• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image stabiliser - tripod ? (1 Viewer)

Chas,

I have taken many shots from my tripod having left the IS switched on on my 100-400mm lens. If the shutter speed is fast enough then fine but if not (and probably why you would be using a tripod anyway) the image moves slowly and vertically in the viewfinder and in my case, has blurred the result. I try to remember to turn IS to Off when using my tripod but I'd be interested in hearing what others say.

Robin

Would a bean bag constitute a firm enough support to eliminate movement and cause these sorts of feedback loops or would the fact that the camera is still hand held to some extent mean that IS should be left on?

I left the IS on when I took photos of a Nuthatch and Heron at the weekend. The camera/lens were rock solid steady, resting on a hide window corner and the clarity of the images were as good as I could hope for.

Would a bean bag constitute a firm enough support to eliminate movement and cause these sorts of feedback loops or would the fact that the camera is still hand held to some extent mean that IS should be left on?

I would always leave the IS on when using a beanbag. Indeed, I would leave it on anytime I'm using my hands to take the shot - even on the steadiest tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back