• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Memory card for E-520 (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
I have an Olympus XD card (2 GB) and I think I need a 4 GB card. What type is the best CompactFlash, MicroDrive or xD? What about the brands?
Thank you very much for help.

I prefer using CF cards - they are easier to handle when it's cold, and if you drop them, they are easier to find in the grass!
As to makes - I use SanDisk - reasonably cheap and reliable.

Hi Cristian. I keep a 1GB Fuji XD card and a 4 GB SanDisk Extreme III CF card in my E-510 at the same time, although I have never needed to switch over to the XD card when I am out and about. The CF is easier to handle than the XD card and is possibly a bit quicker to write to. I bought my CF card from Play for £17 a few months ago but it seems the price has gone up quite a bit since then.

Ron

I don't think you can buy an XD card that is larger than 2GB, so if you want to get a larger card, you'll have to go with the CF, I think.

Like Ron, I use a 4GB CF card and have an XD card (2GB) in the extra slot as a spare which I seldom use.

xD cards are synonymous with eXtra Dollars ... for less than the same performance. I can see the use of these in microscopic phones, but nowhere else.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back