• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

You to birds, or birds to you? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Having tried very briefly to digi-scope some woodland birds, i quickly realised how differcult the challenge is gonna be.... :eek!: Made me realise too, just how good the shots we have in the gallery are!

If this is an area that you have success, digi-scoping woodland birds, do you go looking for 'that' bird or do you pitch up somewhere and wait for them to come your way?

What techniques do you find effective in this area?

Pretty frustrated, and lookin for some good ideas,

thanks,

tracker

I think it may be a combination ,Tracker.If you know an area where the birds frequent,and set up your equipment and patiently wait,then you will be prepared.But just going off and seeing birds which are around in a particular place flying to and fro,gives you time to again set everything up and wait for the right opportunity.But often I have seen a bird in a perfect pose,and by the time I have sorted everything the bird has flown and everything has to be put away again.This is where digi-scoping can be a bit of a pain.Spring is on the way,Tracker,go off to the woods and I am sure you will find plenty of subject.You could go off for a few days just to check out where you do see the most bird activity,just with binoculars and make a note of the best place to set up tripod etc for digi scoping.Birds are birds ,Tracker,and they will fly away.Stand in your garden ,or backyard,and observe the chimney pots etc,you will be surprised at how many opportunities there are to practise your shots.

A fellow birder from my area has been a photographer for years (not digital), he can spend weeks setting up a shot establishing hides and gradually moving them closer to gain that perfect photo.

He often achieves remarkable pictures, he has a lot of patience and a good knowledge of wildlife.

Perhaps we expect too much from digiscoping as we often see great pics and feel it is all so easy, i know i did but im learning that i have along way to go.

Regards Cuddy.

I'm pretty much a set up and wait type of person and am usually rewarded within a matter of minutes.

Now when I was in Fl, it was a different story and I cursed myself for bringing the heavy swaro tripod cause we logged about 10 miles each day. Only vacation I have been on where I lost weight. :)

cuddy said:
Perhaps we expect too much from digiscoping as we often see great pics and feel it is all so easy, i know i did but im learning that i have along way to go.
Regards Cuddy.

Good point, cuddy. I think i have the patience, but can run ahead of myself sometimes.

tracker

KCFoggin said:
Now when I was in Fl, it was a different story and I cursed myself for bringing the heavy swaro tripod cause we logged about 10 miles each day. Only vacation I have been on where I lost weight. :)

Now that can be a real pain, i quite agree! When you have too much gear with ya, and its not needed.....keeps you fit though....doesnt it?.....well i keep telling myself that..... ;)

tracker

All that goes for traditional bird photography applies to digiscoping, especially for the really good shots. A knowledge of the subject's behaviour, a hide (or at least some cover) and plenty of patience are vital. You may not have to get quite as close as the traditional photographer but it's still often within the bird's natural circle of fear...bait up if need be with some species.

Andy Bright said:
bait up if need be with some species.

You mean as in feed them when and where possible, Andy? Ive just been talking to Christine about this very point. She made the suggestion to feed the birds, in woodland, to encourage them to come down.

All very useful suggestions,

thanks,

tracker

Yes, but it's not practical with too many species. The traditional nuts wedged into a crevice in a tree trunk for a Nuthatch is a well known one, but most of the tit family are not adverse to the odd handout and finches/buntings cn oblige. It takes time, so don't expect to have success within an hour of putting some food out...just find a suitable clearing with some obvious birdy activity and put some bits out as often as possible.

Try to think ahead for the photo opportunity so the birds will be in a photogenic postion (and keep sunlight in mind), birds don't look too great when they're on the deck but they look great on a log.

Get hold of a decent bird photography book and study the pro's tecnique with feeding stations. Hopefully someone with far more knowledge on the subject than myself will contribute to the thread and give you some better tips.

Regards,
Andy

tracker said:
You mean as in feed them when and where possible, Andy? Ive just been talking to Christine about this very point. She made the suggestion to feed the birds, in woodland, to encourage them to come down.

All very useful suggestions,

thanks,

tracker

Thanks Andy. I think im just trying to get a 'feel' for how some digi-scopers manage to get their really good shots. I'd say i have an eye for framing a bird, etc.....but once when i was out, in a local wooded area, recently.......i thought 'wow, how the hell am i gonna get a piccie anywhere near as good as some of those ive seen at BF?'...and i felt a little disheartened. Hence my initial question on this thread.

Thanks for your input.......... :t:

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back