• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Theron Wapiti (1 Viewer)

Gary R

Is it really worth the extra hundred bucks to get the ED glass on these binos? I am not adverse to paying the extra money if the difference is really noticable. I am also leaning to the 10X over the 8X, any argument for the reverse? Many thanx for taking the time to help a nimrod.

Gary,

You might have more luck with this over on the bin forums. ;)

Having said that I can say that the Wapiti APO certainly delivers in terms of CA control because of the use of ED glass in the objective design. It has better edge performance than its direct competitors but at a loss to the width of the field of view. For the $350 they sell for I don't think you will find a better binocular. The only two models in this price range that compare directly to it are the Zen Ray ED2 and ED3 and the Kruger Caldera. All of these models have their series of compromises though.

Frank......... is the ED glass worth the extra? Also I see the 8X are sold out while 18 of the 10X remain. Should this tell me anything?

most prefer 8x for general use as they are easier to hold still. 10x if you tend to use your binoculars by the sea or places with a greater distance to your subjects. Cannot help on the ED glass question.

I think that the ED glass definitely contributes to the overall performance of the binocular. Having said that, I did have the non-ED Wapiti in hand at the same time as the APO model. The non-ED Wapiti was also extremely impressive overall especially because of the flat field of view that it provides.

As for why the 8x's are all out of stock...kurakura's explanation is as good as any. The 8x version was the one most often reviewed so it may be that more folks ordered them as a result of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back