• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with this call. What is it? (1 Viewer)

jakebrown5

Hello,

I have attached a clip of a bird call that I have heard on many things, like on Hansel and Gretel when they are in the forest, on a turkey hunting game, and in Gander Mountain.

All I want to know is is this a real bird? If so, what is it's name?

-Jake

Attachments

• birdiecall.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 218
Well how about this... I'm gonna perhaps throw a real spanner in the works and suggest it is a Grackle... maybe Common Grackle.

Now just be aware, I have NEVER been to the US, and so as far as I know I have never heard this call before in my life... BUT... when I posed a question on BF about a British "squeaky gate" type birdcall, dennis - who REALLY knows his American Birds suggested a vagrant Common Grackle.

OK, over now to someone who really knows....

Damn! I'm having audio troubles with this blasted computer. I hope someone else can weigh in. I'll try to solve my PC problems and give it a shot later.

dennis

Its certainly not a Common Grackle,Birdman!

They are far more raucous and different altogether.They vocalise every trip to the Shopping mall and I don't recognise this sound at all,so lets hope one of the American birders knows the answer.

Hi all,
I don't know much about the vocalisations of North American passerines:heard the Red-eyed Vireo at Ardmore in Oct.00 give a strange nasal call while hidden,and we all thought that there could have been a catbird present as well!;-)
It DOES sound like what I've been able to find for RW Blackbird on the net,except that that species should also have a slightly buzzing note as well that isn't apparent on this clip?
Harry H

No, I am positive it is not a Common Grackle nor a RW Blackbird.

The Grackle makes a sudden "Caw" and smaller "Cack, Cack" sounds.

The RW Blackbird makes a distinctive "Kon-Ka-Ree" and also makes little "Cacks".

I think it is a Wood Thrush. It has the general sound of a thrush and the begining of the clip has the same cadence as the example on enature.com.

I was thinking Thrush family. Not confident of Wood yet. Still meditating. I will try and shop the zipfile around to some birding buds with keen ears.

dennis

Well I'm back with the results of my search...........general feeling, as el supremo said, Wood Thrush. Probably slightly off due to the electronics used to replicate the call.

That's my guess and I'm sticking to it!

dennis

Yes guys, that's it!!

I went to Enature.com and found the Wood Thrush, listened to it, and now I'm convinced! Thanks for all your help!!

-Jake

This clip is recorded from my Turkey hunting game, Browning Turkey Hunter. It plays the bird all the time in the background while you're hunting. Though the clip in Gander Mountain and Hansel Gretel are both different to some extent, you can easily tell it's the same general call.

Jake

I thought so. I believe that was the programers version of a Wood Thrush, not an actual tape of a call. That would explain why it is a little funky.

dennis

Now that I'm thinking about it.... I probably don't know enough about how they program those sounds into games. They may have to use a tape. Oh well. Still think Wood Thrush is correct.

dennis

Makes sense, normally a turkey is not found in red-winged habitat, but in eastern woodlands where you would hear a wood thrush.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back