• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on memory cards (1 Viewer)

Grando

Hi,
I've just bought an FZ28 and was wondering if anyone could recommend what the best (in terms of speed and price) memory cards to use are. I have a couple of existing SD cards, but know nothing about SDHC cards.

Also, for bird shots, what is the best quick setting to use when I want to quickly take a x18 shot without messing about with the settings?

Thanks!

Grando

I have the predecessor, the FZ18. I use a large SDHC card from Sandisk, and my wife uses a similar card in her Canon G10. They work fine. The only disadvantage of SDHC is that you may need a new reader, your general SD reader will only work if it is relatively new.

My camera (again FZ18, not 28) has a setting so that tells the zoom to return to the last setting used; it is hidden in the menu part that has a hammer symbol, not in the part you get directly into: put that one to "on".

Other than that, my camera lives in the mode with IS on in type 2, AF not continous (this is only to save on battery, and it might actually be better to leave that as on at least initially), AF Area the smallest possible, Metering at Spot, and ISO at ISO-max 400 (I often find myself shooting in forest and similar dark spots). I use mode A on the wheel (aperture priority), with aperture set to wide open.

It is my impression that the difference between the two cameras is not too big, so I hope this will help you get started.

Niels

Hi,
I've just bought an FZ28 and was wondering if anyone could recommend what the best (in terms of speed and price) memory cards to use are. I have a couple of existing SD cards, but know nothing about SDHC cards.

Also, for bird shots, what is the best quick setting to use when I want to quickly take a x18 shot without messing about with the settings?

Thanks!

Grando

With the rather low prices these days, I think it's more important to get a good card than to save a few bucks. I have only SanDisks of the Extreme III type now. I use them both in my FZ8 and in my FZ28. The 28 is mostly for HD videos, and thus a 4 GB version was in order when I bought it. 2 GB cards serve as reserve when I take too many video sequences. I may add a 8 GB card in the near future. For the FZ8, I use 2 GB cards only. So far, they have never failed me (unlike some others I had used previously). As for speed, the FZ8 is faster than the FZ28, so it's not just the card that can slow you down. But the picture quality in the low light areas is better in the 28. Looks like this comes at a price in speed.

My setting is in continuous AF. To compensate, I try to always have a second battery along. For this, I bought a generic model with higher capacity which is quite noticeable.

I also use the function where the zoom returns to the previous setting when the camera is turned on.

Last edited:
The Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III cards are very good, I tended to use those with my old SLR and now I've upgraded that those cards get used for my little Panasonic. For my camera they're way over-specced but for video they've got great speed headroom. The 'plus' cards are great, they've a built-in usb plug! Saves hunting around for the card reader.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back