• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experience new birding (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birders don't want IS, or else we would be seeing far more of the Canon's in the field. They have a good rep. and good optics but I have only ever run across 2 in the field in all my years.

With low mag. bins I almost never feel the need for any sort of IS, and would feel the extra weight / bulk / complexity / cost / fragility / battery life worries - issues an unnecessary burden. Give me a balanced package and outstanding optics and I'm good to go, although I realize the older set may see benefits in the IS, although likely not in the packages offered currently.

I'd be happy with getting a steadier view and more magnification in the same unit... just not interested in holding a shoe box size instrument to my head to get it.

They'll get it figured out soon enough though and then we will all have one.

As of now... it appears there will be a new product line called Fascination and it will be made by Zeiss.... pretty simple. I don't see cutting edge or industry changing anything being mentioned. |:S|

CG

Last edited:
I wonder ; are the Ht's not good for birding ??? and they are not so long new from zeiss so i have no idea what will come ??

I'd be happy with getting a steadier view and more magnification in the same unit... just not interested in holding a shoe box size instrument to my head to get it.

They'll get it figured out soon enough though and then we will all have one.

As of now... it appears there will be a new product line called Fascination and it will be made by Zeiss.... pretty simple. I don't see cutting edge or industry changing anything being mentioned. |:S|

CG

Hi CG

"Fascination" is one of those tag-line marketing words that Zeiss uses in a variety of contexts and in connection with a variety of products. One tag-line is "When innovation becomes fascination".

I strongly doubt whether the new bins are to be called Fascination.

Lee

If it is anything other/less than a binocular with HT-quality optics, available in 8x42 (and ideally also 8x32 FL size), with sharp to edge performance, enough pincushion to counteract rolling ball, close focus to 4 feet, and variable-ratio focus, I will be disappointed and I probably won't be interested. Binoculars have been quite capable for a while now, so I haven't been tempted by the very latest products, but I might be interested in something that combines all my favorite features. The 8.5x42 SV comes close, but not close enough.

--AP

I think what is needed to stand out is an ultra-wide field - none of the alpha's really has one now that the 7x42 FL is gone.

I think what is needed to stand out is an ultra-wide field - none of the alpha's really has one now that the 7x42 FL is gone.

Dead right James, and as good as it was, the FL 7x42 had no wider FOV than the Night Owl before it or the Dialyt before that.

Its time somebody did a superwide 7x to capitalise on the superdeep FOV and give a huge view side to side and front to back. Sell it, not just as part of the range with a bit less magnification than the others, but give it a separate identity and a separate purpose in life. 7x magnification doesn't have to be apologetic: it could strut its own stuff if done correctly.

Thank you, and good night.

Lee

But the Duovid doesn't zoom in the usually accepted sense, it simply switches from one magnification to another, with no opportunity to set the bins at an intermediate magnification.

Lee

... see birds like never before ...

Kimmo

I may guess what this teaser means: Perhaps the new binoculars come entirely without prisms, and for the first time we see all the birds hanging upside down ;-)

Additional benefits: Transmission gain (another 2% over the HT), and 150g lower weight!

OK, let's wait and see!
Holger

I may guess what this teaser means: Perhaps the new binoculars come entirely without prisms, and for the first time we see all the birds hanging upside down ;-)

Additional benefits: Transmission gain (another 2% over the HT), and 150g lower weight!

OK, let's wait and see!
Holger

LOL :-O

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back