• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

701RC Adjusting Counterbalance? (1 Viewer)

ftwizard

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, but have been viewing for a couple of years.
I have a 701RC head, and I'm using a Nikon ED111 scope, and I'm finding the counterbalance is just too much, even with the adjustable plate fully forward.
I was wondering if there is some sort of adjustment to the counterbalance spring to match it to the weight of the scope.
Thanks.

Wayne.

Don't understand - if "the counterbalance is too much why don't you return the sliding centre (q/r) plate adjuster nearer to the central / neutral position? Am I misunderstanding your submission or just being thick - sorry. Otherwise contact Manfrotto directly regarding any spring tension adjustment....good luck

PYRTLE said:
Don't understand - if "the counterbalance is too much why don't you return the sliding centre (q/r) plate adjuster nearer to the central / neutral position? Am I misunderstanding your submission or just being thick - sorry. Otherwise contact Manfrotto directly regarding any spring tension adjustment....good luck
Sorry, probably my fault.
The counterbalance tries to tilt the scope backwards, to compensate for a heavy lens. As the ED111 doesn't have a heavy overhang at the front, it will tilt backwards. There is no neutral point as such.
Wayne.

ftwizard said:
Sorry, probably my fault.
The counterbalance tries to tilt the scope backwards, to compensate for a heavy lens. As the ED111 doesn't have a heavy overhang at the front, it will tilt backwards. There is no neutral point as such.
Wayne.
Hi Wayne,
The nikon has its mounting ring quite far forward compared to other scopes, which is causing the problem. My mate contacted Manfrotto a while ago about spring tension and it is not adjustable. However, my mate discovered that the spring is stronger in the forward position pulling the scope backwards, than it is the other way, ie scope pointing to the sky, which is the resting position for your scope. My mate reversed the scope on the plate. The only difference is the pan handle is now on the left, and he has virtually eliminated the problem. I have a Zeiss diascope 85 and it plummets forward, since it has its weight at the front. I've always got to keep some friction on the head to prevent this.

To see how unbalanced your scope is, remove the pan handle, which is quite heavy in the 701 and might be adding its pull to that of the scope.

Jon :h?:

edge1255 said:
Hi Wayne,
The nikon has its mounting ring quite far forward compared to other scopes, which is causing the problem. My mate contacted Manfrotto a while ago about spring tension and it is not adjustable. However, my mate discovered that the spring is stronger in the forward position pulling the scope backwards, than it is the other way, ie scope pointing to the sky, which is the resting position for your scope. My mate reversed the scope on the plate. The only difference is the pan handle is now on the left, and he has virtually eliminated the problem. I have a Zeiss diascope 85 and it plummets forward, since it has its weight at the front. I've always got to keep some friction on the head to prevent this.

To see how unbalanced your scope is, remove the pan handle, which is quite heavy in the 701 and might be adding its pull to that of the scope.

Jon :h?:
Now that's a good idea. I tried it with the bar removed, and it balances quite well, but I think I'd like to keep the handle for now.
I'll try reversing the scope today.
Wayne.

Snag. I can't reverse the QR plate without removing the locating pin.
I think i'll just leave a little friction on the head like everyone else.
Seems a shame the tension isn't adjustable though.
Wayne.

ftwizard said:
Snag. I can't reverse the QR plate without removing the locating pin.
I think i'll just leave a little friction on the head like everyone else.
Seems a shame the tension isn't adjustable though.
Wayne.

This thread baffles me. I have the same setup and have no problems. Sometimes I move the sliding plate forward a little when I'm digiscoping.

Do you have a faulty 701RC2?

A Question Of Balance

ftwizard said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, but have been viewing for a couple of years.
I have a 701RC head, and I'm using a Nikon ED111 scope, and I'm finding the counterbalance is just too much, even with the adjustable plate fully forward.
I was wondering if there is some sort of adjustment to the counterbalance spring to match it to the weight of the scope.
Thanks.

Wayne.
You may find this option I posted some time ago useful? It requires a few basic workshop tools but it does help and after several months of use I have had no problems.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=35743

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back