• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (5 Viewers)

so, do bf and bebirder and owltalon get together to go on birding trips every so often? it would be so neat if all the young birders could get together and take a birding trip somewhere.

Actually we all have - once. I'm trying to get us to out to Camp Chiricahua next year - this year a bunch of OH birders are going. And I can't wait to find out when the next young birder conference will be (watch this site). Previosuly they were in CO, AZ, CA, then CO again. I probably won't be able to go, but hey, it might be around my neck of the woods.

This sibley guide site is awsome!
I've just decided to work few days in my friend's father company to earn some money for sibley guide. You know, in Poland it is a bit expensive.

BTW.Storm-petrel, how many lifers did you get exactly?
IN Poland you would see not only pied, but also collaredand red-breasted :p.

Wow - lots of lifers and inside jokes. So how common were European birds in Germany on average? When I went to Ireland I mainly saw shorebirds and corvids, no warblers or finches at all ('sides a Bullfinch that I ID'd three years after observation - you wouldn't believe what an awful angle I had to watch that fat pinkish bird snooze in a tree).

Hi Storm petrel, your trip reports bring back memories for me, I was in the same area 25 years ago. Presumably the mountain you went up to in the cable car is Zugspitz. I remember the goulash & Alpine Choughs well + the shortness of breath. In addition your description of Spotted Flycatcher wing & tail flicking is correct, they do this habitually. I like to think of it as semaphore between different individuals. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I found a female HOODED warbler at my sister's baseball game!! Last week!! She was hiding in the brush at the fields edge, near a swampy area. I thought it was Wilson's, but she had very distinctive white tail edges. Didn't have as much black on the head as some guide pictures, but I found more than a few pics that are perfect matches. There was no mistaking it! I don't know what it was doing so late, let alone in not exactly suitable habitat.

Wow! I have only seen one and that was a male! very nice! I don't like baseball, so that would have made the game much more enjoyable for me!

Wow - lots of lifers and inside jokes. So how common were European birds in Germany on average? When I went to Ireland I mainly saw shorebirds and corvids, no warblers or finches at all ('sides a Bullfinch that I ID'd three years after observation - you wouldn't believe what an awful angle I had to watch that fat pinkish bird snooze in a tree).

first of all, anyone who wants to get the inside joke go to the sibley on birdforum? thread in ruffled feathers. they are really really common everywhere if you know the right places to look. garmisch partenkirchen, which is the place im staying has been recognized as a birding spot. today i got a new lifer, the marsh warbler, POSSIBLY. thats why i havent put in my signature yet. ill be able to confirm the id though cuz i got a recording of it on my digital camera and will. Bullfinches have really funny beaks!!;)

I found a female HOODED warbler at my sister's baseball game!! Last week!! She was hiding in the brush at the fields edge, near a swampy area. I thought it was Wilson's, but she had very distinctive white tail edges. Didn't have as much black on the head as some guide pictures, but I found more than a few pics that are perfect matches. There was no mistaking it! I don't know what it was doing so late, let alone in not exactly suitable habitat.

congrats!!!:t: :t: ive always wanted to see one but never have:-C :-C
so far

Congrats on the 300 posts bf! Soooo close, three more days, three more days, three more days! Then S-U-M-M-E-R!!!!!! Really looking forward to thsi trip, stupid tests getting in my way! Me is smart enuff!! ;)
Yeah, be, bf and I only gone together once. Bf and miself, thats a different story! Got a fair few lifers and such together now!

Last edited:
Its alright, bebirder. all the really young birders have to plan a big birding trip soon before college and all that crud. by the way, does anyone know where ampelis chinito has been?

by the way i still dont have all yalls aims. i only have tim.birdboys, audubobs, and i think cjwolf. i havent been on it for awhile cuz i dont have it at the hotel comp. if you care to give it to me, just pm it to me.

Attention All Young Birders! Think you know the birds of North America? Test your mettle against other birders in the new "Secret Bird II" quiz located in the forum's "fun quizzes section"! Thanks, enjoy, and good luck! :t:

hey guys - I'm in the middle of a cross-country trip (in eastern NM right now!) We're on our way to CA, where we will be staying permanently! o:) I've just been able to do a bit of birding, but seen some neat stuff (one lifer - Scissor-tailed Flycatcher), such as Mississippi Kite, Cassin's Sparrow, Curve-billed Thrasher, Bell's Vireo, Western Meadowlark, Bewick's Wren, etc. Hopefully I'll get some cool stuff in CA soon!!!

neil "insanely hot" g.

bebirder said:
Yeah, I'm the one that always gets left out
Wish you could've come!! Wish I could've gone with you guys a few times! Like that Rufous Hummingbird and Barrow's Goldeneye practicaly in your backyard!! And your super-out-of-place gull!!

Wish you could've come!! Wish I could've gone with you guys a few times! Like that Rufous Hummingbird and Barrow's Goldeneye practicaly in your backyard!! And your super-out-of-place gull!!

Oh well that's been discredited ;) . But if you're free BE, we can hook up and I can give you the tour de south shore (sharp-tailed sparrows, anyone? B :) )

Jeez everyone's up to soemthing now. I'm feeling really left out since all the other young birders in my area are doing something good for bird kind, so I'm reconsidering heading to upstate NY to Cornell to help with swallow banding.

I wish that Storm-petrel's idea were possible, but having all the young birders get together? According to some ABA published thingy, there have been over 500 kids trying out for the young birder of the year contest, and then a couple hundred more who haven't been discovered (I've actually seen gradeschoolers weilding binolucars on occasion!).

BTW Battle Audubob in his secret bird thread, then test your birding knowledge on my photo quiz, both located in the Quiz forum! NOW!

I wish that Storm-petrel's idea were possible, but having all the young birders get together? According to some ABA published thingy, there have been over 500 kids trying out for the young birder of the year contest, and then a couple hundred more who haven't been discovered (I've actually seen gradeschoolers weilding binolucars on occasion!)

I think that there are a lot more youngbirders in the world than most of us think. Its just that many of them don't belong to listserves or Birdforum. I've met plenty of young birders on audubon walks, but I never saw any of them again. Perhaps we should have some kind of young birder census to clear things up;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back