• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some of my artwork, take a peek. (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
Here are a few of my more recent sketches aswell as a bit of bird origami. It's my first time bringing artwork here so I hope you enjoy them!

Attachments

• my harpy2.jpg
    my harpy2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 271
  • my warblers.jpg
    my warblers.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 331
  • my owls.jpg
    my owls.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 255
  • my macaw.jpg
    my macaw.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 281
  • my metal eagle.jpg
    my metal eagle.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 290
Very nice indeed, but the heron is the piece de resistance for me, although the woodwarblers come a good second. How you've got the stance and the wings and the look in his eye with the heron is super. Keep drawing and posting, it's great to see.
Bluetit
P.S:Forgot about the silverbird - I like that a lot, just like it would alight on your hand - 'speaking'. Is that ordinary tinfoil you used or something thicker and more durable? B.

Thank you very much for the encouragement Bluetit! Glad you like my samples. To answer your question, yes, the origami eagle is made of good old aluminum foil, its my new favorite folding medium!

I'm looking forward to more of your comments folks!

Don't be dicouraged, put something else out and if you haven't got anything arty you want to post go out and do a bit of birdwatching, that will get the creative juices flowing, I promise!
Happy sketching. Bluetit

Very nice! I really like the heron and the origami! Did you make up the pattern for the origami or did you find it in a book? I'm very interested in origami, so I was just curious. |=)|

Howdy Mandy,

Happy to see you like my origami. Actually, I found the diagram for this eagle modle on the internet, it's by Joseph Wu. There are TONS of great origami sights all over the internet, all you have to do is type "origami" into a search engine and I guarantee you'll find some great diagrams to fold! I've had lots of experience with origami, so if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Oh, and thanks for the advice Bluetit!

Last edited:
Hi Tayler. As someone who has trouble drawing even stick men, I am full of admiration for your young talent. As Mandy said, your heron is particularly good. I love your Blackburnian and Cerulean Warblers too!

Purely as a birder I guess the way forward is to look, look, look. Can't do too much of it. Aim at getting as close as you possibly can to their essential jizz - the subtleties of shape and size that gives each one its character (e.g. what exactly is it that makes a dendroica warbler look different from an oporornis?) - and the ways that colours strengthen of fade (e.g. whether and where on the bird reds pale into orange, or browns into fawn, and so on). You're well on the way!

Progne Subis said:
Here are a few of my more recent sketches aswell as a bit of bird origami. It's my first time bringing artwork here so I hope you enjoy them!
I wish I had just a little of your skill. The heron is especially well captured.

Progne Subis said:
Hi Tayler, thanks for sharing. Only yesterday I treat myself to a collection of pencils,pastels and pads.A keen sketcher as a child I let all such pursuits fall by the wayside. Now convalescent I find I have the time and the inclination to follow the muse once more so thanks again for the timely inspiration.
Cheers Chris​

Wow, to EVERYONE who has posted here, I sincerely say thankyou. Your encouragement is absolutely appreciated! Of course I will continue to hone my artistic skill.

Also, good luck with getting back into art, Chris. I hope I can see your artwork on the BF some time!

Hi Progne Subis, just occurred to me, may be a silly question, but did you design and execute your own avatar?!?
Bluetit

Hi Tayler,

Would be rude of me not to comment on your work after the praise you heaped on mine.

You certainly have the eye for structure, and capturing the character of the birds, also your birds actually look as if they are taking their weight on their perches which is good.
You're lucky you've taken an interest at an early age, I graduated from University last year with a degree in Illustration at the ripe old age of 44 and am just starting a career in art now, all I advise to you is stick with it and develop your work through your own observations. Keep your drawings and look at them in a couple of years time. You can mark your own progress then.

Good luck :flyaway:

Yes, thankyou Mouldy, I'll remember that. Good advise. Since new ideas for artwork come to my mind often, I highly doubt I'll ever wander away from art for good. So I'll just keep practicing... and eventually improving.

Howdy again Bluetit, to answer your question, no, didn't design my own avatar. I certainly could if I wanted to though! Actually, the one I have now I just found using a random image search on Google.

Good work and it looks like something you enjoy which is what matters.

Now it's time for your own analysis, pick out ther flaws in your pictures.

Are they physically as accurate as they could be? Have you studied the subject close enough to make an accurate drawing.

I find that observation is the key. Try some detailed studies of aspects of the birds. Perhaps focus on the eyes, or a beak, or talons.

Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back