• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is £150 enough ? (1 Viewer)

deansmith

i just found out my xmas bonus and intend to get a scope with it i have £150 for scope and eyepiece already have a usable tripod would prefer a zoom eyepiece that works well upto 30x ( ive seen alot of cheaper tripods come with 15-45x but are useless at the top end)

dont want anything massive or heavy really what would be your suggestion.

i just found out my xmas bonus and intend to get a scope with it i have £150 for scope and eyepiece already have a usable tripod would prefer a zoom eyepiece that works well upto 30x ( ive seen alot of cheaper tripods come with 15-45x but are useless at the top end)

dont want anything massive or heavy really what would be your suggestion.
Its not really enough, but looking on Ebay, this looks decent!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELTA-70MM-SP...iewItemQQptZUK_Telescopes?hash=item3a5546ef85

The second hand route is the way to go mate!

I did and never looked back, Spent 150 got cracking opticron and never looked back!

karpman

if you want someting for digiscoping, then you're out of luck.

but i have a visionary 80 that cost me that much.

no one is ever going to rave about it but you can see birds through it.
and you can identify them at much greater range than with a pair of binos.

it has a 20-60x zoom
it's still usable at full manification in good light, but not worth going over 40x in low light.
focusing is usable but needs a little practice at high mag as it can be a little tricky to get it spot on.
i can hapily carry it round for a day on an RSPB reserve without my arms falling off.

all in all it's usable and most importantly it fit in my budget at the time.

and there's some bloke here doing em for 100 notes too

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/visionary_scope_sale/visionary_scope_fs.htm

Last edited:
The second hand route is the way to go mate!

I did and never looked back, Spent 150 got cracking opticron and never looked back!

karpman

what model did you go for i been looking at opticron scopes today there seems to be more of them that any other on the 2nd hand market.

DS

the small ones on the sherwoods website look like the ones aldi were selling for 26 quid a while ago they might still have some left if you have a store near you could check if not no harm done :smoke:

I think that you need to be careful. As others have said, the second hand route is probably your best bet. My scope was bought second hand and was a bargain. It was an almost new Swarovski, bought for £750 instead of the usual £1500 or whatever it is.

The trouble is, when it comes to bins and scopes, I think that although there is only a small difference in quality between medium priced and high priced, there is a huge difference in quality between low priced and medium if you see what I mean.

Put it another way, if you buy a scope for £700, the difference in quality between it and a £1500 scope is so minimal as to make the extra cost difficult to justify. However, the difference in quality between a £150 scope and a £700 scope is likely to be much greater.

Your best bet is probably to try to pick up a decent mid range second hand scope. It would seem a shame to spend all of your hard earned bonus on something which is bottom of the range.

I think that you need to be careful. As others have said, the second hand route is probably your best bet. My scope was bought second hand and was a bargain. It was an almost new Swarovski, bought for £750 instead of the usual £1500 or whatever it is.

The trouble is, when it comes to bins and scopes, I think that although there is only a small difference in quality between medium priced and high priced, there is a huge difference in quality between low priced and medium if you see what I mean.

Put it another way, if you buy a scope for £700, the difference in quality between it and a £1500 scope is so minimal as to make the extra cost difficult to justify. However, the difference in quality between a £150 scope and a £700 scope is likely to be much greater.

Your best bet is probably to try to pick up a decent mid range second hand scope. It would seem a shame to spend all of your hard earned bonus on something which is bottom of the range.

probably sound advice i havent really looked at new scopes as most of the makes are names ive never heard of but i cant justify spending anymore on something like a scope, i think i might just go on holiday !

probably sound advice i havent really looked at new scopes as most of the makes are names ive never heard of but i cant justify spending anymore on something like a scope, i think i might just go on holiday !

The opticron linked to by postcardcv would be worth thinking about. A nice scope and a good price. They eye piece with it is from Opticrons top range as well.

Perry

what model did you go for i been looking at opticron scopes today there seems to be more of them that any other on the 2nd hand market.

DS

Hi mate

I ended up with a opticron imagic, Great little scope for my devices.
I have since made 3 purchases through the forum and all have been great.

If that opticron posted is great value with that eyepiece:t:

karpman

thanks for everyones advice i know i was never gonna get anything super for my budget but ive bought a kenko model i found in the sale which should be enough for me to play around with

thanks again

DS

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back