• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ28/FZ18 battery life (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
A friend of mine is thinking of buying a FZ28, but couldn't find any information about battery life. Could any of the FZ18 or FZ28 users here shed any light about how long a charged-up battery will last in normal use?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Battery life is pretty good on the FZ18. Always wise to have a spare charged battery with you but Panasonic quote about 400 pics per charge at 20C.

In my experience the battery normally lasts about a day and a half on safari with heavy shooting (burst mode), review and deletion of shots afterwards, but it depends on the make. If It helps, I bought five batteries in total for a trip to Botswana because for half the time we were camping so did not have access to electricity, so that was from the 7th to the 14th November and I think I still had two fully charged batteries left.

The powermart brand (ebay) do not last as long. I got one Hahnel battery which is very good, and two others from 7dayshop which are also very good.

The powermart brand (ebay) do not last as long. I got one Hahnel battery which is very good, and two others from 7dayshop which are also very good.

I have Impacts which I bought from B&H. They are rated at a somewhat higher capacity than the originals, and that difference is quite noticeable.

I have not yet have any problems with the battery in my FZ18 so far *knock on wood*. I take about 100-200 photos per outing (of about 2-3 hours), and it never ran out of juice. And I always charge just before I go to sleep so it's ready for the next day.

I have not yet have any problems with the battery in my FZ18 so far *knock on wood*. I take about 100-200 photos per outing (of about 2-3 hours), and it never ran out of juice. And I always charge just before I go to sleep so it's ready for the next day.

I chose to have two (original) batteries; I dont change before the one in the camera reports low power, and then will soon recharge; I have never had both run down on the same day. The part of letting the battery run down before recharging should increase overall battery life, I think.

Niels

....... The part of letting the battery run down before recharging should increase overall battery life, I think.

Niels

From what I read that is only true for Ni/Cd batteries. Panasonic uses Li-Ion technique, and apparently you can charge without such worries whenever you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back