• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bird in garden (1 Viewer)

Hi Redeyedvideo,

How big is this bird, this has certainly put the catbird amongst the pigeons as they say.

At first thought the tail was too wide but looking my pictures are mostly sideways on but one on the bird bath otherwise not very good shows atleast six tail feathers, quite broad.

I this bird more like to be in UK?
It would be good if I could find a recording of its call.

Post the pics and they'll be no more guessing!

Is this another wind-up? If you have photos post them .................please.

Seconded. Perhaps this is the origin of that screen name (thanks Wikipedia):

"The John B. Sails" is a Bahamian folk song from Nassau. A transcription by Richard Le Gallienne was published in 1916, and a version was included in Carl Sandburg's The American Songbag in 1927. Since the early 1950s there have been many recordings; variant titles include "I Want To Go Home, "Wreck of the John B", and "Sloop John B".

The Beach Boys had a huge hit with 'The Sloop John B'.
MJB

It seems like a grey catbird, but my bird had black over head and arround eye and down below beak rather than just a black strip on top of head.

So, clearly not a Grey Catbird then. Move along...

I Think the normal grey catbirds are fairly common.
In my neighbourhood, in Spring and Summer, yes. Walk into any thicket of osier dogwood, and you'll trip over one. In yours ... no.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back