• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Objective Cover for ED78? (1 Viewer)

MacGee

I'm looking for an objective lens cap/cover for my Nikon ED78 Fieldscope. Nikon don't seem to produce them any more. Is there a standard camera lens cover that would do, or does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks.

Michael

Some day I'm going to have the same question. My original cap split after many years of use, and when I got a replacement from Nikon USA they said it was the last one that they had, or would ever have. Since that cap is still in good shape, I've not searched in detail, but since I know it will break some day, I've kept an eye out for an appropriate product. I think the best bet is to buy a "push-on" or "slip on" cap made to fit the outside diameter of the objective lens cell, just as the original Nikon cap does. I can't remember the outside diameter of the 78 ED, maybe something like 85 mm?

Orion has some, but I think none are big enough.
http://www.telescope.com/Accessorie...Binoculars/c/3/sc/43/p/7616.uts?ensembleId=10

A better bet might be Kaiser. They make push-on caps in a zillion sizes.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lens-Caps/ci/297/pn/3/N/4277997919+4291393134

You can do a more thorough search of what is available on the B&H website by looking at the lens cap menu and then filtering by "Slip-On" under cap type.

--AP

Thanks, Alexis. I'm very sorry for the delay in replying—I live in my own private time zone.

I did find a source for Kaiser lens caps in the UK, but the price seemed a bit high for a bit of plastic: $23 including postage. I was mulling it over—and in the meantime have bought a second hand one on eBay for about $9. This one seems okay, so I'll make do with it for the moment while leaving my search on eBay and going through the rummage boxes at Bird Reserves.

Thanks again for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back