• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (1 Viewer)

The only difference for you are the two main differences that interest most all folk and that is better AF performance (even if you only use the center point) and better high ISO noise performance. Whether these are enough for you to upgrade only you can decide.

Thanks - how will the better AF performace help me if I only use the centre point? - I assume there is more to it than the number of possible focal points!

cheers, alan

I've got a 7D and am thinking of getting the Mk II. However I am a low tech user and a birder first. I almost always use Av mode (to max the shutter speeed) and use ISO 400. I never use anything except the central focal point - in fact I dodn't know how to change it. I've got no real interest in all the techy stuff most photographers get off on. ;) So whether its 32, 64 or 1000 focal points is of no interest to me.

So in summary, is there any reason for me to upgrade or is it just more stuff that I won't use or understand?

cheers, alan.

Should be a little better IQ ,larger buffer is always nice, AF should be quicker and more on target , 4 fps quiet mode could be very good if it is indeed quiet ,

The case settings will drive many people nuts case 2 will work great one day but another day case 4 will or will it be case 3 or 1 or 5 Or is it that 2 was set slowed down on the tracking speed that day as was 5 but 5 had accelerate decelerate set to fast as did 3 but on 3 auto point switching was set to slow ETC ETC :)
Rob.

Should be a little better IQ ,larger buffer is always nice, AF should be quicker and more on target , 4 fps quiet mode could be very good if it is indeed quiet ,

The case settings will drive many people nuts case 2 will work great one day but another day case 4 will or will it be case 3 or 1 or 5 Or is it that 2 was set slowed down on the tracking speed that day as was 5 but 5 had accelerate decelerate set to fast as did 3 but on 3 auto point switching was set to slow ETC ETC :)
Rob.

Rob, the first bit makes a lot of sense. The quiet mode will be useful in hides and might stop some tutting. I can't understand the next bit.

cheers, alan

Rob, the first bit makes a lot of sense. The quiet mode will be useful in hides and might stop some tutting. I can't understand the next bit.

cheers, alan

It was tong in cheek Alan, the 7d mkII has what's called case setting's like on the 5dmkIII and 1dx they are handy but can be very confusing .
Rob.

I will wait for some bird photographers to test it but for me if it has a "quiet" mode then "sounds" good (see what i did there) waiting 4hrs for kingfisher to land only to be spooked by shutter noise is rather frustrating!
Two fps & two mega px is not a massive seller to me..but if iso is better & noise in images then i will seriously consider ordering..i have two 7d's & i have always been pleased but like others im hungry for more tech!

I have found the AF case settings very useful on the 5D3 and are a big plus for the 7D2 IMHO. You have you got 6 different cases to choose from with each one made of of three elements (Tracking sensitivity, Accel/dece tracking and AF point auto switching).

Regarding dual cards..if i use an 8gb cf card do i need 8gb sd..or will different combo's work..
Im buying sd card in preperation..but i have until january because thats my purchase date..
Unless i win big tonight!

You can use different memory sized cards, the SD cards are so cheap now that you might as well get a much bigger one. When away from home I tend to use my faster CF card and then transfer the images on to a much bigger (and cheaper) SD card at the end of the day, clearing the CF card to use again.
I read somewhere that the camera writes pictures to the card at the speed of the slowest card in the camera but I haven't noticed much difference when I take out the SD card and use the slightly faster CF card on it's own.There again I don't usually have too many shots in a burst anyway.This slowest card rule might refer to recording the same images on both cards and then it would make sense that it had to wait for the slowest one to write the image before going on to the next.
Just make sure the camera is capable of using the card you buy. My 5D3 will take a 64GB card but the 1D1V wouldn't take anything bigger than 32GB.

Last edited:
With the dual card setup in the 7D2 will it be possible to save every image as a RAW file on the CF card and as a JPEG on the SD card?

Having been bitten by a failed card just beware of max size. I bought a 32gb, well known and reputable, as prime card and it failed whilst writing unknown to me. Result many lost RAW images, luckily had my backup jpeg but limited processing. I now limit to 16gb max. I am probably being unnecessarily cautious but once bitten and all that. I also change my CF cards every day irrespective of how much written on them. Leave the backup SD until needs changing. Of course purely a personal view and no doubt there are many who use bigger cards without issue.

Phil

Having been bitten by a failed card just beware of max size. I bought a 32gb, well known and reputable, as prime card and it failed whilst writing unknown to me. Result many lost RAW images, luckily had my backup jpeg but limited processing. I now limit to 16gb max. I am probably being unnecessarily cautious but once bitten and all that. I also change my CF cards every day irrespective of how much written on them. Leave the backup SD until needs changing. Of course purely a personal view and no doubt there are many who use bigger cards without issue.

Phil

Out of curiosity entirely, where did you get the idea that memory size influences failure rate? a 32 is also a pretty small card. Just seems odd as I have never encountered this premise before, and to be honest am more than a little skeptical of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back