Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.48 average.
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 15:04   #51
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firecrest
A stringer who can't even spell! Dear, oh dear!
How dare thee!
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 15:06   #52
Jurij Hanžel
Registrirani uporabnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barn Owl
Hi Hubert,

In Britain the current name is Lesser Sand Plover, in fact I've never heard of a Lesser Mongolian Plover.
Sam
There alternative name is Mongolian Plover, stemming from the bird's Latin name: Charadrius mongolus

Btw, I'm a young birder as well (16 yrs)

Last edited by Jurij Hanžel : Thursday 17th August 2006 at 15:47.
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 15:09   #53
JRE
Registered Member

Quote:
How dare thee!
Sorry mate. But it's true. Yoo carnt spel, kan yoo?
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 15:10   #54
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurij Hanžel
There alternative name is Mongolian Plover, stemming from the bird's Latin name: Charadrius mongolus
Cheers, must make the effort to learn Latin names sometime. Picked a few up, but it would certainly be good to discover what they mean
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 15:11   #55
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Sorry mate. But it's true. Yoo carnt spel, kan yoo?
Two troo, two troo

PS When are you sending that PM you said about
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 15:12   #56
JRE
Registered Member

Got all sensible now, have we?
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 16:51   #57
Ant
North Wales birder

Very simply.

No. of years birding: About one
No of birds seen: around 140
No of birds seen this year: around 136
Rarest birds seen: green heron & stilt sandpiper.
Birds I want to see: Hawfinch and slavonian grebe. (will see them this winter)

I like seeing new birds, but I'm not fussed when it comes to numbers.

Most of my birding is done on my own, although I do occasionally meet up with other birdwatchers. (I did arrange the BF welsh bash afterall).

I also went up a hill, called hope mountain the other day, saw 4 buzzard, 3 kestrel and 2 mistle thrush.

Last edited by Anthony Britner : Thursday 17th August 2006 at 17:04.
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 18:03   #58
Stephen Menzie
Being English isn't about hate. It's about disgust. We're all disgusting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon M
when picking a University - go to UEA! In my first term highlights included:-
October
Isabelline Wheatear (Languard), Paddyfield Warbler (Torness), Hoopoe (Boulmer), Laughing Gull (Featherstone), Long-tailed Skua (Sheringham), Daurian Shrike (Montrose).
November
Semi-palmated Sandpiper (Grutness, self-found), Chimney Swift and Desert Wheatear (Holy Island), Little Swift (Cromer), Grey-cheeked Thrush (Potter's Bar), Upland Sandpiper (Kingston Seymore), White-rumped Sandpiper (Salthouse) Desert Wheatear (Caister)
December
Sociable Plover (Rainham), Buff-bellied Pipit (Frampton)
Although if you want a proper education.....
My geography is a bit rusty, but I could have sworn last time I looked on a map I lived closer to half of those birds being in Liverpool than someone in Norwich! I can see the advantage of being there for the Little Swift; the Desert Wheatear; the Wr Sand maybe. The LT Skua is pushing it a bit.. But the rest! You might as well go to Coventry Uni - at least it's central. Hehehe.

As for all this spelling lark, so long as it sounds right when you read it out loud. That's my philosophy anyway. But I speak funny (apparently), so sometimes that doesn't always work.
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 18:09   #59
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzie
Although if you want a proper education.....
My geography is a bit rusty, but I could have sworn last time I looked on a map I lived closer to half of those birds being in Liverpool than someone in Norwich! I can see the advantage of being there for the Little Swift; the Desert Wheatear; the Wr Sand maybe. The LT Skua is pushing it a bit.. But the rest! You might as well go to Coventry Uni - at least it's central. Hehehe.

As for all this spelling lark, so long as it sounds right when you read it out loud. That's my philosophy anyway. But I speak funny (apparently), so sometimes that doesn't always work.
Sounds good to me! Already central... great for the RSPB day trips... anywhere in England and Wales.

You speak funny... oh, dear, he tells me after we've arranged to go to the Birdfair together. You need to learn to speak propa, like what I do
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 18:30   #60
Stephen Menzie
Being English isn't about hate. It's about disgust. We're all disgusting...

Quote:
Sounds good to me! Already central... great for the RSPB day trips... anywhere in England and Wales.

You speak funny... oh, dear, he tells me after we've arranged to go to the Birdfair together. You need to learn to speak propa, like what I do
So long as you appreciate the subtleties of a monotonic voice, everything will be just fine
Old Monday 21st August 2006, 09:32   #61
JRE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Britner
Very simply.

No. of years birding: About one
No of birds seen: around 140
No of birds seen this year: around 136
Rarest birds seen: green heron & stilt sandpiper.
Birds I want to see: Hawfinch and slavonian grebe. (will see them this winter)

I like seeing new birds, but I'm not fussed when it comes to numbers.

Most of my birding is done on my own, although I do occasionally meet up with other birdwatchers. (I did arrange the BF welsh bash afterall).

I also went up a hill, called hope mountain the other day, saw 4 buzzard, 3 kestrel and 2 mistle thrush.
140 species after only one year birding is excellent.
Rarest birds: Green Heron and Stilt Sand. Wow!

Cheers,
Jyothi
Old Friday 25th August 2006, 13:16   #62
JRE
Registered Member

Thought I'd dig this thread out again, see what happens.
Old Friday 25th August 2006, 13:50   #63
KnockerNorton

If nobody's already mentioned it, have a look at voluntary wardeing for the RSPB on their reserves. You work on the reserve but also get plenty of opportunity for birding. You could also offer to do similar for other reserves. You usually have to pay your own food but you sometimes get accommodation for free.
Old Saturday 26th August 2006, 07:02   #64
JRE
Registered Member

I already do almost exactly that. The leader of the local RSPB group takes me to Bowling Green Marsh regularly. Walk in to the hide, set up our scopes, and have 3 hours quality birding 'with the public'. It's great fun, and John usually recruit at least 2 people to the RSPB. In between telling people where the Bar-tailed Godwits breed, and showing people how to tell the difference between them and Blackwits, I've even managed to pick up a few lifers (Osprey, LR Plover, Gargeney). There's always masses on offer at this great reserve, if you're down in Devon, give it a go.
Old Saturday 26th August 2006, 17:10   #65
JRE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Thought I'd dig this thread out again, see what happens.
Come on guys!
Old Saturday 26th August 2006, 21:48   #66
nctexasbirder
young birder

Greetings from America! I am 16 and live in Texas and have been birding about 3 years...my life list isnt that great but the TX coast is probably the greatest birding on earth....
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 09:17   #67
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctexasbirder
Greetings from America! I am 16 and live in Texas and have been birding about 3 years...my life list isnt that great but the TX coast is probably the greatest birding on earth....
In which case I'll have to visit one day...

Sam
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 19:32   #68
JRE
Registered Member

Seconded. Mind you, Norfolk in September... I'm waiting for someone to tell me to shut up about it! Not you though Sam!
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 20:12   #69
PaulK
Accident Prone Birdwatcher

Excellent, people my age. I'm 17 and have been birding for about 6 years almost exclusively Kent apart from the odd family holiday to Cornwall and a couple of weekends to Norfolk. It is kent where I have seen pretty much all my birds and highlights in the past few years have included Canvasback, Pallid Harrier, Little Bittern, Pacific Golden Plover and 2 Red-rumped Swallow. I'm sure everyone else will agree that with non-birding parents getting around is a pain especially twitching! Can't wait to drive - driving test in a month!! I'm hoping to reach 350 species before i'm 19 (I know its a long shot but its worth a go).

Down here in Kent I see very few people my age out and about but i've got some excellent friends (twice my age) at Dungeness RSPB where I am a qualified volunteer.

British list:165
Last lifer: Bee-eater at Dungeness

My bird list has slowed down recently due to a huge interest in moths and moth twitching!! As well as tearing all the ligaments in my Knee last year 11 months on crutches but still managed to twitch Laughing Gull and Dusky Warbler - a week after coming out of hospital for a final operation

All this birding however isn't doing my A levels much good and I'm having to retake most of my AS's. Hoping to do ornithology at Uni though and that doesn't really require any qualifications.

Good birding and if any of you are in Kent one day it would be nice to meet up.

Paul
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 20:35   #70
JRE
Registered Member

You've seen some great rares. What common birds are absent on your Brit list? Have you ever been to Devon? What's Norfolk like? What's the rarest bird you've found yourself?
Regards,
Jyothi (say it Joe-t)
Old Tuesday 12th September 2006, 18:03   #71
lammy
If it's a bird ... it's a photograph

Smile passion for birds

I'm only 11 and already I've some amazing birds my dad bought a canon 350d camera
and i've got pictures of dragonflies, birds and bugs my local patch is in preston at brockholes quarry so iwas wondering if I could put some in the gallery

lammy
Old Tuesday 12th September 2006, 18:14   #72
deborah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy
I'm only 11 and already I've some amazing birds my dad bought a canon 350d camera
and i've got pictures of dragonflies, birds and bugs my local patch is in preston at brockholes quarry so iwas wondering if I could put some in the gallery

lammy

Hiya Lammy! Got a niece your age but more into music I'm afraid. I'm sure one of the Mods will officially welcome you at some point and let you know about your photos but in the mean time:

A very big welcome to Birdforum!

Hope you stay with us and keep up with your birdwatching!

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th September 2006, 18:55   #73
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy

lammy
Welcome to BF! Hope you enjoy it...

More youngsters the better... lets put the old school to shame...

Sam
Old Tuesday 12th September 2006, 21:05   #74
PaulK
Accident Prone Birdwatcher

Quote:
You've seen some great rares. What common birds are absent on your Brit list? Have you ever been to Devon? What's Norfolk like? What's the rarest bird you've found yourself?
Regards,
Jyothi (say it Joe-t)
Hi Firecrest, the only common bird i'm really missing from my list is Wood Warbler - unfortunately, i think, has been lost as a breeder in Kent. All those scottish species (Caper, Black Grouse, Red Grouse etc) are also missing.

I've only been to Prawle Point to see the Cirl Buntings. The family holiday is always in Cornwall so unfortunately I always go straight through. Id love to try places like Bowling Green Marsh and the other reserves.

Norfolk is amazing. I've only been a couple of times and it is only for a few of days. I was blown away the first time I went - saw Sammy, Stone Curlew and loads of waders at Titchwell. The last time I went I managed a male Montagues Harrier.

The rarest bird I've found myself is a Red Kite on my local patch in Kent - not bad I don't think. Found a Red-crested Pochard at Dunge RSPB reserve but not sure how real that was.
Old Friday 15th September 2006, 18:48   #75
JRE
Registered Member

Hooray, I'm not the youngest BF member!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: