• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

favorite strap for a heavy setup (1 Viewer)

crumbucket

I hope this is the right place to post this...

I have a heavy setup and need a good strap. Setup is 5lb(2.3kg) tripod + 3.5lb(1.6kg) head + 4lb(1.8kg) scope = 12.5lb(5.7kg) total. I would rather leave the scope on but can throw that in my wife's pack if I need to. :) I will occasionally walk several miles with it, but not often.

My shoulders are rather bony. I'm *thinking*, but not sure, that I would like the padded area to be about 3 inches thick. Or maybe just a Manfrotto 102 plus a folded towel under it? Was wondering what opinions anyone may have, especially any particular model strap you like for this situation. Any thoughts?

Thank you

I'm assuming, from that comment, that you didn't yet buy one yourself, after your April 19th inquiry. |:D|

Yikes! Tthat was a comment on the wrong thread -- too many tabs open. And worse still it sounded snotty too. Totally unintentional. Apologies.

I did buy one. I have used it. And I was writing up some comments in yet another tab.

I think it's OK. Faint praise, eh?

In someways it works rather well but it has it's limitations. You can carry the tripod on ones back pretty easily. But "ready to go" with legs extended can be a bit of a pain as they will catch on things or people. At least with a should carry you can see who you are going to hit. And that's half the reason to have it so you can easily move it and set it down.

I'm still not convinced if a shoulder strap is better or not. Or if just carrying it internally in or externally on a pack and then carrying it around on my shoulder. I find even with the backpack carrying it on the top of my shoulder (or slung under my shoulder by one strap ... just like a shoulder strap) is the best solution.

That said it does make carrying the "folded" tripod into a location on a walk much easier. It saves your single shoulder for moving it shorter distances in "extended" form rather than putting a big dent in it early on. Perhaps thats the best usage style.

Carrying it on the back does work quite well. But it precludes one from taking a day pack too. I think ones style of outings also has an effect. For my sort of outings: walking, public transport ore bike rather than car I need to get out and stay out the whole day so I need some food and water too. And a field guide. And a ... you know how it builds up. These are not so easy to add to the carrier: the bag seems rather flimsy. It doesn't quite work with a waistbag either though one can wear a Pajaro bag "gunslinger style" on the side for a field guide and notebook holder.

The other problem when you don't have a day pack is where do you put the scope when you are not using it. If you have a car its easy but you can look a bit of a geek on the bus with a tripod backpack, a scope slung across the shoulder (it does work) and a set of bins.

To fix that one would take some of the other advice here and modify a current back pack. Or strap it on the outside of a regular day pack (a bit slower to deploy) expedition style.

The shoulder sling is cheaper but you would want to carry it across your body (and how would you do that with a back pack ... perhaps small one).

It all seems to be swings and roundabouts. Perhaps I'm trying to optimize too much ;)

Ultimately I still have it and intend to keep it and use it.

I think the frequency of usage is another thing to keep in mind.

1. A long hike to a single location -- strapped to the outside of a daypack or carried internal in pack. Only one deployment so time is not an issue.

2. Short walk from the car and frequent stops. The shoulder strap might be simplest though the backpack carrier will work well.

3. Middle walk from the car and frequent stops. The backpack carrier will work well for this (saving a single shoulder from talking all the load).

4. A long hike and frequent stops. Either the backpack carrier or a similar design retrofitted to a daypack but I think I'd prefer the latter (or don't go solo).

I think it also depends a bit on if you are solo of if there is more than one person in the group. Then one can use the backpack carrier and the other can carry the day pack.

And for the original post for shoulder carrying polyurethane split water pip insulation (the grey kind) and duct tape on two legs makes for a much more comfortable should carry over any distance.

The other trick for longer distance is to go to a lighter tripod. I do like the cheap Manfrotto 728B (now a YB7301 or something). It's good enough for lower magnification. And even lighter though more tricky to use is a monopod.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back