• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help just got a Vortex scope and adaper (1 Viewer)

garrickw

Hi everyone just got a Vortex scope and adapter got everything to together
i mounted a canon t1 rebel with a 50 mm lens and cannot get a sharp focus
the Vortex adapter is kind of a rube goldberg i think the mount that adapts to the lens collar on the scope has one screw on one side of the ring .
not enough to keep it really firm on the scope ..

any suggestions not happy so far have camera lens f stop at 1.8 -2.8
manual focus on the camera i am stumped

thanks for any help

Gary

that is the adapter

that is it when you attach the adapter and camera to the ring around the eye piece ring there is only one screw on one side to tighten down i don't think this is going to work with my t1 have a 7d canon also but it weighs more than the t1 sensor is about the same size if i can't get a sharp focus tomorrow its good bye to the scope i think....

Ok. you will need to switch the camera to live view and use manual focus.
Pre-focus the scope first to something approximating focussed, then use magnified live view at 5x or 10x to fine tune focus. This helps you see much better if you have critical focus. Activate the shutter with either 2 sec timer or a cable/remote release. Practice first on an inanimate object. Only expect to get shots of stationary/slow moving objects. Touching the camera will cause so much vibration that most shots will be ruined except in very good light.

You might find you need some exposure compensation (AV mode). I sometimes find a stop or more under is needed.

One prob I see is that hanging the weight of the camera and lens from your 50mm lens filter threads could cause damage to the lens if it is plastic. Also, attempting AF will likely damage the focus motor. Even a rebel will be pushing it, 7D will be heavier still. I use a legacy Takumar 55mm lens to get around this (all metal threads) mounted via an adapter.

You will also have balance issues due to the weight at the back of the scope. This is all possible to overcome if your expectations are realistic.

thanks steve

thank you for the tips i am going to mount the camera again make sure i have it stable i am using AV mode and using the 2 sec timer on a tripod i did use the live mode but i will blow it up to see better so am i getting this right focus in with the scope first and finish with the camera ?

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back