• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhinelander in July (1 Viewer)

fugl

I’m going to be at a family gathering in the Rhinelander area later this month. We’re driving from Nevada & we’ll probably arrive on July 15th or 16th & start the return journey home towards the end of the month. I’m hoping to do some birding in the area, with American Woodcock, Three-toed Woodpecker & Boreal Chickadee as target species. Any chance of seeing any of these while we’re in the area? Forgetting about particular species, what are the best places for general birding in Oneida Co this time of the year?

TIA for any & all help.

2 days gone by & still no replies. For some reason the “state patch” forums don’t appear to have caught on. The one for my own state—Nevada—for example, hasn’t been posted to for over 30 days now. It's a shame, since the forums have the potential to be very useful resource for the out-of-state birder.

I viewed you, but I have not been to that area since long before I knew anything beyond crows, robins and wrens.

Not too many people on the forum from the darker corners of the US, and we're all so spread out...

My suggestion, if you haven't already, is to try to figure out what species are in that area at that time of year using the eBird data tools. Also search for local Wisconsin and Minnesota websites.

Last edited:
I viewed you, but I have not been to that area since long before I knew anything beyond crows, robins and wrens.

Not too many people on the forum from the darker corners of the US, and we're all so spread out...

My suggestion, if you haven't already, is to try to figure out what species are in that area at that time of year using the eBird data tools. Also search for local Wisconsin and Minnesota websites.

Many thanks for your response & suggestions. Ebird hadn’t occurred to me & I’ll check it out.

Once you get used to the eBird tools you can make maps showing where various things have been seen. By comparing the maps with pushpin locations of on the rare bird sightings and the distribution of pushpins for more common birds you can get an idea of how much data is available for various places, how accurately locations have been reported and where people prefer to go. (beware of the county-level pushpins that are just placed in the geographic center of the county, and locations that are reported in error) It requires the most recent version of Flash to work, annoyingly.

I know its a day late and a dollar short, considereing its August now, but I'm posting to let you know that in the future, now that I'm a member here, I'll be checking this out. I don't know what kind of success you had, my guess is not much. The only species of the 3 you named that you MIGHT see is the woodcock, which from my understanding isn't an easy one to find. The three toed woodpecker and the boreal chickadee are mostly in Canada and FAR nothern WI, and usually winter.

I know its a day late and a dollar short, considereing its August now, but I'm posting to let you know that in the future, now that I'm a member here, I'll be checking this out. I don't know what kind of success you had, my guess is not much. The only species of the 3 you named that you MIGHT see is the woodcock, which from my understanding isn't an easy one to find. The three toed woodpecker and the boreal chickadee are mostly in Canada and FAR nothern WI, and usually winter.

Thanks for your reply. As it turned out, for one reason or another, I got very little birding in at Rhinelander (or in Wisconsin in general for that matter) & didn't see any of my target species. Something for another time, I guess. I did have some luck on the drive out, however--Grasshopper Sparrow (a lifer) at Fort Niobrara, Nebraska--so the trip wasn't a complete washout birdwise.

Thanks again & all the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back