Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.48 average.
Old Thursday 7th December 2006, 21:16   #251
Hubert

You can also observe little owl sitting on the blocks of flats in cities during day.
Old Saturday 9th December 2006, 13:15   #252
OwlTalon
Always Watching

That's a bird I would like to see. I saw two Sapsuckers down the block from my house two days ago, not rare, but certainly not common! I've also been seeing a Merlin still hanging around, probably going to stay the winter, as they occasionally do. My family also saw a Turkey vulture the other day when I was out (they know birds [they picked some up from me], 'specially dad and younger brother), and that shouldn't be on Long Island. hmmm....
Old Sunday 10th December 2006, 04:29   #253
USA_Twitcher

Hi all,

Iíve known about BF for a long time but just now got around to joining. Iím 16 and live in the U.S. Iíve been birding seriously for 4-5 years now and my lifelist stands at 425 (all from the U.S.) I'll be birding Florida, New Jersey, Arizona, Northern Michigan, and possible Texas and California next year so that'll fill in some gaps in my list.

Itís great to see so many young birders from all over!

Good birding,
Ethan
Old Sunday 10th December 2006, 04:36   #254
tizziec

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpelisChinito
Hi all,
Semi-long time birdforumer, first time poster on this thread. I'm 17 and live in Boston, MA. I am also a bird photographer, my website is in my signature. My life list is at 209, with six lifebirds today! I got lucky. The six were Hooded Merganser, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Canvasback, and American Coot. I'm applying to Cornell and Ohio Wesleyan University to study ornithology. BTW, I was Cornell's featured photographer of the month for October, in case anyone goes on their website. You can see it here- http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...bum/index_html

So that was you? Brilliant. My copy of birdscope has been passed around the family a bit and you gain a lot of compliments (and my envy of course ) Good luck with college. had I found my passion at a younger age I would have done the same
Old Sunday 10th December 2006, 08:58   #255
JRE
Registered Member

Hi Ethan, and a warm welcome to Birdforum and the Young Birders area!
Old Monday 11th December 2006, 00:15   #256
BiggSkua

New to BF

Hi everyone,

I also just joined BF. I'm 16 and have been birding seriously for 5 years. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I spend most of my time birding around the city. Living on Lake Erie has been great because of how different the birding is from the rest of Ohio. This fall alone I have seen Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Black,Surf, and White-winged Scoter, 7 species of gull, Red Throated Loon, and Red-necked Grebe, all nearly 500 miles away from an ocean. I also volunteer in the Entomology and Ornithology Departments of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Anyway, its nice to meet some other Young Birders.

Phil

Last edited by BiggSkua : Monday 11th December 2006 at 00:18. Reason: error
Old Monday 11th December 2006, 00:50   #257
Accipiter91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSkua
Hi everyone,

I also just joined BF. I'm 16 and have been birding seriously for 5 years. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I spend most of my time birding around the city. Living on Lake Erie has been great because of how different the birding is from the rest of Ohio. This fall alone I have seen Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Black,Surf, and White-winged Scoter, 7 species of gull, Red Throated Loon, and Red-necked Grebe, all nearly 500 miles away from an ocean. I also volunteer in the Entomology and Ornithology Departments of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Anyway, its nice to meet some other Young Birders.

Phil
Hello and welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home! If you have any questions, feel free to ask anyone, including myself.
Bob
(10) My last dragonfly lifer: Bar-winged Skimmer, Painted Skimmer, Spangled Skimmer
Old Monday 11th December 2006, 03:38   #258
Katy Penland

Originally Posted by The Firecrest Yo mean you're using copyrighted photos for your avatar? Isn't that illegal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barn Owl
Yep, it is...

But, if we're being brutally and horribly honest: who cares!?

Realistically you're not gonna get sued!
You might not get sued, but BirdForum could. In case you missed it when you joined BF, the member guidelines (in the "Members Notice Board") say:

"Please do not post material that is protected by copyright, unless you are the copyright holder or have the author's permission."

Here's a thread that some of you have already seen, but it's got links to other websites that offer free avatars. As you'll see, if you ask any of the BirdForum members to use their photos (e.g., from the Gallery), they'll more than likely say it's okay. But you do have to ask.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....hlight=avatars

Last edited by Katy Penland : Monday 11th December 2006 at 04:36. Reason: Forgot the URL :-)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2010 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th December 2006, 04:34   #259
AmpelisChinito
Cedar Waxwing Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizziec
So that was you? Brilliant. My copy of birdscope has been passed around the family a bit and you gain a lot of compliments (and my envy of course ) Good luck with college. had I found my passion at a younger age I would have done the same
WOW! That's sooooo cool! You actually knew who I was! That's only happened happened a few other times. I wonder how many others in this country have heard of me? I might be famous? Haha, not really though.
Ohio Wesleyan University 2011, for zoology with an emphasis on ornithology under Dr. Jed Burtt, the president-elect of the American Ornithologists Union.
Old Monday 11th December 2006, 22:28   #260
BiggSkua

Hey,

Just wondering how many people on here from the US,Canada, Mexico or the Carribean use eBird. If you don't - you should. It seems like a hassle at first but I think it is really worth while. www.eBird.org

Oh and there were some Pine Siskins flying over my house today.

Good Birding-

Phil
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 01:48   #261
prairiemerlin
registered guy

geez Phil you're here too?? lol

I sorta use eBird...

Neil

Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 01:54   #262
USA_Twitcher

I use to use e-bird a while ago but haven't for a while. It was becoming too much work.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 02:33   #263
tizziec

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpelisChinito
WOW! That's sooooo cool! You actually knew who I was! That's only happened happened a few other times. I wonder how many others in this country have heard of me? I might be famous? Haha, not really though.

Well considering anyone who takes part in feeder watch or the house finch survey saw your face and the article i would sayyou are a bit known
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 02:37   #264
nctexasbirder
young birder

hello all, i am also a young birder, 17.....been birding for 3 or 4 years now....starting to get out more and see more birds, etc......i probably have at least 30 bird books....waiting for my new binocs for Christmas.....starting to learn to bird by jizz...
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 08:41   #265
JRE
Registered Member

Once again, I would like to insist that we Brits get a look in on this thread, Sam, you're not posting enough! You've got glories across the pond, but us? Deprived.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 16:30   #266
nctexasbirder
young birder

ha! you've got the best field guide ever! (Collins)

brits have way better bird books than U.S., believe me!

Last edited by nctexasbirder : Tuesday 12th December 2006 at 16:34.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 16:35   #267
JRE
Registered Member

Books, great fun. But it's BIRDS I'm talking about. When I said glories across the pond I sure didn't mean books!
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 17:12   #268
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firecrest
Once again, I would like to insist that we Brits get a look in on this thread, Sam, you're not posting enough! You've got glories across the pond, but us? Deprived.
No idea what to post about, really...

Any ideas, shout 'em out and I'll talk

A bit busy at the moment, creating a blog with my mate from school...
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 17:23   #269
Ant
North Wales birder

Quote:
but us? Deprived.
We're not, there is over 500 species on the offcial uk list, and many birding specticles round the uk. the most notable being the huge seabird colonys in summer, starling roosts in autumn, the corvid roost at Newborough (cant remember exactly, but its at least the largest in the UK, I think It is infact the largest in Europe.) The geese (the mayjority of the worlds population of some species overwinter here.) And the huge number of waders around our coast.

Just think about all those underwatched sites on our islands.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 17:48   #270
nctexasbirder
young birder

Quote:
Books, great fun. But it's BIRDS I'm talking about. When I said glories across the pond I sure didn't mean books!
aheh, i thought that might have been it but you brits can get higher lists since you can get around easy.....but we arent THAT much higher....
you brits get to know your birds better though...and thats most important

i think yours are alot more diversified and interesting than ours! i am jealous of YOU.......anyway

i think i said "brits" one too many....
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 23:29   #271
BiggSkua

More diversified??!?!?! More intersting!?!? Come on, I beg to differ. Look at the US, birds range from Boreal species ( Snowy Owl, Black-backed Woodpecker, Boreal Chickadee etc.), to neotropic birds, ( Green Jay, Crested Caracara, Montezuma Quail) and nearly everything in between. And as far as intersting, google Greater Sage Grouse, or Rufous Hummingbird, or Long-billed Curlew. Spectacular birds like Cerulean or Blackburnian Warblers, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Oriole. It doesn't have to be rare for it to be intersting, even the most common bird here like Northern Mockingbird or Blue Jay are fascinating. But that's just my overly biased opinion. Oh, and true that it is easier to get around in the UK but I'm sure you can find over 300 species of birds within 50 miles of you, if you give it 2 years or so, maybe less depending on where in TX you are. Of course none of this is to put birders outside of the US down. Just saying, appreciate what you got.

Good birding,

Phil
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 23:31   #272
USA_Twitcher

Quote:
More diversified??!?!?! More intersting!?!? Come on, I beg to differ. Look at the US, birds range from Boreal species ( Snowy Owl, Black-backed Woodpecker, Boreal Chickadee etc.), to neotropic birds, ( Green Jay, Crested Caracara, Montezuma Quail) and nearly everything in between. And as far as intersting, google Greater Sage Grouse, or Rufous Hummingbird, or Long-billed Curlew. Spectacular birds like Cerulean or Blackburnian Warblers, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Oriole. It doesn't have to be rare for it to be intersting, even the most common bird here like Northern Mockingbird or Blue Jay are fascinating. But that's just my overly biased opinion. Oh, and true that it is easier to get around in the UK but I'm sure you can find over 300 species of birds within 50 miles of you, if you give it 2 years or so, maybe less depending on where in TX you are. Of course none of this is to put birders outside of the US down. Just saying, appreciate what you got.

Good birding,

Phil
I second that...nicely said Phil!

Ethan
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 23:44   #273
nctexasbirder
young birder

ok....come move here then!
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 23:47   #274
BiggSkua

Where in TX are you exactly? It can't be that bad. I'm in the middle of a big city in Ohio, and there are still birds to b found.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 23:51   #275
USA_Twitcher

Quote:
Where in TX are you exactly? It can't be that bad. I'm in the middle of a big city in Ohio, and there are still birds to b found.
hmm...nctexasbirder..I'm guessing from NC Texas haha. Yeah I do see where you might not get all the "Mexican" birds from being too far north. You are on the other hand able to see a lot of birds from both the east and the west. You get down to the coast or Rio Grande yet?

Ethan
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: