• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id (1 Viewer)

seb_seb

Hi there can anybody help me with the id of birds i saw today.

-Seen in flight :flyaway:
-overall white.grey appearance
-a bit smaller than a grey heron
-Rounded but not hunched wings
-No trailing legs, but tail that gets smaller as it gets further from birds body
-3 seen together, in a line quite spread out
-Made a "tweak" noise, quite highpitched and repeated 3 times in the space of about 7 seconds. Sounded a bit like the "pink" calls of a chaffinch

(p.s smart remarks not welcome:-C)

Last edited:
Little Egret's legs trail quite a way beyond the end of the tail, but it is interesting that you have used a grey Heron as a guide to size, seb_seb.

Did they have bent necks as herons do in flight, or outstretched, which would point, again, to something more goose-like?

I didnt really look at the neck, but it wasnt obviously long. Thank you for the suggestions. Ive had a look on www.birdguides.com and Pink-Footed Goose seems to fit quite well in shape. It says that they have a small neck and show a white and grey chest and underbelly in flight. It says nothing about its call though.

Wish I knew something about British birds.... problem was, I just scanned the first line of Mullarney: "breeds colonially... summer visitor..." before opening my big mouth.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back