• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of 7x (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I have been thinking for some time about getting a good 7x glass for general use. I currently use the Zeiss 8x32 FL as my main binocular, it's great, but I just seem to feel more comfortable these days with 7x. I'm not in the market for a new Swaro or Leica, more thinking pre owned around the £500 to £700 mark, so my thoughts are, the 7x42 Zeiss FL, and the Zeiss Classic / Dialyt 7x42 (T coated). Now I know in theory the FL should be better, but I also find that this newer ED glass, as bright and sharp as it is. seems to me to lack the warmth of the old lead glass, hence I am leaning toward the older Classic, although I have never looked through one. Any thoughts or views from anyone who has used both appreciated.

IMHO, go for it.
Keep your 8x32's, they are still more compact and work well in many situations.
Get the newest FL you can afford, the old glasses were a Hendsolt design and are not waterproof/fogproof (personal experience).
The Leica HD 7x are more sparkly than the Zeiss, blueish under certain lighting conditions, the pair of Nikon Edge's I tried seemed more neutral than the Zeiss or Leica (testing conditions and personal taste may have given this impression) so you should check all three out.
I find 7x are easier to view through for longer periods of time, YMMV.
Art

I originally had not intended to reply to your thread, as you asked for people who have used both binos and I have only used the FL. However, after using my FL alongside my Nikon SE, I thought I would put up a reply that I hope you find useful, or at least a bit interesting.

I had not really thought of my 7x42 FL to be lacking in warmth, but after using it in a SxS comparison with my Nikon 8x32 SE about an hour ago, I can see what you mean. The SE did provide IMO a slightly warmer view (which I prefer, if given a choice). Not that the FL was cold - not by any means - but there is a difference that is not hard to notice. Therefore, as long as the older bino is sharp in view and has a decent focus wheel, I would bet dollars -- oops, sorry - pounds to donuts that you would indeed prefer it's view over the newer model. Of course if you are never able to do a SxS comparison, then you will never know just how much of a difference there might or might not be.

Even though I prefer the overall view of the SE over the FL, I will not be getting rid of my 7x42 FL any time soon. After all, when the going gets dim, the FL really gets going.......

I have been thinking for some time about getting a good 7x glass for general use. I currently use the Zeiss 8x32 FL as my main binocular, it's great, but I just seem to feel more comfortable these days with 7x. I'm not in the market for a new Swaro or Leica, more thinking pre owned around the £500 to £700 mark, so my thoughts are, the 7x42 Zeiss FL, and the Zeiss Classic / Dialyt 7x42 (T coated). Now I know in theory the FL should be better, but I also find that this newer ED glass, as bright and sharp as it is. seems to me to lack the warmth of the old lead glass, hence I am leaning toward the older Classic, although I have never looked through one. Any thoughts or views from anyone who has used both appreciated.
Look at the new Zeiss 8x42 SF. Same big FOV as a 7x but with advantage of 8x.

Many thanks to all,

Reassured that you noticed the difference in the FL PhilR, I sometimes wondered if it is just me. Thanks for commenting, it is useful, as I have been toying with buying an FL 7x, but my gut feel is that I would like the older binocular better. Den, thanks but I am pretty set on 7x, as far as 8x goes my FL is good enough already, and anyway the new Zeiss is way beyond what I want to pay.

as far as 8x goes my FL is good enough already

Those 8x32 FL's are indeed pretty darn good. I had plans to eventually buy one, but shelved those plans once I got used to the 8x Nikon SE. Not that the SE is any better. They just make me happy enough to not want any additional 8x bino.

I`v tried both but not together, I`d choose the bgat for the aesthetics alone, its a beautiful thing imo.

The Opticron Bga SE is a steal right now at Uttings. A used Slc would be top of my list as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Tri...phy_Binoculars_Monoculars&hash=item1e8cca9fcf

The SLC 7x doesn't get a lot of love, probably the reason for its demise still a fine binocular.

The neu model I have which I had upgraded to easy clean lenses is my most used binocular.

It may not have the best view but, all things considered little to fault.

Very relaxed, sharp excellent contrasty view in my opinion.

Bryce...

Look at the new Zeiss 8x42 SF. Same big FOV as a 7x but with advantage of 8x.

Which still will be a disadvantage when trying to follow Warblers flitting through the foliage of a nearby tree.

Both have the same FOV but Zeiss hasn't said anything about the new 8x42 SF having better depth of field than the 7x42 Victory FL. 7x is still the king there!:king:

Yesterday for about 15 minutes I watched 2 recently fledged Robins hopping about in the branches in the large heavily leafed Silver Maple tree about 15' off my deck with my 7x42 FL while the parents flew in and out to feed them. I was sitting in a deck chair watching this action in comfort.

Bob

Last edited:
Torview, thanks for the link, I had also thought about the Trinny, it is a possibility, I know they are optically good, but as you say, the Bgat is a much better looking instrument, so slim and elegant, it looks well balanced. The 8x32 Trinny is neat and compact, but 42mm models look a bit bulky.

The Opticron BGA is slightly tempting at that price, Bryce seems to like it.

Bob, I was "stalking" a pre owned 7x42 FL, but it went for quite a lot more than my highest bid,well over £800, and I was not too sure about it anyway as although described as mint in the header, the photo was obviously a stock photo and there was no detail given regarding lens condition, or anything really.

Will keep an eye on the trinny, just in case it turns out a bargain, but still look out for a nice bgat, might have to up the budget a tad if another FL comes along.

Ben,

There are some new, 'old stock' Swaro SLC 7x42s still on the market iro £800.00.

I have no connection with the seller but drop me a pm if you are interested.

Best wishes,

Don't mention it, always a pleasure. :t:

I've been hoping that someone will import one of these and post a few notes, it would save me doing it !

Last edited:
Don't mention it, always a pleasure. :t:

I've been hoping that someone will import one of these and post a few notes, it would save me doing it !

I looked this Sanju up, 483ft@1000yds and eye relief 19.2 is pretty impressive, couldn't see a price, do you know what they cost?

Zeiss 8x32 FL vs 7x42 FL vs 7x42 B/GAT

...the 7x42 Zeiss FL and the Zeiss Classic / Dialyt 7x42 (T coated). I know in theory the FL should be better, but I also find that this newer ED glass, as bright and sharp as it is, seems to me to lack the warmth of the old lead glass, hence I am leaning toward the older Classic....

In my experience the views through the Zeiss 7x42 FL and 7x42 B/GAT are very nearly identical. I've used several examples of each, and to my eyes they have the same easy, comfortable view, very wide field, great center sharpness, and impressive brightness. The way each glass handles the extreme edge of the field is different, but in almost all other respects they seem the same to me. The FL is lighter in weight, slightly more compact, and fully waterproof.

I also have the 8x32 FL, and although I consider it a really great mid-size all-rounder, I find either 7x42's view a bit smoother and more comfortable.

....[snip]
I also have the 8x32 FL, and although I consider it a really great mid-size all-rounder, I find either 7x42's view a bit smoother and more comfortable.

And I second the above statement, to the letter. Both are very competent, and despite the FL 8x32 has its strong points, the 7x42 FL is used more often.

Many thanks to all for comments, very much appreciated, well, I now have my 7x, my apologies as it turns out to be not an FL or B/GAT, but thanks to a heads up from Samandag, a new Swarovski, which I thought would be way above my price range, an SLC 7X42, boxed, with full warranty from Swarovski, for under £800 inc P&P. Will post my thoughts when I receive it, which they say should be tomorrow. Thanks again to all.

Swaro 7x42 SLC vs Zeiss 7x42 FL

...well, I now have my 7x, a new Swarovski SLC 7X42....

Good choice! I think the 7x42 SLC is a fine binocular. It's heavier than the FL (965g vs. 760), and the field of view isn't quite as wide (140m vs. 150), but the view is sharp and bright, and it feels good in the hand. I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.

Good choice! I think the 7x42 SLC is a fine binocular. It's heavier than the FL (965g vs. 760), and the field of view isn't quite as wide (140m vs. 150), but the view is sharp and bright, and it feels good in the hand. I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.

the 7x42 FL is actually only 740 g, at least on my scale,
o:)

I think it's so light and compact (shorter than 8x42 FL) that I don't wish for a 8x32 any more, I have had both leica 8x32 BN and zeiss 8x32 BGAT, and been tempted by the 8x32 swarovision.

The 7x42 FL is far from perfect but I think its a bit odd and very charm full.
And the resolution is amazing,

Sometimes I miss the nikon "vivid picture mode" as we call it, (also in their cameras) but I have a Nikon scope also, so I get my daily dose of sparkling contrasty views anyway.

The 7x42 SLC is probably one of the most solid bins ever made,
its a tank, a brick to keep you in place when the wind blows,..and if you dont like the SLC you could always use it as a book support,
3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back