Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.48 average.
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 18:00   #101
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Sorry for jumping in, but I am a young birder:

Residence: Long Island, NY
Life list: 266
Rare/interesting birds I've seen: Snowy owl, California condor, Trumpeter swans, Sandhill cranes, Painted bunting, Arctic tern, Fulvous whistling-duck (On Long Island, very rare)
Favorite birds I've seen: Snowy owl, Condor, Bald eagle, Red-tailed hawk
Favorite birdwatching spots: Lake George NY, Jones Beach NY, Jamaica Bay NY, Montauk NY, Yellowstone WY, Grand Canyon AZ
Biggest mistakes: Initially mistaking a Condor for a Turkey Vulture (almost causing me to miss it), Reporting a "Bridled tern" at Montauk (A Black tern, lovely, but not as rare), mistaking an RC airplace for a peregrine diving
Birds I most want to see: Aplomado falcon, Whooping crane, Northern goshawk, Northern hawk-owl, Gyrfalcon
Bird that has eluded me longest: Eastern screech-owl; heard multiple times, but I just can't find one
Place I want to go birding most: New Zealand

That's basically it. I'm very glad I'm not the only teenage birder on the planet!

Last edited by TCondorOwl92 : Sunday 24th September 2006 at 23:55.
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 18:04   #102
JRE
Registered Member

I'd love to go to America. A 2 day birding trip would probably give me 100+ lifers! How old are you exactly?
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 19:43   #103
fotoemin

I am still young also:P I have been birding since 2002(I have started in 2001 actually but my regular records started on February 2002) I'm now 20..

My Turkish checklist is 365, and life list is 370.(just a visit to Germany)

300. species in Turkey was Green Warbler(Phylloscopus nitidus)
350. species was White-tailed Plover(Chettusia leucura)
365. was Terek Sandpiper(Xenus cinereus)

I did 483 observations in this four years in Turkey . 483 days in the field..There's only 23 regular species remained which I can see in Turkey.. The others are vagrant.
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 20:36   #104
OwlTalon
Always Watching

I Was surprised, even out west, there are people who would love to visit where I live. As I get excited about Steller's jays, Clark's nutcrackers, Mountain chickadees, Swainson's hawks, and Heerman's gulls, people west of the Rockies are begging me to describe to them Blue jays, Northern cardinals, Tufted titmice, Red-shouldered hawks, and Roseate terns. Yeah, you probably could get about 100 in 2 days. From what I seen on some of these threads, people on the other sid of the pond flip out over our American robin! Then again, a Eurasian robin in my yard......
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 20:46   #105
JRE
Registered Member

Is Eurasian Robin rare over your way? 3rd most abundant bird in Britain, downright everywhere, and can be very tame too. American Robin has a habit of wintering here only to be reported by non birders after it has left, often been visiting their gardens for months beforehand. Very frustrating. Usually turns up in London, can't think why.
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 20:56   #106
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Never heard of Eurasian Robin here, but I'm sure they are very, VERY rare. Had a Eurasian wigeon here once. My dad, brother and I (dad in to birds, not as much as me, brother just along for the ride) saw it on a birdwalk, but by the time the group stopped watching a song sparrow, it had swum around the bend out of sight (if you've watched ducks swim, you know how long they must have been). What would be great is if we got a secretary bird or a griffon vulture over here! (of course, t'would only be fair if you got a bald eagle and a California condor, and I'm sure you're just as likely to get those as we are to get the other two!)
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 21:20   #107
The Barn Owl

There was a Bald Eagle in Ireland once wasn't there?

It's on Birdwatch list anyway, so it must be true
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 22:03   #108
will bowell
Will the wandering birder

Hey the youth of the Young Birders Thread.
I'm hardly young compared to some of u, but compared to most of the old farts on this forum, I think I can get away with posting on here and introducing myself to the other youth....

I'm Will, I'm 19 and live in four fingured fenland Lincolnshire. Dunno what my life list is, but wrexile1 and kite and others probably do (they seem to have worked it out for me- I'm not that lazy, honest). Dunno what my year list is on either. Last decent birds I saw were Wryneck, Red-breasted Fly (self found), RBShrike and GGShrike- all last weekend.

Oh wait... I can hijack this thread to plug my website http://willsadlib.blogspot.com/

Check your young, you truanting, or excluded for drinking behind the bike-sheds youth like selves.

Will
http://willsadlib.blogspot.com/ (visit it)

Don't take what I say seriously.....!
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 08:35   #109
JRE
Registered Member

Excellent blog Will. AMAZINGLY close pic of a Wryneck, how did you do it?!
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 14:32   #110
Wiktoria

I saw only 92 sorts in Poland. It not enough :( In Croatia saw else 6 sorts - case 98 sorts. But I'm obserwing birds only April this year.
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 16:01   #111
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Good start Wiktoria! Hopefully you can get 100 sorted out by the end of this year!
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 18:31   #112
JRE
Registered Member

Wow! 42 posts in your first day! Welcome to BF!
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 18:55   #113
Wiktoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCondorOwl92
Good start Wiktoria! Hopefully you can get 100 sorted out by the end of this year!
I have such intention

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firecrest
Wow! 42 posts in your first day! Welcome to BF!
I can's refrain from commenting photos :)

Last edited by Wiktoria : Monday 25th September 2006 at 15:32.
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 19:40   #114
will bowell
Will the wandering birder

Quote:
Excellent blog Will. AMAZINGLY close pic of a Wryneck, how did you do it?!
It walked up to us. Loads of people got the shots.

Had Pallid Harrier (lifer) and my 5th Rosy Starling in Britain today.

cheers
Will

Don't take what I say seriously.....!
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 22:22   #115
OwlTalon
Always Watching

I reiterate, I am very glad I am not alone in the world! Its great to be able to swap stories with you guys, especially since you are so close to my age, unlike most people on this forum. OK, question I'm throwing out there, what started you guys on birds? Can't say for me, I have always loved them (as a baby i slept with a stuffed snowy owl, which was favored over the teddy bear), but I'd like to hear stories if you guys have them.
Old Monday 25th September 2006, 07:53   #116
Ant
North Wales birder

Quote:
I reiterate, I am very glad I am not alone in the world! Its great to be able to swap stories with you guys, especially since you are so close to my age, unlike most people on this forum. OK, question I'm throwing out there, what started you guys on birds? Can't say for me, I have always loved them (as a baby i slept with a stuffed snowy owl, which was favored over the teddy bear), but I'd like to hear stories if you guys have them.

I've enjoyed watching birds, and all wildlife for most of my life. but during this time, I never bothered learning what they where. Then, 2 years ago I began learning the ID's of verious birds, then, a year and a half ago, I got fully hooked when I saw the first ospreys to breed in my country for the first time since they where wiped out in the uk.
Old Monday 25th September 2006, 20:32   #117
Tri-Counties Birder
AKA The Portland Naturalist

Quote:
what started you guys on birds? Can't say for me, I have always loved them (as a baby i slept with a stuffed snowy owl, which was favored over the teddy bear), but I'd like to hear stories if you guys have them.
Well, for me it all started off when my mother took me on a guided walk where we were looking specifically at insects. I got fascinated in them first, and then I naturally got onto birds a few years ago. And (rather more perversely than Anthony's Ospreys) it was finding my first Redwing near my school that got me really hooked, and finding Waxwings near my house in the winter of 04/05 (before I found out that they were everywhere in that winter!) increased that interest.

P.S. My 300th post!

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th September 2006, 20:40   #118
J Jones

Quote:
Is Eurasian Robin rare over your way? 3rd most abundant bird in Britain, downright everywhere, and can be very tame too. American Robin has a habit of wintering here only to be reported by non birders after it has left, often been visiting their gardens for months beforehand. Very frustrating. Usually turns up in London, can't think why.
If you were old enough as us veterans of 16+ years old, you'd remember the two from the 2003/04 winter.

Personally I thought the Grimsby bird was poor, much preferred the Baltimore Oriole in Headington, Oxon.
Old Monday 25th September 2006, 22:35   #119
Poet For Sale
Dirty Twitcher

Howdy folks,

I too am a young birder. 17, from Southampton, Hampshire.

Been birding since I can remember, and twitching the same amount of time.

Wrexile, can't say the Oriole was too bad Scored the Cornwall Robin and Oriole in the same day. Not a bad day! Honestly thought the wall of the house opposite was gunna collapse with ladders and people pushed against and on it.
Sign of a real rarity though: Up-turned and decimated artificial flower beds, scavenged to gain that extra six inches of height, scattered along gardens.

As for starting birding, like I said, been birding and twitching since I can remember. One of my first memories though, is the perfect plumaged adult male Citrine Wag at Fleet Pond, Hants whenever that was! Stunning bird.

Sure my email address is on my profile somewhere if anyone wants my msn address or anything.

Lisle x
Old Thursday 28th September 2006, 16:14   #120
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE

Good start, Wiktoria, keep going!

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 1st October 2006, 21:27   #121
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Are you guys members of any local birding clubs? Really a great way to see birds.
Old Monday 2nd October 2006, 17:11   #122
The Barn Owl

Yep, RSPB local group, go on as many of the trips as possible
Old Monday 2nd October 2006, 19:23   #123
Tri-Counties Birder
AKA The Portland Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barn Owl
Yep, RSPB local group, go on as many of the trips as possible
Same here, a very useful way of seeing more birds, especially if you can't drive.

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th October 2006, 09:49   #124
JRE
Registered Member

Sam, you didn't bump into another RSPB group at Titch did you? If so, that was mine, couldn't go cos I didn't book in time, but I told the leader to say hi if he met a 13 year old lad with another group.
Old Saturday 7th October 2006, 17:40   #125
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Sam, you didn't bump into another RSPB group at Titch did you? If so, that was mine, couldn't go cos I didn't book in time, but I told the leader to say hi if he met a 13 year old lad with another group.
Noop, didn't knowingly meet anyone from another RSPB group - could've done though! My RSPB group seems to go every year, so maybe in twelve months...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: