• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fixed power eyepieces? (1 Viewer)

Bill A

Hi,

I have a 65mm Diascope with the 15x45 (20x60 on the 85mm) zoom eyepiece. Always looking for ways to blow money on optical equipment, I've been wondering about the 23x (=30x on the 85mm) WA eyepiece. Anyone have any experience with it or with any other fixed eyepiece on the 65mm Zeiss? Would I be gaining anything by adding it to my gear, or kit, as the UK types among us might say?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill A said:
Always looking for ways to blow money on optical equipment...
LOL
Nah - don't buy a new ocular, buy a new 85FL objective ;) - then you get more ways to blow even more money.
But seriously, I think the Zeiss zoom is really so good (and wide-angled) that a 23/30x is IMHO unnecessary. For Swaro, Leica and Nikon owners I could recommend a fixed eyepiece to complement the zoom, but for those who own the Zeiss zoom I can't figure out any advantage of a fixed WA.

Ilkka

Thanks for the info, guys. Don't need that fixed power eyepiece, I guess. But that 85mm now comes in green, my favorite color. . .

Bill

Hi Bill

I realize that this wasn't the reason you were asking about the advantage of getting an extra eyepiece but I was wondering whether you ever feel limited by the fact your zoom "only" goes up to 45X as opposed to 60X. I'm strongly thinking of getting the Zeiss 65 with 15-45X zoom but worry slightly that it's "underpowered". Thanks for any info.

Paul

The 60x can get that critical ID that can make or break a lifer but keep in mind the image isn't razor sharp. I don't think there would be many instances that you wish you had that extra 15X, but having said that, I bought my 60x just for that "chance" encounter.

Well, the more optical equipment, the better. Having said that, I can't imagine having much use for 60x with a 65mm objective: The image is just too dark even at 45x for me to use it often at that power. Up to 30x or so, it's great; beyond that, it really has to be a brilliant day to get much out of it.

Best,
Bill

Thanks for your input, Kevin and Bill. In another thread (fixed vs zoom eyepieces) some others also weighed in on this question. I feel pretty reassured that for my type of birding the 45X will almost always be sufficient. I suppose I may continue my tradition of occasionally asking people with more powerful scopes whether I may take a peek!

Bill A said:
Well, the more optical equipment, the better. Having said that, I can't imagine having much use for 60x with a 65mm objective: The image is just too dark even at 45x for me to use it often at that power. Up to 30x or so, it's great; beyond that, it really has to be a brilliant day to get much out of it.

Well, I find the 60x on my Nikon EDIII pretty useful. Alright, the image doesn't really look that nice, but even on murky days there is a difference in the amount of detail it delivery compared to 40~45x. There are occasions when having 60x on a zoom can make all the difference, and on these occasions I'm not worried about how pretty the image is.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back