• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in gardens (1 Viewer)

robbsy

Hi Everyone
This may have been discussed before but i see so many reports that birds aren,t visiting gardens so i have had to report on my own back garden in south lincs. This morning at 9.00 i watched the garden for 10 mins and witnessed the following.
Blackbirds
Starlings
Wood Pigeon
Crows
Robin
Green Finch
Wren
Sparrow
This was after the feeders had been filled!!!!!!

Had Blue / Great Tits. Pair Greenfinches, Robin, Blackbird, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Heron (Very rare in my garden - looking at neighbours pond no doubt!), Wren, Starling.

Right now at our feeders in Tennessee we have:

Mourning doves......oh how do I get rid of these pesky things ? haha

Goldfinches
Carolina Wrens
Cardinals
Common Grackles
Red-Winged Blackbirds
Titmice
Chickadees
White-Throated Sparrows
Downy Woodpeckers
Red-Bellied Woodpeckers

Steve

I get Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Great, Blue and Long Tailed Tits, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Magpie, House Sparrow, Starling (they nest above my bed the noisy blighters - but not yet this year) every day with the finches (Green, Gold and Bull) also visiting regularly. The most frequent visitors however are none of the above but a family of pheasants (7 female, 1 male - I bet he's really hen-pecked!). The male has been coming every day from November to May for the last three years and the females appeared about a month ago. They are costing me a fortune in bread as I put a whole sliced loaf out for them each day - they eat the middle and leave the crusts for the smaller birds. They come out five minutes after I've put the bread out, eat, go away for an hour before returning to eat some more - they do this throughout the day. I'm not sure if bread is or should be part of their diet but they keep coming back for it. (The local cat is a bit puzzled by it all, if he walks down the garden whilst they are there he gives them a wide birth whilst they keep a wary eye on him but don't move.) My garden is on the small side (20 yards by 6 yards) in a suburb of Chesterfield - hardly prime pheasant country - although I do back onto allotments and there are open fields beyond that (reclaimed open casting) down to the Chesterfield canal a quarter of a mile away.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back