• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My E3 repair is becoming a nightmare (1 Viewer)

Derry

my E3 bricked after I had done the 1.3 firmware and was trying to do the 35-100 firmware upgrade,, both were sent to the East Coast Oly repair center as they requested,,

both were working fine with no issues,,

a call last week and Oly says the 35-100 needed some repair but no detail at that time and no status about the camera,, UPS package arrives today with only the lens and the repair ticket only says upgraded firmware,,???

a call to customer svc to find status on the E3 body and since it is 4:30 central time I get the California office,, the svc rep there informs me they sent out a letter (no call) that the repair cost will be $435.50 and will need my approval,, I ask for some detail and she says it is for a few parts but cannot be specific,, so she recommends I call the East Coast svc center the camera tomorrow morning,,

the camera was working fine up to doing the firmware upgrade and now it is $435.50 in repairs,,

will follow up with the details as I receive them,,

Derry

updated info Feb 18th

discussions with Oly this morning indicates the letter I had sent along with the camera and lens explaining what happened had been separated from the camera and they were just shooting me a price for a general repair check up since the tech had no idea what was specifically wrong with the E3 body,,????? wonder why the West Coast svc tech came up with the few parts comment,,??

I re-explained what happened and he was going to talk with the tec and call back,, he called and the new price is $122 for a bricked camera to be repaired,,

I also asked if he could tell me what they fixed on the 35-100 lens as last week the svc person had indicated they found a problem,, his only comment was they did the firmware upgrade,,

can only recommended if you send any gear into Oly for repair to stay on top of it as they appear to have a low grade system for capturing any information for a later exchange,,

camera should be ready to ship in two days according to the scv rep,,

Last edited:
called Oly svc yesterday and the E3 body has been sent out and will arrive this coming Tuesday, will be a tad over three weeks,, I asked the svc rep what they actually fixed and he could not indicate,,??? hopefully the repair sheet in the box will have more detail,,

Derry

I'm sorry to hear about your problems Derry but glad to hear it is slowly being sorted out. I was reading about the saga on Fourthirdsphoto. Did you have any problems with the download or did it install all right but just brick the camera? I assume it's out of warranty and you will have to pay for the repair. That's a bit tough.

Ron

Ron, computer screen indicated the 1.3 firmware was through installing with no problems,, then I was asked if anything else was to be upgraded, when I clicked on the 35-100 lens which was on the camera during the E3 upgrade the computer says cannot find,, had powered it off and on but did not pay attention to anything not working until I did it a couple more times and then noticed,,

anxious for Tuesdays arrival,,

Derry

E3 arrived late yesterday,, placed 35-100 on it and all is working well,, only issue when checking software it still has 1.2 loaded as Oly did not update it,,???????

Derry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back