• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Kaibab 15x56 HD: pre and post 2013 differences? (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hello all,
does someone know the differences (optically and externally, if any) between the older and newer (post 2013-14) version of the Kaibab 15x56 HD?
Thank you

Maybe I have found them:

OLDER AND DISCONTINUED
Magnification 15 x
Objective Lens Diameter 56 mm
Eye Relief 17.4 mm
Exit Pupil 3.7 mm
Linear Field of View 226 feet/1000 yards
Angular Field of View 4.3 degrees
Close Focus 23 feet
Interpupillary Distance 60-74 mm
Height 7.7 inches
Width 5.7 inches
Weight 44 ounces

NEWER AND CURRENT
Magnification 15 x
Eye Relief 15 mm
Exit Pupil 3.7 mm
Linear Field of View 215 feet/1000 yards
Angular Field of View 4.1 degrees
Close Focus 23 feet
Interpupillary Distance 60-76 mm
Height 7.7 inches
Width 5.7 inches
Weight 43.5 ounces

Looks as if the lowly HD Vulture is a smorgasbord of the two. Only 15 mm eye relief, yet uses the 4.3 *. What I wonder about is the close focus. Both versions of the Kaibab, and the Minox BL 15x56, are 23 feet. Why would the Vulture be 15 feet? Eyepiece design? I wanted the closer focus and of course the lesser Vulture in open box fit neatly into meager finances.

Naturally, all I received from Vortex was a design difference. I knew that already. The Vulture is approximately the same weight/length/width/power as the Kaibab. And though I do not doubt the Kaibab possessing superior glass I wonder how the close focus difference plays into their differences.

Magnification 15 x
Eye Relief 15 mm
Exit Pupil 3.7 mm
Linear Field of View 226 feet/1000 yards
Angular Field of View 4.3 degrees
Close Focus 15 feet
Interpupillary Distance 59-74 mm
Height 7.6 inches
Width 5.8 inches
Weight 43.6 ounces

They are all roofs and 15' is over one third closer focus than 23'. Everything being a compromise, what did the Vulture give up to enjoy the close focus?

Vortex Viper HD 15x50
Magnification:15 x
Objective Lens Diameter:50 mm
Eye Relief:16 mm
Exit Pupil:3.3 mm
Linear Field of View:210 feet/1000 yards
Angular Field Of View:4 degrees
Close Focus:8.2 feet
Interpupillary Distance:59-75 mm
Height:6.7 inches
Width:5.2 inches
Weight:28.4 ounces

A mere 8.2 feet, but it's using 50mm objectives.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back