• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monday 12th July at Oare Marshes, Kent (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
Yesterday I went to Oare marshes. It was low tide which isn't the best of times to go, but I did see lots to keep me busy.

The number of Ruff moulting out of breeding plumage is increasing steadily. There were 12 gaudy looking birds ranging from rufous in colour through to mostly black and mostly white. I've included photos of two below.

A hepatic female Cuckoo flew over the East Lagoon and landed in a bush. It was a strange looking bird. Originally I thought it to be a female Kestrel until the Cuckoo jizz dispelled that idea. I can't recall seeing one before and don't know how scarce or not these are - has anyone got any information?

On the West Lagoon were four Green Sandpipers one of which had a head pattern and heavy spotting on the upperparts that gave it the impression at times of being a Wood Sandpiper (see the two photos below). I think it was the boldness of the supercilium and the impression of it extending behind the eye (visible in one of the photos) that helped create this illusion.

A Hobby was watched flying across the Swale and gave a brilliant view in front of me as it flew over the West lagoon. Four Marsh Harriers were also in the vicinity.

The number of Ruddy Ducks is increasing on the East Lagoon too. Usually there is one pair. Last week I saw two drakes and two females. Today I saw three drakes and a female. I wouldn't be surprised if there are three pairs. They favour the edge of the reedbeds and can be elusive to see.

Three Little Egrets were also flying around as were two juvenile Yellow Wagtails which landed once or twice on the muddy islands in the East lagoon. Most of the time they stayed in the long grass out of sight.

As usual, Oare provided a lot to see even if the number of Black-Tailed Godwits seen was only ten and not the 600 or so that frequent the lagoons at high tide!

Regards,
Lancey

Attachments

• 12-jul-04 002.jpg
    12-jul-04 002.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 12-jul-04 003.jpg
    12-jul-04 003.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 12-jul-04 007.jpg
    12-jul-04 007.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 12-jul-04 008.jpg
    12-jul-04 008.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 126
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back