• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 contemporary (1 Viewer)

Not been using the long lens a lot recently but here are a few taken a couple of days ago for all the haters to gloat over 3:) All fairly soft and too big in the frame but about the best I can do given the limitations of this lens. I will decide soon if I am going to get rid of it.

I seem to remember reading this somewhere...

"I think it is all a question of taste - all these over sharpened, close-up, and badly composed pics that one sees may appeal to a lot of folk but I prefer a more aesthetically pleasing image.
To be honest I have not seen a single pic from you that I would call a nice image, sharp maybe but mostly very badly composed and the bird is more often than not way too big in the frame to make a decent image. I think you are at the stage where you would not recognize a good 'image' if it was staring you in the face so I take anything youw say with a pinch of salt I am afraid"

Funny the lens seems to have very few limitations when I use it 3:). Sharp every time. Even in low light like here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/18242718098/in/dateposted-public/

Maybe you should sell it Roy. If you can't get sharp shots with this lens than I am not sure what options you have.3:)

Hi,
such is wildlife photography... Now you have a reason to go back and wait some more.
Yes, you're right...
I want to make pics with the Storks coming flying towards its nest, the "greeting" scene (if they do that after spring time...) and the way they are together.
Does that fit in one nest?

Ad B

Hi! My first post in this forum. Does anyone use a filter on this lens? I am wondering if the B+W filter that I just bought is justified to be put on all the time.

I seem to remember reading this somewhere...

"I think it is all a question of taste - all these over sharpened, close-up, and badly composed pics that one sees may appeal to a lot of folk but I prefer a more aesthetically pleasing image.
To be honest I have not seen a single pic from you that I would call a nice image, sharp maybe but mostly very badly composed and the bird is more often than not way too big in the frame to make a decent image. I think you are at the stage where you would not recognize a good 'image' if it was staring you in the face so I take anything youw say with a pinch of salt I am afraid"

Funny the lens seems to have very few limitations when I use it 3:). Sharp every time. Even in low light like here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/18242718098/in/dateposted-public/

Maybe you should sell it Roy. If you can't get sharp shots with this lens than I am not sure what options you have.3:)

I guess RoyC set himself up for your comments but I think your vitriol is totally unwarranted.

Who am I? Just a novice photographer who regularly follows various threads on the forum to learn and pick up tips where I can. I have no allegiance to any posters. I don't have the Sigma lens so I don't post on this thread.

I also follow the Tamron thread - I seem to recall someone on that thread inferring that lens had few limitations when he used it!

I guess RoyC set himself up for your comments but I think your vitriol is totally unwarranted.

Who am I? Just a novice photographer who regularly follows various threads on the forum to learn and pick up tips where I can. I have no allegiance to any posters. I don't have the Sigma lens so I don't post on this thread.

I also follow the Tamron thread - I seem to recall someone on that thread inferring that lens had few limitations when he used it!

I think if you have the time you may want to go back and read this thread, the Sigma S thread and the Tamron thread. You would see how many times I've been attacked by Roy and other forum warriors. People that talk a big game and post soft shot after soft shot.

And yes the Tamron was great. Sharp and fast. That's why I had no idea excuses with it and never complained I had a soft copy. The Sigma C is just a bit sharper and has better OS. No limitations except the photographer.

Isaac All those shots are extremely soft and over enhanced ,yet you have the cheek to rip into other people's shots ,.i also think that you link to Flickr just to get your viewing numbers up on there . About time the mods did something about your vitriol it's getting boring now

Another lens comparison thread turns into a p*ssing contest! I have said this before but I think it's worth repeating.

These threads have the potential to be an incredibly useful resource for someone looking for real life lens examples. They fail to deliver because there is no standardisation of the images posted, making comparison impossible. If everybody posted the same sized image and a standard 100% crop or better still made the image available in its straight out of camera format on Dropbox etc., we would have an unrivalled resource.

Instead we get many different processed images, some hosted off site and totally spurious criticism of composition and artistic merit on what is after all a technical thread.

Please can we have a sensible approach in future.

Steve

Hi Paul, I'm using a D800. I am generally satisfied with the result with the filter on. I am just curious if the regular poster here like Micloi and Isaac are using any filter with their copy. I don't seem to come across reading anywhere in this thread that someone is using a filter. This thread forum was also the reason I purchased this lens.

Here is another one from the bird park:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/500/19084841685_0278a2714d_k.jpg

Another lens comparison thread turns into a p*ssing contest! I have said this before but I think it's worth repeating.

These threads have the potential to be an incredibly useful resource for someone looking for real life lens examples. They fail to deliver because there is no standardisation of the images posted, making comparison impossible. If everybody posted the same sized image and a standard 100% crop or better still made the image available in its straight out of camera format on Dropbox etc., we would have an unrivalled resource.

Instead we get many different processed images, some hosted off site and totally spurious criticism of composition and artistic merit on what is after all a technical thread.

Please can we have a sensible approach in future.

Steve

The Dropbox idea would be great in a ideal world steve ,but not everyone would comply so that's out of the window ,I have always tried to be truthfull in my views on my lens ,it's not been a simple bolt on and shoot and go with the sport it has taken time to learn it , along the way I have published in plain view all my findings both good and bad and how I have overcome them ,some I notice have been taken up by C users ,whichever way you look at it a super zoom is always going to be a compromise over a prime but whichever version you go for it gives reach at a moderate price .

Unfortunately on this forum there seems to be a negative few posters that would rather run down the efforts of those trying to be helpfull just to advance there own egos ,it's getting to the point where people who could contribute are being driven away by the my photos are better than yours rhetoric . This doesn't happen elsewhere so why here I wonder

Apologies to the 'mods' but I just feel so frustrated that the true intentions of this thread are being spoiled by a few so here goes with my ten penny worth - I believe that the best approach would be to ignore the clearly negative & derisory comments regarding 'mine is better than yours' type dialogue, and just concentrate on what has been a very useful and informative thread on the whole for many people. It's a bit like the school bully syndrome where if you ignore them, eventually the fun goes away for them and maybe we can get back to what this forum is for - helpful advice and 'fair' objective opinions but not egotistic & provocative arrogance.
As I believe has been said many times before, we are all entitled to form our own opinions of what is acceptable and not be crticised for having that opinion.
I sincerely hope that regular helpful people are not driven away and we can ALL benefit from the experiences of others to help improve our own needs.
Jeff, you have contributed so much to this and the other Sigma thread and I for one have appreciated the learning curve that you have provided.
There's always someone to shoot you down in this world but I genuinely hope that the bullets stop and a return to sanity can prevail.

Last edited:
Hi,
Apologies to the 'mods' but I just feel so frustrated that the true intentions of this thread are being spoiled by a few so here goes with my ten penny worth - I believe that the best approach would be to ignore the clearly negative & derisory comments regarding 'mine is better than yours' type dialogue, and just concentrate on what has been a very useful and informative thread on the whole for many people. It's a bit like the school bully syndrome where if you ignore them, eventually the fun goes away for them and maybe we can get back to what this forum is for - helpful advice and 'fair' objective opinions but not egotistic & provocative arrogance.
As I believe has been said many times before, we are all entitled to form our own opinions of what is acceptable and not be crticised for having that opinion.
I sincerely hope that regular helpful people are not driven away and we can ALL benefit from the experiences of others to help improve our own needs.
Jeff, you have contributed so much to this and the other Sigma thread and I for one have appreciated the learning curve that you have provided.
There's always someone to shoot you down in this world but I genuinely hope that the bullets stop and a return to sanity can prevail.
+1.
Why do others shoot these people, if they can't get the same results...?
If this is the way Isaac want great numbers on Flickr... So what. I don't mind, I don't care.
Others can do that also.
Learn from each other and enjoy the pictures.

Ad B

Isaac All those shots are extremely soft and over enhanced ,yet you have the cheek to rip into other people's shots ,.i also think that you link to Flickr just to get your viewing numbers up on there . About time the mods did something about your vitriol it's getting boring now

Don't you wish Jeff. Soft 3:) Over enhanced 3:)

As has been stated before, I post the flickr links so people can see a higher res version of the shot than what can be posted here. You can also view in full screen and zoom into any part of the pic tht you want. This way you can better judge performance or the lens. Also has all of the stats of the shot and also the exif. Seems helpful to me.

And please refrain from your silly comments Mr. just about every pic posted to somewhere between 24 and 72 groups on flickr3:)

If you have something valuable to add to the performance of the Sigma C I would love to hear it.

Until then here are a few more Sigma C shots

Common Terns at sunrise

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/18534416363/in/dateposted-public/

Piping Plover

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/19152318715/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

Perhaps you need a pair of glasses or a new pair of glasses as I would be quite happy with images such as these.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back