• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What no (Gitzo) gimbal head... (1 Viewer)

With the massive popularity of the Wimberly head maybe Gitzo felt that they couldn't really push into that segment of the high quality market and make a big enough return? It's not as if they lose sales totally since most able to afford and get the Wimberly are also mounting it on Gitzo legs

Hmm true, but theirs is something like half the price of the Wimberly - so its not a direct competition as such - I get the feeling a Gitzo option would be snubbed if it was anything less than a Wimberly made and prices competing product - and that just might not be in their interests.

Apart from the price, what's the difference between the Wimberley, Calumet and Benro. They all look the same.

Hmm true, but theirs is something like half the price of the Wimberly - so its not a direct competition as such - I get the feeling a Gitzo option would be snubbed if it was anything less than a Wimberly made and prices competing product - and that just might not be in their interests.
I'm in agreement with you, Overread - I'm just making the point that if Gitzo wanted a presence in the gimbal market, it would seem to be achievable without there necessarily being a price premium.

Apart from the price, what's the difference between the Wimberley, Calumet and Benro. They all look the same.

Just that, the price, simple as that. ;)

Should clarify I have the Calumet and it is identical in function as I see it to the Wimberely and I paid £200 for mine. The only let down is the plate which is poorly machined and designed but luckily the Calumet is Arca Swiss compatible.

Last edited:
1. The tripods all appear to be fairly lightweight, and not the sort of thing you would put a gimbal/large lens on.
2. While Gitzo make nice legs, I have found that the heads often leave a lot to be desired. Also their quick release plates are not all that good-mine always worked loose several times a day, no matter how tight the screws were. In order to compete in the gimbal market they would have to be Arca compatible.

1. The tripods all appear to be fairly lightweight, and not the sort of thing you would put a gimbal/large lens on.
2. While Gitzo make nice legs, I have found that the heads often leave a lot to be desired. Also their quick release plates are not all that good-mine always worked loose several times a day, no matter how tight the screws were. In order to compete in the gimbal market they would have to be Arca compatible.

Totally agree! I have 4 Gitzo Tripods, but none of their heads. I have had a play with most of them and either don't like the way they function (eg not smooth) or on the few that I like I can get better heads far cheaper.
I think Gitzo need to re-think their heads - their tripods are some of/if not the best - but many of their heads let the side down IMO:-C

Just that, the price, simple as that. ;)

Should clarify I have the Calumet and it is identical in function as I see it to the Wimberely and I paid £200 for mine.

I compared the Calumet to my Wimberley mkII and it looks more than just identical in function at first glance. It appears to be exactly the same, except for the name Calumet and the 'grip' lines on the arm.. even the tightening knobs look exactly the same. Does anyone know if it is made by the same manufacturer as the Wimberley and is just badged differently?

Br, Mike

I compared the Calumet to my Wimberley mkII and it looks more than just identical in function at first glance. It appears to be exactly the same, except for the name Calumet and the 'grip' lines on the arm.. even the tightening knobs look exactly the same. Does anyone know if it is made by the same manufacturer as the Wimberley and is just badged differently?

Br, Mike

I believe this head is made by TRIOPO (for various retailers), though I cannot be certain. If this is the case then watch out for the part that locks the quick release plate to the head - it is far from a snug fit and I would be wary of trusting it with my 600. I was suprised to see this potential problem on a TRIOPO product as I have a number of their products and find them excellent especially the RS3 ball head which will easily hold anything EOS that Canon currently make.
I may be wrong about the Calumet head (I hope I am!) but suggest you try first, if the QR plate locks in nicely then I am wrong and you are happy!3:)

I believe this head is made by TRIOPO (for various retailers), though I cannot be certain. If this is the case then watch out for the part that locks the quick release plate to the head - it is far from a snug fit and I would be wary of trusting it with my 600. I was suprised to see this potential problem on a TRIOPO product as I have a number of their products and find them excellent especially the RS3 ball head which will easily hold anything EOS that Canon currently make.
I may be wrong about the Calumet head (I hope I am!) but suggest you try first, if the QR plate locks in nicely then I am wrong and you are happy!3:)

I can see where you're coming from having just dug up this http://www.planetnikon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12213

As I have one though I can say I have no worries about the tightness of the QR plate to the head, the Calumet plate does seem to be more solid in this respect compared to the one in the link. The problem with the Calumet is with the bit where you're supposed to put the screw in to the plate was very poorly machined and had virtually no thread and so just ground away at the metal before it actually got through to the other side so it's a complete pain in the arse to take the plate on and off. It's the weak link of the setup but like I said the head can accept any Arca Swiss plate (have already successfully mounted a friends Wimberely plate on it) so it's a downside that can easily be overcome, if you want to that is, I get by quite happily with mine now it's done as I only have one big lens so I never take it off the tripod foot.

If Canon follow suit with the way they did things last year all of their big tele's at the Birdfair will be on Calumet Gimbal heads so anyone going along can make up their own minds about them. Seems though as the Calumet is indeed a rebadged Triopo (Chinese knock off Wimberely according to the link).

Just done this for comparison purposes.

Attachments

• 7O3K4296.jpg
    7O3K4296.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I can see where you're coming from having just dug up this http://www.planetnikon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12213

As I have one though I can say I have no worries about the tightness of the QR plate to the head, the Calumet plate does seem to be more solid in this respect compared to the one in the link. The problem with the Calumet is with the bit where you're supposed to put the screw in to the plate was very poorly machined and had virtually no thread and so just ground away at the metal before it actually got through to the other side so it's a complete pain in the arse to take the plate on and off. It's the weak link of the setup but like I said the head can accept any Arca Swiss plate (have already successfully mounted a friends Wimberely plate on it) so it's a downside that can easily be overcome, if you want to that is, I get by quite happily with mine now it's done as I only have one big lens so I never take it off the tripod foot.

If Canon follow suit with the way they did things last year all of their big tele's at the Birdfair will be on Calumet Gimbal heads so anyone going along can make up their own minds about them. Seems though as the Calumet is indeed a rebadged Triopo (Chinese knock off Wimberely according to the link).

Just done this for comparison purposes.

Thanks for posting that. I am suprised and somewhat dissappointed as aside from the QR plate attachment this head appears to be a top quality piece of kit. As stated previously, I use a number of Triopo's products and find them very good, but on this one they seem to have fallen at the last post! They have done all the hard (expensive) bits and fallen down on this basic part - pity! Still I am sure it would hold a 300 F2.8 OK, but I would check first;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back