• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Attached are a trio of photos of a duck I saw this April in northern Switzerland just west of the German city of Constance. I have some inkling of what it might be, but would be interested what others make of it. Apologies for the poor quality shots but it was rather distant & I hadn't got used to my new Panasonic FZ10 camera,

John

Attachments

• Duck 1.jpg
    Duck 1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Duck 2.jpg
    Duck 2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Duck 3.jpg
    Duck 3.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 287
I think we might be into the wonderful world of Aythya hybrids here. Maybe Ferruginous x Tufted Duck, but I can imagine a lot other possibilities too!

Fifebirder said:
I think we might be into the wonderful world of Aythya hybrids here. Maybe Ferruginous x Tufted Duck, but I can imagine a lot other possibilities too!

Have to agree on the hybrid theori... - And yes it is a wonderful world with those Aythya-hybrids ;)
The bird on the second photo almost seem to have the body of a male Rosy-billed Pochard! Of course, the head+bill is all wrong...

The reddish brown breast suggests that a Ferrugineous duck was involved...
though the bright yellow eye colour doesn´t fit with the most common ferrugineous duck hybrid (nyroca X ferina -that one has whitish or reddish eyes)

Fifebirder said:
Yup, my conclusion too. The Fruggy/Tuftie option sounds likely enough, but none of the illustrations I could find look quite right. The nearest plumage wise was a Pochard/R-C Pochard cross, but with a bright pink bill not a grey one. The bird was alone but not far away were a few Tufties, Pochard and R-C Pochard,
John

In Gilham, B. & E. , Hybrid ducks - 5th contribution to an inventory,
there is a picture of a drake Redcrested Pochard x Ferrugineous duck, which has the same coloration as this bird here; only thing that does not fit is eye color again, it is white in that other hybrid.
The only thing I am quite sure of is the re must have been a Ferrugineous duck as one parent...

John, the Pochard/R-C Pochard cross you mention, was that from a spanish website.? I have seen this pic and I am not sure if it is really what theythink-as all other hybrids of RC Pochard with Aythyas semes to have at greyish or dark bills, with only few pink tones at the base. I think that birsd might actually be a cross RC Pochard X Rosybill as they mention it was found in a park (in semicaptivity?).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back