger bill than Western Kingbird and if you look closely at the photo you can see the white outter tail feathers that are a definitive mark for Western Kingbird.

I was wrong, but I will leave it up there. Agree with RJP after another look 30 seconds after my original post

Last edited:
Large bill, notched tail, extensive yellow up to throat equals Tropical/Couch's. The bill does look on the smallish side for Tropical, possibly indicating Couch's, but you would need a good look at the outer wing or vocalizations to be sure. Backlit birds often show white edges to tail because of glare.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back