• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now I am not sure this is a Dunnock! (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
Hi

Took this at the weekend in poor light. I thought it was a Dunnock but looking at the earlier post on female Redpoll I am not so sure. Not saying it is a Redpoll but I am not convinced it is a Dunnock now. Also how many names have these guys got - I believe they are also known as Hedge Sparrows and Accentuators or something similar :h?:

Martin
-

Attachments

• bird-02-l.jpg
    bird-02-l.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 312
pduxon said:
Yep Female Spadger, incidentally does anyone call Dunnock Hedge Accentor??

I do! Probably only because I learned the latin name first and then the common name later from the SM list. I guess most in UK grew up calling it a Dunnock and seeing it all the time - foreign birders probably call it a Hedge Accentor.

o:)

mipettin said:
-
Hi

Took this at the weekend in poor light. I thought it was a Dunnock but looking at the earlier post on female Redpoll I am not so sure. Not saying it is a Redpoll but I am not convinced it is a Dunnock now. Also how many names have these guys got - I believe they are also known as Hedge Sparrows and Accentuators or something similar :h?:

Martin
-
I used to call dunnocks, "hedge sparrows" as a kid. During my youth the name "hedga accentor" became the acceptable name, but now dunnock reigns supreme, it seems. But dunnocks are grey birds, really and quite splendid close up.

I must say that your bird seem to have a fair amount more black in its wings than a female house sparrow typically has - but that's what it surely is.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back