• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon DSLR /Lens Micro Adjustment (1 Viewer)

bob freeman

Hi
I remember that in the last year or so some kind person posted a link on this Canon thread about how to micro adjust Canon DSLR to various Canon lenses using just the green light viewed when manuel focus is used.
It involved pressing the shutter halfway in manual focus and looking at the green in focus light while moving through different plus and minus micro adjustment settings etc and then calculating the result by setting the halfway setting of the plus and minus result, it was a real quick way of doing this without setting up charts etc.
If anyone could please refresh me on how this was done or even better know how to access the link again it would be much appreciated.
I used this method and found it really good but now have another Canon body I would like to adjust to various lenses and can't seem to find the link anywhere after searching through various posts etc , my memory ain't what it used to be so I can't remember how I first did it.
I am sure I saved the link somewhere but can't remember that either.

Thank you

Bob

Hi
I remember that in the last year or so some kind person posted a link on this Canon thread about how to micro adjust Canon DSLR to various Canon lenses using just the green light viewed when manuel focus is used.
It involved pressing the shutter halfway in manual focus and looking at the green in focus light while moving through different plus and minus micro adjustment settings etc and then calculating the result by setting the halfway setting of the plus and minus result, it was a real quick way of doing this without setting up charts etc.
If anyone could please refresh me on how this was done or even better know how to access the link again it would be much appreciated.
I used this method and found it really good but now have another Canon body I would like to adjust to various lenses and can't seem to find the link anywhere after searching through various posts etc , my memory ain't what it used to be so I can't remember how I first did it.
I am sure I saved the link somewhere but can't remember that either.

Thank you

Bob

This isn't exactly what you are looking for as it's Nikon but it will work on a Canon and is worth a look. I watched it and doing the same on my 70D was a doddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM

This isn't exactly what you are looking for as it's Nikon but it will work on a Canon and is worth a look. I watched it and doing the same on my 70D was a doddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM

This is exactly what he is looking for. On FredMiranda.com Fred himself linked to this video in the thread. The guy doing the video is the guy who came up with the idea.

I like it better than lens align and focal.

Thank you very much Gentlemen DOT TUNE that's what I was looking for.
I will save it somewhere safely this time.

Cheers

Bob

Really helpful

I was struggling with 7D Mark11 to get anything decent with 400 F5.6 lens, 100-400 was better but not perfect. tried this and it turned out that I needed +10 Micro adjustment on 400 and -5 on 100-400, way more than on previous body.

I then shot some high ISO stuff in the gloom of the garden, not brilliant but considering Blackbird was ISO6400 in almost dark, Collared Dove 3200 and Robin 2000 and Jackdaw 1600(with x1.4) perfectly acceptable particularly as I bought the camera for low light situation where 7D sometime just wouldn't get even a decent record shot.

Attachments

• blackbird in virtual darkness.JPG
    blackbird in virtual darkness.JPG
    788.6 KB · Views: 150
  • collared dove poor light.JPG
    collared dove poor light.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 128
  • collared dove2.JPG
    collared dove2.JPG
    438.1 KB · Views: 121
  • robin on fence.JPG
    robin on fence.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 127
  • jackdaw with 1.4 ext.JPG
    jackdaw with 1.4 ext.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back