• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nasty Woodpeckers! (1 Viewer)

Jayanem

Hi! I'm having trouble with Red-Bellied Woodpeckers at my birdfeeder. They are very aggressive and kill the smaller birds who compete for the seeds. Is there a better feeder to stop this "carnage"? Thanks, ...Jayanem.

Hi, Jayanem,

On behalf of the Admin and Moderator staff at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you!

You mention "birdfeeder" in the singular. Can you tell us what kind of feeder you have, as in what its shape is? And what kind of feed you're using?

In my own yard, I keep larger seeds/nuts separate from the smaller seed that the smaller birds favor. This keeps the jays/woodpeckers, etc., from not only competing with the smaller birds for food, but even keeps them from being in the same physical area.

I'm sure someone else will be able to better address your problem for you, but I wonder if putting up another feeder with larger seeds would draw the woodpeckers away from the smaller birds? Also, providing feed that only woodpeckers (and nuthatches) can access, such as smearing crunchy peanut butter on the bark of trees, or hanging a suet cake on a tree in another part of your yard, will attract the woodpeckers and maybe keep them interested enough they'll leave the other feeder alone.

Some folks like to put a wire mesh enclosure around their small-bird feeders. The outer wire mesh allows small birds to get in but the larger ones can't fit. Unfortunatley, this keeps out ALL larger birds, not just the aggressive woodpeckers.

Hope this helps!

Nasty Woodpeckers, pt.2

Katy Penland said:
Hi, Jayanem,

On behalf of the Admin and Moderator staff at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you!

You mention "birdfeeder" in the singular. Can you tell us what kind of feeder you have, as in what its shape is? And what kind of feed you're using?

In my own yard, I keep larger seeds/nuts separate from the smaller seed that the smaller birds favor. This keeps the jays/woodpeckers, etc., from not only competing with the smaller birds for food, but even keeps them from being in the same physical area.

I'm sure someone else will be able to better address your problem for you, but I wonder if putting up another feeder with larger seeds would draw the woodpeckers away from the smaller birds? Also, providing feed that only woodpeckers (and nuthatches) can access, such as smearing crunchy peanut butter on the bark of trees, or hanging a suet cake on a tree in another part of your yard, will attract the woodpeckers and maybe keep them interested enough they'll leave the other feeder alone.

Some folks like to put a wire mesh enclosure around their small-bird feeders. The outer wire mesh allows small birds to get in but the larger ones can't fit. Unfortunatley, this keeps out ALL larger birds, not just the aggressive woodpeckers.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Katy! Been "feeding" for some 30 years and never saw such "violence"! I DO have a "mesh" feeder holding only "oilers" - but this guy likes to cling on to the side of my "anti-squirrel" tube (covered with 1/2" mesh) containing a mixture of seeds. The "little guys" try to get the millet seed - and he gets THEM! (buried TWO yesterday!) I WILL try your peanut butter idea - usually reserve the suet for the winter months. Thanks for the tips! ........... Mark S. (Jayanem).

Jayanem said:
I WILL try your peanut butter idea - usually reserve the suet for the winter months. Thanks for the tips! ........... Mark S. (Jayanem).
I, too, reserve suet for the winter, but there are seed cakes you can buy to hang in suet feeders that might lure them away. They have less lard in them, if any, so the warmer months won't "melt" them. ;)

Wow, you've been feeding for 30 years?! You must have an amazing variety of birds in your yard.

I hope something works for you. It is really disheartening to have to witness that kind of activity. Keep us posted on how you fare!

Over the years....

Katy Penland said:
I, too, reserve suet for the winter, but there are seed cakes you can buy to hang in suet feeders that might lure them away. They have less lard in them, if any, so the warmer months won't "melt" them. ;)

Wow, you've been feeding for 30 years?! You must have an amazing variety of birds in your yard.

I hope something works for you. It is really disheartening to have to witness that kind of activity. Keep us posted on how you fare!

SuperMod Katy - Yes "30" - old family tradition. We've fed everything from Mallard ducks to an occasional escaped "budgey"! (funny to see them on a platform feeder with the dull-colored sparrows, etc.!) More "exotic" visitors include Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, a Red-headed Woodpecker, and ONCE, just ONCE - an Indigo Bunting. Luckily, we have our small "army" of goldfinches to entertain us, and, of course, those pesky "Redbellies"..... UNfortunately, however, last five years - "Rock Doves" are really on the upswing- I think they are misnamed! They look more like CHICKENS than Doves!!! Thanks for writing again! .....Mark S. (Jayanem)

Jayanem said:
Hi! I'm having trouble with Red-Bellied Woodpeckers at my birdfeeder. They are very aggressive and kill the smaller birds who compete for the seeds. Is there a better feeder to stop this "carnage"? Thanks, ...Jayanem.
Which small birds? If they were all to feed upside down, as from a cage type feeder, they would be too busy getting the food to worry about other birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back