• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ 28 camera settings with TCON-17 (1 Viewer)

Rother

Hi
had the FZ28 for 3 weeks just bought the TCON-17, having problems with the camera focussing using it the camera hunts and then focusses but mainly it doesnot focus.
What camera settings are you using when using the TCON-17.

many thanks

rother

There is a setting in the camera menus to let it know you are using a teleconverter. It doen't seem to make a huge difference on my FZ18 whether this is set or not, but it might be more important on the FZ28. Reasonably good light is necessary to get a good quick focus, and also a non-distracting background. The autofocus will always struggle with a background of branches or the like. Setting a centre or centre weighted focus point may help. It's also worth searching for theads on the FZ18 and FZ28 as the issue of preferred settings has been discussed before.

Hi
thanks for that info, i tried to use centre weighted focus but using P and A settings, in the menu the AF mode is greyed out.
i cannot see a way of changing it is this the same on the FZ18

I use aperture priority on my FZ18, and has focus set to the smallest center option in the menu. I have not seen a greyed out option?

Niels

It might be that you have it set on intelligent ISO- My friend has the FZ28 and we noticed that if you had that enabled some of the other funtctions were greyed out (Which I'm sure were accessible on the FZ18).

I have the FZ18 and I usually set the focus to Centre weighted high speed (should be a small square symbol with a "H" next to it).

I normally set the ISO to 100 if the light is good enough and adjust it uopwards if needed

I normally use either P or Aperture priority.

If I'm using the TCON-17 I'll set it to teleconverter mode- but I have used it without setting it to this mode in the menu and have not noticed any difference in performance. The only thing it seems to do is automatically zoom in to avoid vignetting. The downside is if you forget to reset the camera when you take the TCON off you cannot zoom all the way out to take a wide angle shot.

kittykat23uk
I think you are right, i must have something set that is stopping me access it, i have found that if i use custom settings all settings are available. i will have to check if intelligent ISO is set.
i cannot touch the camera at the moment as i have just applied some smartwater in case it gets stolen.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back