• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need a UV lens Filter (1 Viewer)

spatter

Hi, whats the best all around lens filter for Binoculars?
i don't think i want a Haze filter, but i guess someone knows better then me,
let me know,

Fitting the filter is a problem.

Very few binoculars have a filter thread on the objectives. Two come to mine: Kowa Genesis 44mm and the Canon IS 10x40 L takes 52mm filters (Canon do cameras!).

If you ear eyeglasses that's often the best place to do any filtering.

The Leupold Gold Ring binocular has an available series of screw in the objective lens filters of various colors, specific to the GR. Like Kevin says, almost no binoculars are threaded to accept anything like that. Leupold is the only one that comes immediately to mind.

You sometimes see military spec binoculars with various filters, but the quality of the optics of those few I've seen haven't impressed me much.

Other than that, I'd say to look for a binocular that will have enough eye relief to work with tinted lenses of sunglasses. One can get various sunglasses with nearly any imaginable tint, many with substantial UV protection.

I want to protect the lens from dust and finger smudges

I thinkyou are taking a camera-like approach to protecting the lenses which doesn't work so well with bins (if they had filter threads it would!).

To deal with your core issues:

0. Care in handling helps. It mostly works though I've but the odd finger print on a lens.

1. Use tethered objective caps. They stay with the bin and you can cover the objective when not using them. That helps a lot with dust and fingerprints. Keep the bin in the case when not actively on use on a trip to reduce exposure to dust.

2. Keep dust of the lens with a blower after each trip.

3. A small fingerprint doesn't cause too many problems so most of the time ignore it. Keep a clean microfiber cloth in a plastic bag (so it doesn't accumulate grit that might damage the lens) and breath on the lens and wipe it clean. Works for most fingerprints.

4. A clean the bin only a couple of times a year (unless you salt it up). With new waterproof and fogproof bins soap or detergent and water and a clean fingertip are very effective ways to clean a lens. You only need to do it when the lens gets pretty dirty -- not mroe than once every 6 months.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much. The glass is tougher than you think.

I suspect that the reason not many binoculars are equipped with either filter attachment or that there are few filters to be found is that the demand for that is to low (even non existent) for them to be considered.

Seems like it is just adding another layer of glass that may be unnecessary.

i figured they all have threads, but i'm wondering if it's a good idea using a Haze
or just a UV filter

Very few have threads. They are handy to have though.

i figured they all have threads, but i'm wondering if it's a good idea using a Haze
or just a UV filter

If you are birding you don't want a colored filter on your bin (a haze filter will take off some of the blue).

Use either a AR coated UV filter, neutral density (grey) filter (in bright environments) or a grey polarizing filter (useful looking out onto water or sand in the direction of the sun).

Last edited:
"Simulated Image" it says

It's also a simulated photograph from a camera ... film (and even CCDs) is a bit more sensitive to near UV than human eyes so you can get fogging from scatter like that.

But just looking through a UV filter you don't see any difference except for a little less visible light.

On a bin it would make no difference ... it's only there for protection (and keeping the dust and some rain out some of the time ... that would be handy).

Hi, whats the best all around lens filter for Binoculars?
i don't think i want a Haze filter, but i guess someone knows better then me,
let me know,

Spatter, which Binocular do you own? In my experience, other than in some special photografic situations, the view through optics doesn´t benift from UV filters. I simply cannot see any difference when using a scope with or without uv or skylight filters. In some cases I found even some kind of degrading of the image caused by such filters. There is a kind of filter use that I can recommend, not for general use but for birdwatching at the water, e.g. for seawatching. There we have often situations where bright sunlight causes reflections at the water. A polarizing filter is able to reduce these reflection in a way that is very comfortable to the eye. Such a filter does also make sense for lots of photographic situations where reflections of light deteriorate details of the image. The big Canon binoculars have a 58mm thread as well as some quite common photo lenses. So if one owns already a compatible photo lens it´s possible to get some nice kind of synergy effect by buying such a filter. Note: if the threads aren´t full compatible it´s possible to bridge one step in thread size (e.g. 55mm->58mm) by using a thread adapter.

Steve

I didn't decide which one i'm owning, i have a 15x50 as a loaner here, and today i'm getting my 18x50, but the 18x50 is older with blue tint, and the 15x50 is the one with purple tint, but i didn't decide yet which one i'm keeping, they both have 58mm threads,

Spatter, which Binocular do you own? In my experience, other than in some special photografic situations, the view through optics doesn´t benift from UV filters. I simply cannot see any difference when using a scope with or without uv or skylight filters. In some cases I found even some kind of degrading of the image caused by such filters. There is a kind of filter use that I can recommend, not for general use but for birdwatching at the water, e.g. for seawatching. There we have often situations where bright sunlight causes reflections at the water. A polarizing filter is able to reduce these reflection in a way that is very comfortable to the eye. Such a filter does also make sense for lots of photographic situations where reflections of light deteriorate details of the image. The big Canon binoculars have a 58mm thread as well as some quite common photo lenses. So if one owns already a compatible photo lens it´s possible to get some nice kind of synergy effect by buying such a filter. Note: if the threads aren´t full compatible it´s possible to bridge one step in thread size (e.g. 55mm->58mm) by using a thread adapter.

Steve

You may want to upgrade your binoculars to a pair with better coatings. If you're after the best image quality, adding another (usually inferior) piece of glass to the front can degrade image quality. I occasionally use a polarizer or warming filter, but won't put a UV filter in front of a good lens.

the UV glass isn't noticable in any way, i've seen pros having them permanently on 2,000 dollar lenses, but i think the haze wouldn't work too good in all conditions,

I suspect that the reason not many binoculars are equipped with either filter attachment or that there are few filters to be found is that the demand for that is to low (even non existent) for them to be considered.

Seems like it is just adding another layer of glass that may be unnecessary.

i don't want better coatings, i want to UV filter mine and having the lens protected so i quickly wipe of the dirt, dust, etc with a quick swipe with a napkin or whatever, instead of trying to polish a lens and hoping i don't ruin the whole binocular

You may want to upgrade your binoculars to a pair with better coatings. If you're after the best image quality, adding another (usually inferior) piece of glass to the front can degrade image quality. I occasionally use a polarizer or warming filter, but won't put a UV filter in front of a good lens.

Yes Kevin, you're right, it does take out the blue just slightly,
i'll check out the others you suggested, thanks for the input,

Very few have threads. They are handy to have though.

If you are birding you don't want a colored filter on your bin (a haze filter will take off some of the blue).

Use either a AR coated UV filter, neutral density (grey) filter (in bright environments) or a grey polarizing filter (useful looking out onto water or sand in the direction of the sun).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back