• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

190MF3/V Lt Wt Tripod for Swarovski ATS65 (1 Viewer)

mj266

My wife uses a Swarovski ATS65. She does not do any digiscoping or hang anything else on her scope. She is a small woman and very interested in the lightest weight tripod she can use for her scope due to carrying it up the mountain.

I have been looking at the Gitzo 1227, the Manfrotto 190MF3 and 055MF3. From what I have read, the Gitzo's probably the best, but it's awfully pricey. The 190MF magfiber manfrotto is the lighter of the two manfrotto tripods, but I have some concern about the stability for her. I do not have this concern with the 055, but that carries more weight. Specifically, I have been considering the new manfrotto view package with the 190MFV and 700RC2 head.

The ATS65 is a small scope - perhaps the 190MF3 is stable enough for it? Is there anyone out there using the ATS65 or similar weight scope with the 190MF3 or 190MFV? I would love to hear your thoughts on this question.

Thanks a bunch for your advice!

Either on the Manfrottos woudl be fine, though personally I'm not a fan of the 700 head, I think you'd be better buying a bigger head and carrying the little extra weight.

Another good lightweight option would be the Velbon Sherpa 600 - it's a lot cheaper than the magfibre Manfrottos (less than half the price) and would easily support you Swarovski scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back