• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

501HDV or 701HDV (1 Viewer)

jascha777

Having trouble deciding between these two.
I use a Kowa 883 which is quite heavy and
do quite a bit of digiscoping,any thoughts
would be most welcome.
Many thanks
Mark

I have the Kowa 883 and prefer the Gitzo G2180. The built-in counterspring helps considerably when digiscoping and it is considerably smaller/lighter than the 501. Only other type of head I would consider for digiscoping would be a gimbal-type.

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• Kowa Digisco Kit (800x600).jpg
    Kowa Digisco Kit (800x600).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 718
Hi Mark

The 701 gets quite a bit of good press but my personal opinion has been quite the opposite considering I too do a lot of digiscoping. I tried three different heads of the 701 and they all suffered the same frustrating problems that I found impossible to get over. I have used three(different branded) heads over time and on the link below is my opinion on each and one I have found a dream to use.

I have not used the 501 but it too gets good marks but the weight always put me off.

http://www.wildrossendale.co.uk/Birding-Equipment.html

Just skim down the page to see tripod heads

For the 883, the 501 HDV should be an excellent head. The stability difference between the 501 and 701 under full-size scopes such as the 883 is significant enough to warrant carrying the extra weight and paying the additional price. I have used the non-HDV 501 and know its worth. I have also briefly tested the 701 HDV, under the Nikon ED 82 A which is comparable to your Kowa in bulk, and although I thought it was a nice enough head, I felt that compared to my reference head, the Gitzo 2380, it was too much of a stability compromise. I have not yet used the 501 HDV, but have been told by people whose opinion I trust that it is significantly better than the older 501.

Kimmo

Yes been using the 701CR2 last time with my ED82 then changed to 501HDV, it is better for digiscoping plus balancing the weight of the scope too.

I know that Rick has recommended the Gitzo G2180 in the past and it would be lighter than the 501, if I remember right he uses a longer sliding mounting plate to balance better. I have the older 501 and found it worked very well for my not so light Celestron 80ED with Pentax K100D Super camera mounted. My set up is a little overkill for the Kowa 883, the tripod that is.;)

Regards,Steve

Attachments

• sandmound,hawk,computer fall 2008 107 (Large).jpg
    sandmound,hawk,computer fall 2008 107 (Large).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 5-9-09  80ed dslr & lex 028 crop.jpg
    5-9-09 80ed dslr & lex 028 crop.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
That's right Steve. I use the small Manfrotto slide bar that came with my 503 head. My kit is totally optimized to be as light as possible while still providing a stable/rigid digiscoping platform for my 187cm height.

Since I must rely on public transport and walking a few miles to get anywhere, I could never endure humping the 501 and the bigger "everything" needed to accomodate it! Not only is the 501 1kg heavier, but is physically not very svelt.

The G2180 is only the size of a womans fist and its 4kg load capacity comfortably exceeds my kit's ~2.5kg weight including the 883+20-60x zoom with DA4 swing out adapter and camera with hood. Very smooth gimbal-like movement. Well worth the price premium to me.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks for all the replies,I think my best bet will
be actually trying them for myself-not too easy
when you live in the middle of nowhere!!
Mark

ps nice Robin shot Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back