Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.48 average.
Old Wednesday 25th October 2006, 19:04   #151
Wiktoria

I saw else 3 sorts last time:
- Parus ater
- Aegithalos caudatus
- Carduelis flavirostris

So I have 101 kinds on the life list

I hope I'll see dozen sorts this year
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 10:52   #152
JRE
Registered Member

Hey Sam, I'm on 171 for 2006, level with you. 3 lifers and a year tick at Flamborough, lifers were (all self-found) Purple Sand, Sooty Shear and Pinkfoot. Year tick was Twite. Life 284, Britain 179. Still got Slimbridge to go!
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 11:02   #153
PaulK
Accident Prone Birdwatcher

Sooty Shearwater - very jelous Firecrest. I've missed so many on sea watches including one I just couldn't get on to!!

My '06 list is now 202 after seeing Penduline Tit yesterday. Thats my 5th lifer this month all in Kent!

Firecrest, Where have you been abroad to have 105 non-british birds on your life list?
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 11:14   #154
JRE
Registered Member

France, India and Spain very briefly.
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 12:56   #155
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Dang! I thought I was going on a birdwalk today, but no can do. Oh well, I reached my goal for the year, to surpass 250 types, and I now have 266.
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 14:59   #156
Gray_Wolf
A life dedicated to animals.

I don't even have a life list. I just love watching birds. :/
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 19:28   #157
The Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firecrest
Hey Sam, I'm on 171 for 2006, level with you. 3 lifers and a year tick at Flamborough, lifers were (all self-found) Purple Sand, Sooty Shear and Pinkfoot. Year tick was Twite. Life 284, Britain 179. Still got Slimbridge to go!
I'm on 175 for 2006 after Gib Point today - 4 ahead of you
And 196 BOU Brit List, with one lifer today

Lifer - Short-eared Owl, quartering the marsh, and what a stunner. Made my day!

Year ticks - Brent Geese, Pinkfeet and Goosander - saw Goosander earlier in the year several times, but didn't make it on the list for some reason

Also - 3 Red-throated Divers, 4 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Sanderling, far too many Curlew, a female Merlin a few feet away and at eye level, and that was about it

Good day, but a total of 6 hours in a coach with a dodgy seat wasn't amazingly fun!

Cya,

Sam

btw everyone, me and Jyothi enjoy a little friendly competition

oh, and PPS - still got some place in Wales I dare not try and spell, and probably Rutland as well this year
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 19:39   #158
Simon M

Menzie wrote
"Although if you want a proper education..... "

harsh Stephen! Although www.urbandictionary.com carries the achronym UEA as University of Easy Access. In it's defence norwich got voted best city to go to uni in a recent poll (no I didn't just ask 3 pissed students) and I turned down Durham to go there....

Menzie wrote
"My geography is a bit rusty, but I could have sworn last time I looked on a map I lived closer to half of those birds being in Liverpool than someone in Norwich! I can see the advantage of being there for the Little Swift; the Desert Wheatear; the Wr Sand maybe. The LT Skua is pushing it a bit.. But the rest! You might as well go to Coventry Uni - at least it's central. Hehehe. "

Fair point I guess, you can go twitching from anywhere, I was just trying to show that there are some active twitchers / birders to get in with. Actually this year East Anglia has been rubbish.... may have been better wandering round random gardens in the West Mids!
Might post one of these i've been birding x years and seen y birds in a while, but since most of you know who I am it'll just bore you all, so I'll leave it for the time being

Apologies for not being able to get proper quotes to work

Last edited by Simon M : Sunday 29th October 2006 at 19:44.
Old Monday 30th October 2006, 09:14   #159
JRE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barn Owl
I'm on 175 for 2006 after Gib Point today - 4 ahead of you
And 196 BOU Brit List, with one lifer today

Lifer - Short-eared Owl, quartering the marsh, and what a stunner. Made my day!

Year ticks - Brent Geese, Pinkfeet and Goosander - saw Goosander earlier in the year several times, but didn't make it on the list for some reason

Also - 3 Red-throated Divers, 4 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Sanderling, far too many Curlew, a female Merlin a few feet away and at eye level, and that was about it

Good day, but a total of 6 hours in a coach with a dodgy seat wasn't amazingly fun!

Cya,

Sam

btw everyone, me and Jyothi enjoy a little friendly competition

oh, and PPS - still got some place in Wales I dare not try and spell, and probably Rutland as well this year
Dang! Oh well, Slimbridge, and loads of different Devon sites... might still have a chance!
Old Monday 30th October 2006, 11:53   #160
J Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon M
Actually this year East Anglia has been rubbish.... may have been better wandering round random gardens in the West Mids!
yup, its been absolutely bloody dire most of the time. Mind you, the majority of the British Isles has been.
Old Saturday 4th November 2006, 07:43   #161
JRE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrexile1
yup, its been absolutely bloody dire most of the time. Mind you, the majority of the British Isles has been.
How many firsts have we had this year? Is it just Olive-tree Warbler?
Old Saturday 4th November 2006, 10:15   #162
J Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firecrest
How many firsts have we had this year? Is it just Olive-tree Warbler?
And Canada Warbler.
Old Saturday 4th November 2006, 12:06   #163
sylvia staffs
Filthy tick hungary Twitcher

Quote:
And Canada Warbler.
Wasnt that in Ireland!!

Love Sylvia
Old Saturday 4th November 2006, 13:02   #164
Steven Astley

Quote:
The joys twitching. Most of your posts have been moody and despondent since about mid summer. Birding can be exciting without the need for a never ending quest for lifers or year ticks.

Last edited by Steven Astley : Saturday 4th November 2006 at 13:06.
Old Saturday 4th November 2006, 16:34   #165
J Moss

Agreed.

Firecrest, I think its astonishing that you have a life list of 284 at the age of 13. Your IDing ability must be amazing. Is your family interested in birding as well, or any older friends? If not, I'm impressed.

J Moss
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 11:33   #166
J Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia staffs
Wasnt that in Ireland!!

Love Sylvia
Indeed, but he didn't state firsts necessarily had to be in Britain
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 11:35   #167
J Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Astley
The joys twitching. Most of your posts have been moody and despondent since about mid summer. Birding can be exciting without the need for a never ending quest for lifers or year ticks.
Lol.

I'm not just a twitcher Steven. I get out on my inland patch whenever possible and have amassed close to 180 species or so on it. I know very well that birding is not simply a ticking quest. It irritates me when people say that, especially when they do not realise I am actually also a ringer, WeBS counter, avid local patcher etc etc.

It has been a very poor autumn on the patch for species such as Northern Wheatear and other common migrants, and this has been the state across the UK - no falls of common migrants, no great seawatching, no great raptor passage, waders were a little disappointing, not many rarities and so on. If you think my comment was purely twitch and tick-based, think again mate.

Maybe you should complain like that to people who are twitchers and twitchers only (and there are plenty out there!). Then your comments would be fair.

Last edited by J Jones : Sunday 5th November 2006 at 11:39.
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 11:51   #168
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss
Agreed.

Firecrest, I think its astonishing that you have a life list of 284 at the age of 13. Your IDing ability must be amazing.
I've never met Firecrest, so his ID ability may very well be amazing (it's certainly apparent that he's very very keen).... but there really is virtually no correlation between a decent life list and ID ability.

Give someone a pager, a decent amount of free time and money, and they could rack up 320 species in a year, without knowing anything much about what they'd been looking at...

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 17:28   #169
J Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum
I've never met Firecrest, so his ID ability may very well be amazing (it's certainly apparent that he's very very keen).... but there really is virtually no correlation between a decent life list and ID ability.

Give someone a pager, a decent amount of free time and money, and they could rack up 320 species in a year, without knowing anything much about what they'd been looking at...
I agree, but how do you get "a decent amount of free time and money" at 13! I guess, with a Uk list of 179, Firecrest must be a pretty hardcore twitcher. I've twitched once in my life (Yellow Browed Warbler, Lapland Bunting and Red Backed Shrike at Cley on the same day this summer) and didnt see any of the three birds! The bunting was amongst a flock of linnets and was near impossible to single out in the glaring sunlight, and the other two had just dissapeared when I arrived. Hit and miss, I suppose. I have seen a Rosefinch in Stifkey that was being twitched, but only had any idea what it was because I was told.

What I'm getting at is, IDing non-native, unusual birds (esp LBJs, Warblers, etc), ought to take a lot of experience and practice. I would never 'tick' a bird unless I was absolutely sure.

Firecrest, I'm not dissing you. If anything, I'm very impressed. Whats your secret? (any other young birders with crasy long lists, feel free to comment)

J Moss
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 18:25   #170
J Jones

Quote:
I guess, with a Uk list of 179, Firecrest must be a pretty hardcore twitcher.
Er, why?
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 18:46   #171
J Moss

Well, my life list is 172, and I live in Norfolk, so I think thats pretty good going. Anyway, I meant that it's a good list for a 13 year old.
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 19:37   #172
J Jones

Quote:
Well, my life list is 172, and I live in Norfolk, so I think thats pretty good going. Anyway, I meant that it's a good list for a 13 year old.
Fair enough, I did not realise you meant his list was sizeable because he was so young. Apologies.

However, I have recorded 173 species on my local patch - an area only a couple of miles wide at most, and have done this in four or so years, therefore proving you do not have to be a twitcher to see 170+ spp.....
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 20:02   #173
J Moss

Hmm, I guess that 170+ isnt that much really. I just went through Collins, counting the birds that it wouldnt be unreasonable to see in Norfolk without much effort, and excluding major rarities, and I figure that 184 wouldnt be difficult, if you know where to go, which I think I do. I only really started birding this Summer (which is crazy, considering I've lived in Norfolk all my life) and a Car really helps, letting me get to places like Cley and Titchwell easily (about 15 miles each way from my house) I'm really looking forward to getting back and seeing some birds that I've missed.

J Moss
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 21:10   #174
dbradnum

Quote:
I agree, but how do you get "a decent amount of free time and money" at 13!
OK, substitute in "parents with free time and money", and the same applies.

Quote:
What I'm getting at is, IDing non-native, unusual birds (esp LBJs, Warblers, etc), ought to take a lot of experience and practice.
Indeed... but twitching rare birds doesn't require experience and practice, and so accumulating a big life or year list doesn't either. I'm not having a go, or trying to put anyone down, just want to question one or two illusions.

As for accumulating a list in Norfolk... you can see 150+ in a day in May, and my first year list (sounds like some sort of Fisher Price toy!) aged about 11 was over 200 species without any great effort.

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th November 2006, 23:43   #175
Gray_Wolf
A life dedicated to animals.

Boy, have I been busy? :/

I have been doing so much resurch on Animals, (Mostly mamals and fish.) But I'm back...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: