• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Stint (1 Viewer)

I think it is a Little Stint, spotted on the Northumberland coast last week, I guess they are making their way south from the Arctic down to Africa

Attachments

• littlestints_2547.JPG
    littlestints_2547.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 106
They look more like Sanderling I think, but not easy to tell from this angle - but going the same way!
Mick

Oh Well ! 2nd post and I have embarrassed myself already (there will be plenty more to come like that)

I had thought Sanderling but then changed my mind to Little Stint. What convinces you this is a Sanderling over a Stint ?

I am very new to Birding and am here to learn

Hi The Cyclist and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

BTW you're probably better to post identification problems in the ID forum, where more people, with the right skills, are likely to see your post. ..... ummm that's not to say that the above responders don't have the 'right skills' 'cos they do;)

BTW you're probably better to post identification problems in the ID forum, where more people, with the right skills, are likely to see your post. ..... ummm that's not to say that the above responders don't have the 'right skills' 'cos they do;)

Agree with Delia, because with photos like these where 'jizz' is difficult to determine (how they move and feed), and details of feathers are not really that clear, it is often just an overall 'feel' that forms the judgement. In this case they just 'look like' Sanderling to me, even though both birds are small, have black legs, short bills, and at this time of year have a mottled/spangled back and coverts mixed brown, buff and white as they transition from summer to winter plumage.

Here the bill looks too stout for LS with a wide base, and there looks to be more red-brown remnants of summer plumage on the neck/upper breast than is usual in LS.

In the field how they move and feed is usually very different, but that's tricky from a photo!

So while I'm pretty sure they're Sanderling, I might well be wrong, and have been before and will be again. If you don't get 'embarrassed' on here its because you don't post! Trust me you haven't.

Welcome, by the way

Mick

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back