Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.48 average.
Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 17:04   #201
AmpelisChinito
Cedar Waxwing Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlTalon
If the name and avatar aren't dead give-aways, I love owls, Snowy being the BEST, especially since they show up right around my hometown in winter.
I seen three Great-horns, one Barred (and lured in another with a recording, only heard it), one Barn, one Great-gray, heard numerous Screechs, but they still avoid me, and one handsome immature male Snowy at the beach.
Today, I hope I will get an oppurtunity to see some turkey! (and eat a drumstick!)
Yeah, here in South Boston, we get a couple Snowy Owls every year at one of the local beaches, that is within short bicycling distance.
Ohio Wesleyan University 2011, for zoology with an emphasis on ornithology under Dr. Jed Burtt, the president-elect of the American Ornithologists Union.
Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 20:26   #202
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpelisChinito
we get a couple Snowy Owls every year at one of the local beaches
Same, for some reason they are regulars to the Northeast and Great Plains, whereas in other regions they only show up in irruption years. The field guides, however, never show Long Island, or for that matter Massachussets, within the normal winter range for Bubo scandiacus, which bothers me, because we ARE in the normal winter range. I wanted to complain to Sibley about that, but he fixed it in the pocket regional guides, so hopefully others will follow. (the little things bug me at times )

I have a thery about this phenomenon. Adult snowies follow the population fluxes of the lemming, right? Most of the non-irruption year birds I have seen pictures of are immatures. Maybe, for their first winter, snowies follow the arctic breeders south, perhaps because they are not skilled enough to survive an arctic winter as adults can. Perhaps shorebirds like dunlin or plovers, or the snow buntings and horned larks, all of which are common in winter up the northeast coast. Maybe that's why we are graced with their presence yearly. AC, you live in regular snowy range, what do you think?

Last edited by OwlTalon : Thursday 23rd November 2006 at 20:31.
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 18:36   #203
Wiktoria

Hi Hubert

I feel the same. I'm going pleas my aunty that she will buy me some book about birds of Norht America. What're good books (it isn't must the best)?

Last edited by Wiktoria : Friday 24th November 2006 at 18:39.
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 21:50   #204
Hubert

I was two times on "owling camp" (about 3 days), but during camps i saw only one owl which was long or short-eraed :). But actually I've seen Tawny, Ural and barn owl in Poland and Little owl in S Europe.

Last edited by Hubert : Friday 24th November 2006 at 22:03.
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 21:57   #205
Hubert

Hi Wiktoria, I think that the best for North America is Sibley, but in fact I've never tried it :).
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 22:03   #206
AmpelisChinito
Cedar Waxwing Chairman

Hey OwlTalon,

Today I got my 3rd owl ever, a Short-eared Owl. YEAH! It was awesome, right in the middle of the day. While birding, we ran into some folks at Plum Island is way northern Mass, from New York! They came all the way from NY in search of a Green-tailed Towhee and an American Avocet. Both birds haven't been seen there since last week. Stupid New Yorkers. Haha, just kidding. Seriously though, Red Sox rock.
Ohio Wesleyan University 2011, for zoology with an emphasis on ornithology under Dr. Jed Burtt, the president-elect of the American Ornithologists Union.
Old Friday 24th November 2006, 22:42   #207
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpelisChinito
Hey OwlTalon,

Today I got my 3rd owl ever, a Short-eared Owl. YEAH! It was awesome, right in the middle of the day. While birding, we ran into some folks at Plum Island is way northern Mass, from New York! They came all the way from NY in search of a Green-tailed Towhee and an American Avocet. Both birds haven't been seen there since last week. Stupid New Yorkers. Haha, just kidding. Seriously though, Red Sox rock.
Hey! State discrimination!! I don't like how vagrants always disappear before you get a chance to get down there! However...........I was lucky enough to go to Jamaica Bay (a few miles away) on the day a FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCK was there, without even knowing about it! Did you catch that one? When I don't expect rare birds, they show, when I go to find something, "Just missed it".

I have a confession to make, don't beleive in rails, I've never seen one. (limpkins and cranes are real, but I'm not so sure about some warblers)

Last edited by OwlTalon : Friday 24th November 2006 at 22:44.
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 01:03   #208
bebirder

No Rails!

If you're from Long Island You should have gotten the early King Rail at Tobay in April. It the easiest rarity I have ever seen. I got some great looks at it. Oh yeah, and you should have gotten the Connecticut at Jamaica bay in September. It was as easy to find as the King Rail. And I got the Fulvous Whistling Ducks

And the Red Sox rock.

Brent Bomkamp, 13

Last edited by bebirder : Saturday 25th November 2006 at 11:29.
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 06:27   #209
JRE
Registered Member

Hey Brent, welcome to Birdforum! I'm also 13.
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 07:45   #210
Wiktoria

I'm 13 too

I saw only one owl - long-eared owl
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 13:16   #211
OwlTalon
Always Watching

You see? I gotta join a message board so I know when these things show up! I woulda made (my parents take) the drive to see the Red-footed Falcon up in Mass, if I didn't hear about it a year later! Frustrating!
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 14:02   #212
bebirder

You should join the New York State Birds listserve. You can find out how to join here: http://www.nybirds.org/RecordsRBA.htm
You should also join Metro Birding Briefs:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btblue/

Brent
Old Monday 27th November 2006, 17:30   #213
Gray_Wolf
A life dedicated to animals.

Sorry I haven't posted here, I went on a trip to the zoo, and have been busy past that.
Old Monday 27th November 2006, 18:07   #214
prairiemerlin
registered guy

hey OwlTalon,

Rails DO exist, and so do Connecticut Warblers. :)

I chased a Vermillion Flycatcher and Green-tailed Towhee in the UP this weekend, and I saw both. Also Gray Jays, Northern Shrike, and Rough-legged Hawks. What fun.

--Neil G. 14

PS - if there are any birds that don't exist, they are Black-backed Woodpeckers or Northern Hawk Owls...

Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 22:33   #215
OwlTalon
Always Watching

I saw NO owls this sunday. AAARRRGGGHH!!!
Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 23:01   #216
Accipiter91

Quote:
I saw NO owls this sunday. AAARRRGGGHH!!!
I am so jealous of you guys! I have only seen one species of owl in the wild and that was a Barred Owl! What I really want to see is a Great Horned Owl!

PS: I am 15 going to be 16 in April. Yeah!
(10) My last dragonfly lifer: Bar-winged Skimmer, Painted Skimmer, Spangled Skimmer

Last edited by Accipiter91 : Wednesday 29th November 2006 at 23:09.
Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 23:07   #217
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Great-horns really are amazing, my favorite owl next to the Snowy. Barreds are cool too! If I could see any owl I have never seen, it would be a Northern Hawk Owl.
Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 23:10   #218
Accipiter91

Quote:
Great-horns really are amazing, my favorite owl next to the Snowy. Barreds are cool too! If I could see any owl I have never seen, it would be a Northern Hawk Owl.
I would like to see a Burrowing Owl
(10) My last dragonfly lifer: Bar-winged Skimmer, Painted Skimmer, Spangled Skimmer
Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 23:13   #219
neil brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barn Owl
I'm only 13 but I already have a passion for birds and wildlife in general (in the Summer hols I went to Aviemore and found Ospreys, Hen Harriers and Sparrowhawks flying over the cottage). Just wondering if anyone has any tips for someone my age to travel to new places to see new birds, apart from holidays. I live in Coventry so I have reasonable access to most of England and Wales. I'm always keen to see new birds (my lifetime ambition is to beat the record set by Phoebe Snetsinger, but my lifelist (all in Britain) only consists of 158 species). Any help greatly appreciated!!!
i too started birding at about your age although older now, i live in scotland and have done nearly all my life but when i first started i lived in bedworth which is very near to coventry. i find the most enjoyment in having a local patch, traveling to see new birds is very exciting but nothing compared to really getting to know 'your' patch with all its related wildlife and when something rare turns up there its really special. i have been a ringer for a good many years also and it helps you to question the birds you see - why are they there? what are they doing? birds are such a vast and wonderful hobby that there is always something to learn, good luck and enjoy
Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 23:14   #220
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiktoria
I feel the same. I'm going pleas my aunty that she will buy me some book about birds of Norht America. What're good books
Yeah, the Sibley Guide to Birds of North America is probably the best, but the National Geographic Complete Guide to Birds of North America is like, a reference guide, REALLY good!
Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 23:14   #221
OwlTalon
Always Watching

Burrowing owl would be very nice!

Hubert, about the detacthment from my NA sightings, I feel the same way bout you guys! We all have parrallel species. American robin for European robin, Red-tail for Buzzard, Sharpie for Sparrowhawk, Downy/Hairy for Great/Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. There are very few we share! Merlin, Osprey, the gulls (unfortunately, Starling and House sparrow), and Barn swallow, or do you call it European swallow? I still don't know their average airspeed velocity.

Edit: Speaking of airspeed velocity, I found out an answer to a question I have long held with no answer! Snowy owls can attain speeds of roughly 50 mph (80 kmh for our metric-friends) in pursuit flight. I always wanted to know that, makes sense though if they can catch ducks in flight after a chase, waterfowl in escape flight reach 40-50mph. Now I know! Fast for an owl, isn't it? (also, regarding owl intelligence: are they at, slightly above, or slightly below average for a bird?)

Last edited by OwlTalon : Thursday 30th November 2006 at 00:49.
Old Thursday 30th November 2006, 13:30   #222
Hubert

No, we call this species like you, Barn swallow.

But I think that there are in Notrh America more species than Europe due to bigger biodiversity.

Last edited by Hubert : Thursday 30th November 2006 at 13:35.
Old Thursday 30th November 2006, 16:54   #223
The Barn Owl

Do you lot across the Atlantic have Barn or Short-eared Owls? Now they are great birds!
Old Thursday 30th November 2006, 17:16   #224
prairiemerlin
registered guy

Yea... we have both Barn and Short-eared. Owls are awesome, though I'll have to disagree with OwlTalon... Snowy Owl is not my favorite one. I really like Northern Pygmy-owls and Spotted Owls. How many species of owls have all of you seen? (I've seen 15; Barn, Short-eared, Long-eared, Great-horned, Barred, Great Gray, Spotted, Snowy, Eastern, Western and Whiskered Screech, Elf, Northern Pygmy,Northern Saw-whet and Burrowing.)

~Neil Gilbert, 14

Old Thursday 30th November 2006, 18:00   #225
Hubert

I've seen 4
But as ia said you have more species in N America, in Europe (whole) we have about 13 species, and also in Poland:
Tengmalm's - rare breeder
Short-eared - irregular breeder
long-eared - quite common breeder
Great Grey - accidental (about 12 records)
Ural Owl - regular rare breeder (mountains and NE forests)
Tawny - common breeder
Little - decreasing breeder
Pygym Owl - only mountains and NE forests
Hawk Owl - accidental - i'm going to see this in Saturday :]
Snowy Owl - very irregular winter guest
Eagle Owl - local breeder
Scops Owl - accidental
Barn Owl - decreasing breeder

This is sumary of situation of owls in Poland. ;-)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: