• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corvoidea (1 Viewer)

I doubt some of these will gain widespread acceptance - Platylophus & Eurocephalus in the same genus, for instance.
In Genbank, Eurocephalus is represented only by two sequences: ND2 and 12s-rRNA (+ a few tens of bp of flanking tRNAs). Platylophus is represented by 6 sequences, but no ND2 and no 12s-rRNA.
If they used only data from GenBank (which is my understanding; the list of accession numbers is also in the supplementary material, I think), they simply cannot have any meaningful estimate of the divergence time between these two taxa.

If they used only data from GenBank (which is my understanding; the list of accession numbers is also in the supplementary material, I think), they simply cannot have any meaningful estimate of the divergence time between these two taxa.
Jønsson et al (my emphasis)...
For genera the situation is more complex and requires a much greater amount of renaming, and possibly the addition of more molecular data to confidently establish phylogenetic relationships around the genus-level time limits. ... At the genus level it appears that, despite our aim to minimize taxonomic disruption, a greater number of changes are necessary to obtain a temporally consistent taxonomy. However, our temporally consistent taxonomy may stimulate a re-evaluation of certain genera within Corvides, ...
Perhaps it should be taken only as a potential temporally consistent treatment (given the available data), not as a definitively proposed taxonomy (particularly given that it's only provided as supplementary material)?

Last edited:
Jønsson et al (my emphasis)...

Perhaps it should be taken only as a potential temporally consistent treatment (given the available data), not as a definitively proposed taxonomy (particularly given that it's only provided as supplementary material)?

Yes, this would be the best way to treat it I guess. I'll try not to get too worked up over a potential "Platylophus anguitimens." ;)

Jønsson, Fabre, Kennedy, Holt, Borregaard, Rahbek & Fjeldså (in press). A supermatrix phylogeny of corvoid passerine birds (Aves: Corvides). Mol Phylogenet Evol.

Suggested Classification PART 1

Family 1 - Pachycephalidae etc

Many thanks andrew147 B :)
Only just discovered this paper and was keen to see the suggested generic treatment.

Can foresee difficulties using temporal banding to define generic boundaries in other clades too but I think it was still well worth the attempt

Kennedy, J. D., Borregaard, M. K., Jønsson, K. A., Holt, B., Fjeldså, J. and Rahbek, C. (2016), Does the colonization of new biogeographic regions influence the diversification and accumulation of clade richness among the Corvides (Aves: Passeriformes)?. Evolution. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/evo.13080

[abstract]

TiF Update May 31, 2017

Corvida: The Corvida tree has been updated based on Moyle et al. (2016). Their arrangement makes a bit more sense to me that the previous one, based primarly on Aggerbeck et al. (2014), Jønsson et al. (2016), and Marki et al. (2015). I like the biogeography a bit better and some families that seemed a bit odd together are no longer together. I'm hoping the changes are more progress than churn. A fuller discussion of the changes is in the taxonomic section of the Corvida I page. Some changes to Passerida based on Moyle et al. may have to wait until I am done with summer travel.

Corvoidea - Indo-Pacific

Jønsson K.A., Krabbe Borregaard M., Wisbech Carstensen D., Hansen L.A., Kennedy J.D., Machac A., Marki P.Z., Fjeldså J. & Rahbek C., 2017. Biogeography and biotic assembly of Indo-Pacific corvoid passerine birds. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst.: 48: 231–253.

Abstract

Last edited:
Turnagridae is quite well established, while Keropiinae is certainly not (I have not seen it used in a published work after 1899, actually), hence I would not use the latter to displace the former.

Is Keropia really a synonym of Turnagra ?

(Gray 1840, when introducing this name listed two distinct taxonomic species as being both "typical species", Keropia crassirostris (Lath.) (syn. capensis Sparrman, macularia Quoy & Gaimard) and Keropia striata (Vigors). Calling two species "typical" at the same time does not amount to a valid type designation. Gray 1841 made Keropia a synonym of Turnagra, and listed the same two species as the "typical species" of the latter. Gray 1846 made Keropia "coequal" with Turnagra, and included crassirostris positively and striata with a query; but he did not designate a type. Although it seems quite clear that Gray, at that point, would have regarded crassirostris as the type of the name, he did not make this explicit in print. Meanwhile, an alternative view, which centred on striata, developed elsewhere (see Blyth 1842), and the first actual type designation I have seen is by Bonaparte 1850, who called striata the type.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back